Why become a member? ×

How do we get rid of the 'Privacy' tab that's now appeared??

binky_bass

Question

Again, there's no 'reject cookies' button, and for the layman, no concise and clear instruction on how to reject cookies which continues to be disappointing and not in line with what I believe are our collective basschat morales, but it is an improvement at least on the 'Got It' we had before...

However, I am now seeing a tab on the left had side of every basschat page I navigate to that says 'Privacy'. How do I get rid of this? It might be minor, but having it follow me everywhere on the site is completely unnecessary and quite annoying.

Screenshot_20230927_092201_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.171ad0de53582e247366e79934e6eb5b.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, upside downer said:

Got rid of the 'Privacy' tab but I'm on a Samsung Android phone and can't clear it. Annoyingly, it covers the text I'm trying to read. Any easy way to get rid of it?

This whole, shambolic Ezoic business is getting right up the noses of many Basschatters.

Comment withdrawn.

Edited by binky_bass

7 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Yep. Ruining browsing on an iPhone. 

I’m off until it’s resolved (if ever).

This is basic stuff. Feels like it’s becoming more difficult to use the site each day. 

Granted it’s slightly annoying, and I’d rather it wasn’t there, but in what sense has it ruined it? I’m on an iPhone now and I’m managing OK.

48 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Granted it’s slightly annoying, and I’d rather it wasn’t there, but in what sense has it ruined it? I’m on an iPhone now and I’m managing OK.

For some reason I keep getting the big “accept cookies” box - seems like it’s random when I get it. Once closed I get the privacy tab, but it’s back again within a few pages. 

If you use a blocker to remove the tab all you are doing removing the ability to user edit the settings. It doesn't prevent Ezoic or even Basschat from changing the default settings behind your back. The current use of the tab is poor coding. If it must be there it should be a link at the bottom of the page next to the (now out of date) Cookies one.

I currently have Basschat sandboxed in its own browser which is only used to view Basschat and nothing else. It is also set to delete all cookies on exit, which has the added advantage that I'll get the privacy menu pop up when I log in and check if any settings have changed. I've removed the Basschat bookmark from usual browser so I don't inadvertently click on it while doing my other browsing. This also means that the Basschat bookmark has been removed from both my phone and tablet, so I won't be viewing it on either of these devices.

I notice that neither @Kiwi or @dewww have seen fit to comment since this all kicked off.

• Like 3

I think it might be less intrusive if it had been set up to slide out only when you hover/press on it, while simply appearing as a thin orange line at all other times.

What grates most is that, in any case, we haven't got complete control over the cookies we're having to put up with from this new, intrusive collaboration, so having constant access to a fundamentally unsatisfactory Privacy Settings panel looks very much like a joke being played on us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

If you use a blocker to remove the tab all you are doing removing the ability to user edit the settings. It doesn't prevent Ezoic or even Basschat from changing the default settings behind your back. The current use of the tab is poor coding. If it must be there it should be a link at the bottom of the page next to the (now out of date) Cookies one.

I currently have Basschat sandboxed in its own browser which is only used to view Basschat and nothing else. It is also set to delete all cookies on exit, which has the added advantage that I'll get the privacy menu pop up when I log in and check if any settings have changed. I've removed the Basschat bookmark from usual browser so I don't inadvertently click on it while doing my other browsing. This also means that the Basschat bookmark has been removed from both my phone and tablet, so I won't be viewing it on either of these devices.

I notice that neither @Kiwi or @dewww have seen fit to comment since this all kicked off.

So how do you do this? ie how would I do this on a cheapo tablet android thingy?

Old geezer idiots version needed for me btw 😁

2 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

So how do you do this? ie how would I do this on a cheapo tablet android thingy?

Old geezer idiots version needed for me btw 😁

I have no idea how to do it on a tablet or if it is even possible as I believe some apps on mobile devices will share data anyway as a way to keep their memory footprint as small as possible.

