Why become a member? ×

NBD - my first Rickenbacker

tvickey

NBD!  Just arrived yesterday... there appears to have been a large wave of new Rickenbackers in Matte Black finish that hit the UK recently...  This is the first Ric that I've ever owned.  

A few observations:  The fretboard is Caribbean Rosewood, and seems to have a light matte finish(?).  The knobs are more 'vintage' style, at least on this 2023 one.  The new-style bridge looks great to me, and really fit for purpose.  The stock strap-locks are apparently made by Schaller for Ric, so my locking straps snapped right in!  It's not very heavy, and to me the neck seems quite thin and slim. 

The store that I bought it from didn't bother with any kind of setup at all... there is no intonation set, and there is quite a lot of fret buzz at the moment (I'll fix that myself...).  The case contained very minimal stuff... a single dual-purpose certificate / warranty paper, together with a plastic bag containing a polishing cloth and some keys (assorted hex + case).  No manual! 

Stickers were removed on the first day.

A3035556-E0C7-43E5-86D9-4C20BBA6A8A6.jpeg

2BA68974-2101-49B5-B9D2-4B75797BC66D.heic A7B35AB5-D5FF-4642-9BB8-373843478545.heic 25D8F5CE-8623-4944-9A8D-C64B47C838FA.heic 5720CF65-8D1B-447F-920E-EF43D894222F.heic FEAADC73-0D29-4427-B1E6-09BB6AC98887.heic 12E73001-E99E-4C3D-B97F-593F0C7253EA.heic 09D8A5C6-C39E-4E93-A99D-841DF4F45D77.heic 3B6918C4-943B-47CC-AB79-6BD45B7BD41A.heic DA961C3F-2C66-4B6B-A506-2AAA1B481A8D.heic B8748E01-C9AF-4395-B266-944EAFF4DF84.heic

• Like 7

I recorded with my old Ric and the rough mix off the board was really nice and gnarly. Imagine my disappointment when we received the mastered tracks and all you can hear is generic bass, all that character had been EQed out :( . Fabulous sound and the reason I bought it. Sadly, it proved too heavy for me (should’ve bought the lighter walnut one 🤦🏻) and it had to go. Fabulous looking and sounding basses, enjoy.

• Like 1

On 22/09/2023 at 19:37, AndyTravis said:

Ah how I love the look of ric’s.

I had one for a couple of years.

I was so scared of damaging it, I sold it. How ridiculous.

I didn’t think I got on with the sound, but I listen to a track on an album I did with it and it’s instant regret each time.

IMG_4909.jpeg

Exactly what I did with my 4001CS and my 660-12 Tom Petty.

• Like 1

One of the few makes of bass I’ve never owned…… I’ve had a go on a couple but never owned one. A friend of mine had the CS, rare as the proverbial now I believe.

Anyway, looks absolutely lovely, especially in black, the best colour of course.

Inexcusable that the store, whoever it was, didn’t set it up. Pure laziness.

• Thanks 1

When I got my 4003 it wasn't set up either. The relief was all wrong so that it had a choke on the 3rd fret. The intonation was a fair bit off too and the pickups were too high. Plus, the case was broken with one of the studs having been bashed through the abs. It was new. Guitar Guitar couldn't have been more helpful and exchanged the case in a day and I did the "lower than the 9th circle of hell" setup on it. Sounds amazing now.

I only got it for a laugh and now it's one of my favourite basses.

• Like 3

On 22/09/2023 at 19:37, AndyTravis said:

Ah how I love the look of ric’s.

I had one for a couple of years.

I was so scared of damaging it, I sold it. How ridiculous.

I didn’t think I got on with the sound, but I listen to a track on an album I did with it and it’s instant regret each time.

I did think that way with the first 4003 I had (which I regrettably had to sell), but this current one, it's already acquired quite a few knocks & scrapes before I bought it. Definitely "player grade" / "roadworn".

Sounds immense though.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

"Stereo" out, ie seperates each pickup so you can stick each one through a separate amp, or whatever 

Sounds a bit fancy that , would only lead to more GAS for me , as if it wasn't bad enough with all these gorgeous instruments appearing lately

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

"Stereo" out, ie seperates each pickup so you can stick each one through a separate amp, or whatever 

So if that’s ‘Rick-O-Sound’, does that mean the Shaftesbury copies have ‘Shaft-O-Sound? And the Hondo copies have ‘Hond-O-Sound’?

Either way if had a spare three grand I wouldn’t say no to a Rickenbacker 3000 bass. They’re like the Rickenbacker bass equivalent of a Fender Telecaster or something. Quirky but I like them.

• Like 3