Why become a member? ×

How heavily edited is your Social Media

TimR

The subject of Social Media being not a true representing of what's going on in people's real lives. Influences borrowing supercars for photo shoots etc.

Music Videos have always been produced to show the band having a lifestyle they probably don't have. Wham's Club Tropicana is a great example of that. So it's not new.

On my personal fb feed I'm quite balanced at laughing at my failures and downplay my successes. Our band page is a strange animal. Some great professional photos mixed in with some very dubious hand held phone footage of the band in rehearsals wearing casual clothes etc. 

So do you have a highly crafted website and social media feed where everything his highly photoshopped, videos edited and only studio quality recordings to show a highly polished outfit, or do you just put up any old photos and videos?

Or somewhere in between. 

not these days. My 80s duo and band both have FB pages. Sometimes I create an event and invite people but mostly I don't these days.

Sometimes someone will share a phone video from a gig and I might put that on the page

My Americana Revue band is much more professional. Videos of Ben Mills (the singer from X Factor) talking up the gigs, maybe singing with his acoustic. There's a website too.

Gigs all advertised on FB, personal pages etc. The Band Leader is trying his utmost to make this a success, which I really hope it does. I'm really looking forward to playing with these class musicians

• Like 1

I have social media predominately  to promote music. I wouldn't say it's misleading but a lot of friends have asked if I quit the day job so it must be unintentionally misleading. I'd say my content is 90% music, usually upbeat and with a bit of (often self-mocking) humour. I offset this with the occasional family post. Facebook is the only one with that slither of personal stuff.  I use FB to keep up with friends as well, Twitter to view humorous takes on current affairs too and Instagram purely for music.

If people want to know about any negativity, ask me face to face. I don't do "U OK Hun?". I am painfully aware that my upbeat muso stuff makes me look like I live my best life when the reality is that my life is just as mundane as everyone else's. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

If people want to know about any negativity, ask me face to face. I don't do "U OK Hun?". I am painfully aware that my upbeat muso stuff makes me look like I live my best life when the reality is that my life is just as mundane as everyone else's. 

Totally agree. And who wants to go on facebook to look at the mundane?

• Like 1

One band I'm in tend to be very selective about what they post while the other is putting stuff up on Facebook almost every day. Some of it isn't as "professional" as I would like (that's the graphic designer in me coming out) but as a result of all this posting my "newer" band are getting lots of great gigs and increased interest in our current single, so it must be working.

My personal Facebook page is a mixture of publicity for my bands' gigs and recordings, mixed in with random stuff my girlfriend tags me in. I rarely post anything personal, and if I do it is almost all music orientated. As a result (mostly after I'd posted up a pretty professional looking music video for one of my bands) I have had a few people from my past ask me if I'm now a full time musician! It was a little disappointing to have to tell them otherwise.

48 minutes ago, TimR said:

On my personal fb feed I'm quite balanced at laughing at my failures and downplay my successes. Our band page is a strange animal. Some great professional photos mixed in with some very dubious hand held phone footage of the band in rehearsals wearing casual clothes etc. 

My social media is mostly funny things I have seen, stupid stuff I have done and photos of things I found interesting, with the occasional 'look I did a thing!' - not too many as I don't do too many things.

The bands social media is mostly poor - it is a list of gigs that are upcoming, videos that I found on the net of us that people posted, and replies to peoples posts, because it is sort of left to me and I can't really do much. I do post the occasional full length song video when I video the band and obviously I will post a song that we didn't mess up anything, so in that sense it is manicured. I also did post one video where I had videod and recorded from the desk, but the bass had a clicking noise all the way through it (no idea where it was from), so I redid part of the audio of that, but it was just one track, and it was so much effort I wouldn't do it again.

• Like 1

Gave up social media in 2017, deleted my Facebook account etc.

I have no idea if I've missed out on anything since, but I have a lot more time now I'm not trawling through pointless junk every evening.

I should probably get on social media for promoting gigs etc, but I don't and I have enough work for my needs without doing so, so I'll stick with the old fashioned way for now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Some of it isn't as "professional" as I would like (that's the graphic designer in me coming out) but as a result of all this posting my "newer" band are getting lots of great gigs and increased interest in our current single, so it must be working.

I used to want to be more selective with a previous band, but yes, annoyingly, putting up all the old tut seems to work.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

I used to want to be more selective with a previous band, but yes, annoyingly, putting up all the old tut seems to work.

I honestly think non-musicians don't know the difference. At least they probably make allowances. I guess a lot of my friends who come to see the band aren't necessarily there because we are awesome (although of course we are), it's more because it's a good social event with live music. 

