Why become a member? ×

NBD - my first Rickenbacker

tvickey

5 hours ago, tvickey said:

I just picked up one of these boxes to give the Rick-o-Sound a go...  I have two Strategy 888s... one into the 6x10" and the other into the 2x15"?  😂😂

Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 6.58.57 PM.png

I couldn't bring myself to part with the eight or ninety quid they want for one of those splitter boxes, so I built one for about ten quid in parts (aluminium pedal case and three decent quality jack sockets).

Enjoy your new Ric, purchased a 2023 myself ,  the necks are just amazing flat profile skinny neck back to front, The new bridge and one truss rod now. sounds and plays superbly.  I have owned over 40 of them,  this 2023 is the best of all of them.

Precision Bass-29.jpg

53167223341_5104af9e55_o.jpeg

Edited by geofio
  • Like 12

20 hours ago, chriswareham said:

I couldn't bring myself to part with the eight or ninety quid they want for one of those splitter boxes, so I built one for about ten quid in parts (aluminium pedal case and three decent quality jack sockets).

That is what I SHOULD have done... because what arrived from Rickysounds didn't match the photo in the auction.  I became concerned that this is not a Neutrik plug at all, and the boot / strain relief not fitting properly looks suspect.  

When I pointed this out, I received an angry response from Robbie telling me, "You are wrong".  He then called me up on the phone to explain... seems to be some older stock of Neutrik plug from before the name went on them.

IMG_4160.jpg

Edited by tvickey
Robbie called me on the phone to explain

19 hours ago, geofio said:

Enjoy your new Ric, purchased a 2023 myself ,  the necks are just amazing flat profile skinny neck back to front, The new bridge and one truss rod now. sounds and plays superbly.  I have owned over 40 of them,  this 2023 is the best of all of them.

Precision Bass-29.jpg

That's bloody stunning 😍 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, tvickey said:

That is what I SHOULD have done... because what arrived from Rickysounds didn't match the photo in the auction.  I became concerned that this is not a Neutrik plug at all, and the boot / strain relief not fitting properly looks suspect.  

When I pointed this out, I received an angry response from Robbie telling me, "You are wrong".  He then called me up on the phone to explain... seems to be some older stock of Neutrik plug from before the name went on them.

IMG_4160.jpg

A very rude individual. Once tricked me, on a forum, into calling him, as he had some information that might interest me with regard to an item the forum was discussing ( Rick toasters) . Once through to him, he revealed who he was  then proceeded to berate me at length. He seemed to think that I was accusing him of selling counterfeit RIC gear, which was far from the truth.

• Sad 1

On 30/09/2023 at 18:00, tvickey said:

I just picked up one of these boxes to give the Rick-o-Sound a go...  I have two Strategy 888s... one into the 6x10" and the other into the 2x15"?  😂😂

Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 6.58.57 PM.png

I'm fascinated by these!

Which cable goes in which input? 

I guess I'd need two amps as well? 

From memory, didn't some players put one pup through a guitar amp? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, spongebob said:

I'm fascinated by these!

The TRS jack goes into the "Rick-o-Sound" socket on the bass, and then the neck pick-up goes out on one TS lead, while the bridge pick-up goes out on the second TS lead.

I did give it a go during rehearsal yesterday, and had this going through two amps.  I put distortion on the bridge into one amp, and the neck clean into another.  It sounded really good... I will probably play it like that at our next gig. ;)  Just for fun.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, spongebob said:

I'm fascinated by these!

Here's the late, great Phil Lynott putting his 4001 through an Acoustic rig and  Hiwatt guitar head via Rick-o-sound.

Philo2(1).jpg.ada8870313b65d39eddf25611f210aa6.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, tvickey said:

The TRS jack goes into the "Rick-o-Sound" socket on the bass, and then the neck pick-up goes out on one TS lead, while the bridge pick-up goes out on the second TS lead.

I did give it a go during rehearsal yesterday, and had this going through two amps.  I put distortion on the bridge into one amp, and the neck clean into another.  It sounded really good... I will probably play it like that at our next gig. ;)  Just for fun.

You can simulate this in something like Amplitude or BiasFX2. Personally speaking I'd rather have the Ric, and a couple of amps and cabinets, but since the CFO has clamped down on discretionary spending, I'll have to stick with what I have. If you don't have the output options on the guitar, this is a bit of a hack, but it's a cheap hack as this is available on the free versions. You don't get so many options for amps and cabs with it being free.

IMG_CC830461FC06-1.thumb.jpeg.7424602d027cb25230948fba93bad0aa.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 01/10/2023 at 03:45, geofio said:

Precision Bass-29.jpg

That's a beaut - I see you are playing via a TC BH**** - Am awaiting delivery of my new TC head - a BQ 500. Any good?

Am interested to hear how my Ric(s)  sound thru this little amp head....

I still have your previous Walnutburst, though rarely gigging with it at present, preferring my 4003S or US P Bass Deluxe or MM Stingray for live work.. Be ggod to dust off the Walnutburst though!!

• Like 1

On 01/10/2023 at 03:45, geofio said:

Precision Bass-29.jpg

Very pretty bass - afraid I like a Rickenbacker waaaaay too much. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Have bought one from Andy Baxter  bass guitar shop 4003 gloss black instead of matt was contemplating the 400s but thought I would go for Ricko sound if I ever need it 

Nice Set up From Andy  very nice low action as Fender Jazz player it took a bit of getting used too  

I detuned the Guitar to  try the tunning pegs  and detuned again to find the best way of tunning as there quite a bit of sustain 

Playing through a Ampeg PF50t  valve amp and Ampeg 2x10 portaflex cab 

Lots of good sounds from this bass  

Regarding the  pickup cover it will eventually come off  as  i am a finger player  and can see a pick is a excellent  way to play this bass 

The vintage Tone capacitor is nice too  as the  Ampeg vamplifier has a nice tone pallet to work with 

Photos later 

• Like 1

The headline was "NBD, my first Rickenbacker". Years ago I could have written: ORD (old Rick day), my first bass.

It was from 1974 and black. From Denmark street, and cost was £400. Lovely. I might try one again, but the price, no way.

On 06/10/2023 at 20:14, itu said:

The headline was "NBD, my first Rickenbacker". Years ago I could have written: ORD (old Rick day), my first bass.

It was from 1974 and black. From Denmark street, and cost was £400. Lovely. I might try one again, but the price, no way.

Well this is interesting...

Screenshot_20231008_122844_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miles'tone said:

Well this is interesting...

Yes, but mine was second hand, and I bought it in '86. £1450 today.

(I should have added that it was my first own bass. Decent to play compared to Cimars and Yahayas of the time, and Fender has never been my thing anyway. There was one very good Aria Pro II, but the owner didn't want to sell it for obvious reasons.)

Edited by itu
  • Like 1

I had a play on a 2003 4003 yesterday. What a great bass. Played like a dream, looked in great condition. Black, just looked classy. Thankfully I couldn't afford it, but it was very nice.

I can see why people like them,

Rob

• Like 1