Why become a member? ×

NBD - my first Rickenbacker

tvickey

13 hours ago, itu said:

The neck IS different. Everybody talks about double truss rods, but one thing is the string spacing from nut to bridge, loved it. The neck heel could have been rounded differently though.

The 2023 models are totally redesigned, one truss rod the neck profile is a very flat D it feels amazing, the best neck I have played on without a doubt , the one truss rod makes it easy to set up the bass in minutes, When I first started playing Rics back in 1978 the necks were baseball bats and I am not exaggerating, The new models are soooo much better I have had over 40 of them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skybone said:

Custardglo

2022-rickenbacker-limited-edition-4003-fab-gear.webp

Wow. What a great colour. Never thought I’d say that about a yellow guitar. 

I suspect it’s great if you want to hide in the background playing at a custard factory.

love it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, signals55 said:

Concur the last Rick  I played was really thick on the neck 

The 2023 much better 

Most of the Rick basses I had had ok necks, my favour being a 'shouldered' 1973 4001 . I also had a V63 which was a dream to look at, and sounded amazing, but the neck was like a baseball bat so it got moved on.

• Like 1

On 09/10/2023 at 08:54, geofio said:

The 2023 models are totally redesigned, one truss rod the neck profile is a very flat D it feels amazing, the best neck I have played on without a doubt , the one truss rod makes it easy to set up the bass in minutes, When I first started playing Rics back in 1978 the necks were baseball bats and I am not exaggerating, The new models are soooo much better I have had over 40 of them. 

Strangely, the new 2023 4003 basses now have a single trussrod, whereas the 2023 4003s basses are advertised as having "an improved dual truss rod system".

Typo or just Rickenbacker being Rickenbacker? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by miles'tone
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, miles'tone said:

Strangely, the new 2023 4003 basses now have a single trussrod, whereas the 2023 4003s basses are advertised as have "an updated dual truss rod system".

Defo one truss rod now. it works well. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 10:17, miles'tone said:

Strangely, the new 2023 4003 basses now have a single trussrod, whereas the 2023 4003s basses are advertised as having "an improved dual truss rod system".

Same story on all the ones listed for sale through official dealers...

Bizarre. 

• Like 1

On 29/09/2023 at 10:55, Wolverinebass said:

When I got my 4003 it wasn't set up either. The relief was all wrong so that it had a choke on the 3rd fret. The intonation was a fair bit off too and the pickups were too high. Plus, the case was broken with one of the studs having been bashed through the abs. It was new. Guitar Guitar couldn't have been more helpful and exchanged the case in a day and I did the "lower than the 9th circle of hell" setup on it. Sounds amazing now.

I only got it for a laugh and now it's one of my favourite basses.

You bought a Rickenbacker 4003 "for a laugh"?  Nice position to be in :D

image.thumb.png.0db2a673df688e6204876d7300ed9eca.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@neepheid to be fair, at the time I had got a temporary promotion at work and had a significant pay rise. I had always fancied getting one so i just thought "why not?" If I don't like it I can send it back.

I don't do that job anymore (it made me truly miserable) so i quit and run my own studio (see @Erax Sound in the affiliates section - shameless plug alert!!), but it's a really good bass. Ironically, I've been recording with it this morning.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

@neepheid to be fair, at the time I had got a temporary promotion at work and had a significant pay rise. I had always fancied getting one so i just thought "why not?" If I don't like it I can send it back.

I don't do that job anymore (it made me truly miserable) so i quit and run my own studio (see @Erax Sound in the affiliates section - shameless plug alert!!), but it's a really good bass. Ironically, I've been recording with it this morning.

Ach, you don't need to justify it, it's just not a phrase you hear every day and couldn't help myself commenting on it ;)

• Like 2

On 30/09/2023 at 18:24, meterman said:

So if that’s ‘Rick-O-Sound’, does that mean the Shaftesbury copies have ‘Shaft-O-Sound? And the Hondo copies have ‘Hond-O-Sound’?

Either way if had a spare three grand I wouldn’t say no to a Rickenbacker 3000 bass. They’re like the Rickenbacker bass equivalent of a Fender Telecaster or something. Quirky but I like them.

The Japanese ones were labelled "Stereo-Sound"!

• Like 2

On 30/09/2023 at 23:02, chriswareham said:

I couldn't bring myself to part with the eight or ninety quid they want for one of those splitter boxes, so I built one for about ten quid in parts (aluminium pedal case and three decent quality jack sockets).

My "Hack-O-Sound" box...

image.thumb.png.2e1d3a14fe739dafe079531d543e9bcd.png

image.thumb.png.278121aec9ddea5687ab2f067b156d1e.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 6feet7 said:

I've just bought a beautiful red 4004 Laredo and converted it to a 5 stringer. It's so much lighter and more comfortable than the 4003 and just as cool looking :)

IMG_2024.jpeg

I'm looking forward to having a go on that at the Bass Bash!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, prowla said:

(I have 8 - I'm a Ricaholic...)

Oh wow, what finishes are the 8 that you have??  Photos? :)

I've definitely looked around for some others... sadly, my GAS acts up most when something is particularly rare and/or difficult to find (e.g., I'm sure I could do with a nice late 70's early 80's Burgundy-Glo 4001... or a Noir with an ebony fretboard).  :)