Why become a member? ×

You like the bass player….. but not so much his/her band.

Rayman

I’ve turned into a bit of a Frank Bello fanboy (we’re actually the same age). I totally dig his style, tone and vibes. I was never an Anthrax fan….. but I just like him, his playing style and his back story, I’ve read his book twice, but I can take or leave his band?

Anyone else get this?

Love Flea, can’t be doing with his band either?

Other examples?

Edited by Rayman
  • Like 2

I'm not much of a Jamiroquai fan, less so Jay Kay, but Stuart Zender is great. 

I guess Stuart had similar feelings towards Jay Kay as they argued and he left Jamiroquai a few years ago (and they've not been as good since). 

• Like 4

I like Robert Trujillo but not Metallica. His talents are completely wasted with that band.

I'm also a bit of a Duff fan but can't stand GNR. He played on an Alice In Chains tribute which is when I realised just how good he is.

Really like The Cure but can't stand Robert Smith.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Huge fan of Rob Trujillo, and his previous band(s). But not Metallica!

I've been a fan of Trujillo since his Suicidal Tendencies days.

On the one hand it's great that he's now got the recognition and financial security that comes with playing with Metallica.

On the other hand I suspect he'd be making more interesting music in a wider variety of genres if he wasn't with them.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

I'd echo Flea. For me they peaked with Blood Sugar Sex Magic and it's been a slow decline since them.

I completely agree about BSSM being their last great album. I'm not sure about Flea, he doesn't seem to know how to play to suit the song. He's still playing those funky bass lines over very middle of the road, forgettable, easy listening rock music with the worst lyrics in the history of music and at least 40 mentions of California per song except that one with black bandanas in sweet louisianna, what the hell does that even mean? Is louisianna sweet? Isn't it the butt hole of the US?

Def agree re Flea, Rourke, Thomas, Rainey, Zender and Bello. In fact my list is quite long

Bello leads me to a whole host of bassists (and drummers) for that matter from metal and hard rock bands. Things I dislike most about these genres are the vocals, lyrics and the guitars esp the widdly solos. As well as Bello I like the playing of Dave Ellefson, Billy Sheehan, JP Jones, Dave La Rue, Steve diGiorgio, Geddy Lee and Geezer Butler

Never cared much for Bowie but have a lot of time for his choice of musicians including Trevor Bolder and George Murray

Never been much of a fan of Elton either but Dee Murray was a top player

7 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Michael Steele, though never cared much for the bangles 

Mick mills, though not fond of REM

Mick Mills is really good. I find his bass lines quite tricky, he uses a lot of weird rhythms. REM have a few great songs but an awful lot I find quite dull

John Deacon. A great player with some tasty lines in much of his work with Queen, but never really

got the band as a whole. I found some of the early stuff okay, but can’t be doing with the mid / later

overblown material and have to turn it off when it (frequently) gets played on the radio. 

Edited by casapete
Idiocy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, casapete said:

Roger Deacon. A great player with some tasty lines in much of his work with Queen, but never really

got the band as a whole. I found some of the early stuff okay, but can’t be doing with the mid / later

overblown material and have to turn it off when it (frequently) gets played on the radio. 

I always preferred their drummist John Taylor ;)

• Haha 4