Why become a member? ×

BASS Chorus Pedals......

MB1

[quote name='MB1' post='481196' date='May 6 2009, 05:10 PM']MB1. :)
Bass Chorus?......What do you Recommend?
.....Single Pedal or Board?[/quote]

Without doubt, the EBS Chorus... and that's not because of my name or anything, it seriously is the nuts. In stereo it sounds absolutely fantastic.

I'm probably the only one here using one, but winner hands-down: MXR Stereo Chorus.
Several things make it PERFECT for bass:
- Intensity knob, so you can set how much of the effect you mix with the clean sound
- Bass and Treble EQ, so you can match the EQ of fx on and fx off.
- Deep button: If you feel you're still loosing bottom, engage this and it enhances the low frequencies. This makes the effect less pronounced, so you should then increase intensity or width.

Plus, it's true bypass and has a very warm full analogue sound. Only 'problem' is it needs 18v. I'm using Diago's step-up converter though, so I don't even need MXR's power supply, I use it with my 9v Godlyke PowerAll.

It's an amazing pedal and I'm baffled as to how there aren't more bassists using it. I haven't tried a chorus pedal yet that didn't completely mess up my EQ, either adding lots of lows or making the whole thing too trebly. EQ in a chorus pedal is absolutely vital for me...

Edited by 1976fenderhead

I used to have a Rockman Stereo Chorus.
Half rack unit, which was a nuisance, but BEAUTIFUL sound, to me, anyway: it's intended as a guitar chorus, and it had a very "shimmery", trebly kind of tone, leaving the low end somewhat unaffected and with not really much depth, nor it was capable of throbbing speeds.

[quote name='Twigman' post='481262' date='May 6 2009, 06:03 PM']I had an 80s Brown Boss Bass Chorus pedal (mono - not stereo) which I loved.
Sadly I have lost it.[/quote]

I've got one of these, they're great. It's very subtle and doesn't get deep and swirly like many others can. But for warm subtle analog chorus that leaves your low end intact that you can leave always on to thicken your sound, it's hard to beat!

Check out the Boss CE-2B reviews on Harmony Central.

Edited by dannybuoy

Another vote for the Boss Bass Chorus (the old brown one).

It doesn't muddy the bottom up like some choruses do.

The EBS unit is also pretty damn good, and I've gotten great results out of a Roland Space Echo/chorus, but only in the studio.

AnalogMan Mini Chorus with deep mod - sublime. Everything else I've heard sounded quite harsh and digital by comparison. I like warm and retro, which this is excellent at. It really did live up to all the hype when I played through it and found my personal chorus heaven! :)

[url="http://www.grygrx.net/Pedal%20Reviews/Analogman/Mini%20Chorus/Analogman%20Mini%20Chorus%20Clone%20-%20Deep.mp3"]http://www.grygrx.net/Pedal%20Reviews/Anal...%20-%20Deep.mp3[/url]

Boss CEB-3

you can gig with it, it wont break.

like nearly every Boss Bass Pedal I have tried it takes some farting around to get the sound...but I only need it to make one good sound so it's good value. If I need a chorus that has to do 6 different types I would probably have looked elsewhere.

but for the outlay it's great value.

[quote name='Hamster' post='481881' date='May 7 2009, 12:57 PM']AnalogMan Mini Chorus with deep mod - sublime. Everything else I've heard sounded quite harsh and digital by comparison. I like warm and retro, which this is excellent at. It really did live up to all the hype when I played through it and found my personal chorus heaven! :)

[url="http://www.grygrx.net/Pedal%20Reviews/Analogman/Mini%20Chorus/Analogman%20Mini%20Chorus%20Clone%20-%20Deep.mp3"]http://www.grygrx.net/Pedal%20Reviews/Anal...%20-%20Deep.mp3[/url][/quote]

Quite possibly the best chorus around without a doubt. Never should have sold mine it was fantastic.

The 18v Dinoelectro Coolcat is a great cheaper alternative.

Best I ever used was the DOD Ice Box Stereo Chorus. Not directly a bass pedal, but the bass control on it gave such excellent tone that it sounded perfect. The stereo settings worked great as well. Used it for years, along with a DOD Envelope Filter, which was the Best Envelope Filter I ever used as well!

Shame they are both tough to find these days :-)

Edited by pantherairsoft

Boss CE-2B

Brown painted, made in Japan.
Discontinued but relatively easy to find on evilbay I suppose. Without a doubt the best bass chorus I have ever heard.

Now if you would excuse me, need to find a wall where to bang my head for a few hours... Happens to me always when I remember I had one of those and I sold it!

The Jacques Meistersinger.
Wonderful deep transparent analogue chorus that doesn't mess with your sound. Has a mix control so you can vary the amount of chorus in your signal which is very useful. Always used to use & love the TC Electronics Chorus/Flanger but IMO the Meistersinger is better.

Edited by RhysP