When I was 17, we'd get practically the whole school along to a pub gig, I can't belive they all liked rock. That would have been through word of mouth and photocopied hand drawn flyers. My gut feeling was they loved to see mates in a band and were able say "I know the bass player" etc. 

Let's face it, to anyone who can't play an instrument it all appears extremely highly skilled and magical. Maybe it is and we have done it for so long we take it for granted. 

Edited by TimR
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Aside from Basschat I don’t do social media. I’ve looked at both my current and previous band’s Facebook pages just to see what goes in but other than that not interested.

What kind of content do they put up. Is it carefully managed by a band leader or just whatever anyone likes?

I'm only really asking because some of our rehearsals are pretty poor. Bad notes, out of tune vocals etc. The usual stuff that happens in rehearsals. 

I don't think anyone should be subject to that. It takes away a bit of the magic and if people do hear it and think I'm not going to see them, it's counter-productive. 

It's certainly a strange animal. 

7 minutes ago, TimR said:

What kind of content do they put up. Is it carefully managed by a band leader or just whatever anyone likes?

In my old band it was all the band leader, on there pretty much every day chatting with other bands, posting re future gigs, new merch, talking with fans, new tracks/videos etc. He said it was invaluable in getting the band work.

With my current band again it’s band leader but much less content, a much more relaxed input.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Thanks 1

I only have an FB account because a previous band i was in 12 years ago had a band page.  My account is in a false name, false birthday etc. 

I barely look at it these days as the band broke up 6 years ago.  I have never signed up to any of the other flotsam sosh media.  I'm just totally disinterested.

SM sucks in many ways,  IMO. 

I think about 98% of my facebook posts are related to band stuff, whether that's sharing their "official" posts (usually accompanied by some sort of comment, often self-depreciating or sarcastic).

Instagram is all music stuff (when I remember) as is threads.

Twitter is mainly music, with the occasional mocking of flat-earthers/conspiracy theorists and semi-regular calls for Esther McVey to either resign or start doing the job that she's being paid for (MP, although you'd be forgiven for not knowing that if you looked at her twitter feed). 

I also make really terrible YouTube videos, covering the gigs we do. These mainly consist of lots of detail about cables and di boxes, with the odd snippet of music (usually soundcheck) thrown in.

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

I only have an FB account because a previous band i was in 12 years ago had a band page.  My account is in a false name, false birthday etc. 

I barely look at it these days as the band broke up 6 years ago.  I have never signed up to any of the other flotsam sosh media.  I'm just totally disinterested.

SM sucks in many ways,  IMO. 

You know this site counts as social media don't you?

• Like 2

Comparing most social media to Basschat, there is a noticeable difference in the quality of posts. For a start pretty much everyone in here can spell and has a pretty good grasp of grammar. 
I have a number of social media accounts, none use my real name or personal details. I rarely look at any of them these days except for one FB account I use to repost news of upcoming gigs. Someone else posts the originals. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TimR said:

So do you have a highly crafted website and social media feed where everything his highly photoshopped, videos edited and only studio quality recordings to show a highly polished outfit, or do you just put up any old photos and videos?

Or somewhere in between. 

Somewhere in between I suppose. I don't do Facebook much now, but I am very careful what photos I upload - only ones where I look good (or as good as I can expect) and I tend to post positive stuff, not really because I want to curate a perfect-looking life, just I'm not sure anyone wants to hear about it.

2 hours ago, Rosie C said:

I tend to post positive stuff, not really because I want to curate a perfect-looking life, just I'm not sure anyone wants to hear about it.

Sounds like a few of us post the 'a bit rough round the edges' bits because it makes us look more human or at least a bit humble.

Well, that's what we hope. 😆

Think it's called humble-bragging.

What I absolutely loathe is the "Something really bad is happening in my life..." posts, with no context, followed by a bunch of people saying "they're here for you". 

But then I'm a man of a certain age. Got a problem call a mate, don't stick it on Facebook fishing for attention. 

Anyway - I'm more interested in the musical side, thats why I put it in General. 👍😎

much to my annoyance I find FB strangely compelling, I very rarely post anything that's not band related and don't click 'like' very often either, but occasionally there is useful stuff on there amongst all the garbage.

Had a conversation with our singer who is an avid Facebooker, he thought I'd deleted my account till I told him I'd just suspended it for my birthday as I don't want people wishing me "Happy Birthday" on there, adding I'll leave the attention seeking in his capable hands, he did give me a funny look 😄

What is it with people that makes them want to post pictures of their food?