I used to do quite a bit of on-line design and therefore I have every single common browser installed on my Mac for testing purposes. All I have done is use Opera which was otherwise doing nothing at the moment and set it up so that Basschat is the home page. I already had it set to delete all cookies on quit, as well as blocking ads and trackers. All I do in this browser is to view Basschat pages. I haven't wanted to check any links on Basschat in the last 24 hours but should I want to I'll be copying and pasting them into a text editor first to ensure that they aren't bringing any tracking information with them before editing (if necessary) and pasting them into my normal browser.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Oh well, as long as you're managing OK, then everyone must be managing OK, right?  I'm sure there are people on the Aspergers/autism spectrum who are having a lovely time with this right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Oh well, as long as you're managing OK, then everyone must be managing OK, right?  I'm sure there are people on the Aspergers/autism spectrum who are having a lovely time with this right now.

I remember the days when you could politely ask an honest question without someone jumping down your throat.

Edited by wateroftyne

OK, two questions to which I would really appreciate simple answers (hey, I'm a plug and play Precision player, I like simplicity)....

1. In real terms - and irrespective of the madness of ticking/unticking thousands of boxes if we so desired - what is the fuss actually about?

2. How the hell does this thread work, posts keep moving?

Thanks all 👍

@Beedster Your second point is easily answered. You can set the support threads to be ordered by date or post popularity (the idea being that posts that actually solve the problem are voted up to the top of the thread. If you change the view to date (go to the first post in the thread and just below it there is are two buttons that allow you to change the post sorting) then the posts will stop moving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've already said this on the DoI thread, but felt it better to drop here as well. Basically, I hate this cookie stuff. I don't want it, never asked for it and, like others here, would like a 'reject and never come back' button. Been a member here for a good number of years, but this annoying and persistent garbage is going to drive me off the site. Could rant on, but it's obvious how I feel - if I am in the minority over this, that's fair enough and I should go. A shame though, as I used to enjoy this BC stuff.

Edited by snorkie635
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

OK, two questions to which I would really appreciate simple answers (hey, I'm a plug and play Precision player, I like simplicity)....

1. In real terms - and irrespective of the madness of ticking/unticking thousands of boxes if we so desired - what is the fuss actually about?

2. How the hell does this thread work, posts keep moving?

Thanks all 👍

Inadvertently (stupidly) I consented to some cookies on another website whilst using non Adblocked device. The subsequent deluge of adverts and flooding of my email spam box were clearly related. Wasted some time unsubscribing from shi*e unwanted email ads. My fuss is about personal privacy and my data. Who knows what social media manipulation may follow from the organisations. Through choice the only social media I use is bc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, snorkie635 said:

I Could rant on, but it's obvious how I feel - if I am in the minority over this, that's fair enough and I should go. A shame though, as I used to enjoy this BC stuff.

You're probably not in the minority and I suspect there's a number of members who will just slip quietly away. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, snorkie635 said:

I've already said this on the DoI thread, but felt it better to drop here as well. Basically, I hate this cookie stuff. I don't want it, never asked for it and, like others here, would like a 'reject and never come back' button. 

Exactly this.. I've been looking at various sites online, with assorted topics from here, to bus / railway modelling, to welding, etc etc.. More and more now seem to have a simple reject all button, it's obviously an easy standard template based setting. 

The only reason for the "powers that be" not doing it, must be they actually don't want to.. Why?.. £££? 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 3below said:

Inadvertently (stupidly) I consented to some cookies on another website whilst using non Adblocked device. The subsequent deluge of adverts and flooding of my email spam box were clearly related. Wasted some time unsubscribing from shi*e unwanted email ads. My fuss is about personal privacy and my data. Who knows what social media manipulation may follow from the organisations. Through choice the only social media I use is bc.

Ah OK, thanks @3below, I think I'll be a little more careful going forwards 👍

6 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Kiwi is on the case!

Thank you.  As much as I would love to be cast as the hero, I'm feeling seriously pissed off frustrated that things aren't turning out in the way they were supposed to.  It's not due to a lack of care on my part, this is why I wanted to trial things rather than impose a change.  I'm feeling pretty grateful that everyone has offered constructive feedback and some understanding.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3