Why become a member? ×

You like the bass player….. but not so much his/her band.

Rayman

50 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I'm rarely going to like a player if I don't like the band.

If I don't like the band I'm probably not going to hear more than a few bars anyway. So not enough time to to like or dislike.

But there's loads of vids on YT with players either showing their chops or of footage where bass parts have been isolated, so it's easy to separate them out from their bands. Drums are my main thing and I'll watch metal and fusion drummers for tips and challenges as often as I watch those from my preferred genres e.g. funk.  I'm mostly influenced by the likes of James Brown's drummers and Ziggy Modeliste but it's also great watching top notch metal players doing blast beats

18 minutes ago, Gasman said:

John McVie - tasteful, solid, super sound. FWM in general - not really keen, too many drama queens...

John McVie was my biggest bass playing influence from the 60's and early 70's. I've seen him live more than any other bass player, first with John Mayall, then with Fleetwood Mac. I didn't see the second FM but have all the records. When Buckingham Nicks came onboard he stepped up and created some great bass lines.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gasman said:

John McVie - tasteful, solid, super sound. FWM in general - not really keen, too many drama queens...

17 hours ago, chris_b said:

John McVie was my biggest bass playing influence from the 60's and early 70's. I've seen him live more than any other bass player, first with John Mayall, then with Fleetwood Mac. I didn't see the second FM but have all the records. When Buckingham Nicks came onboard he stepped up and created some great bass lines.

Always liked John’s playing, but later FM stuff didn’t interest me much, mainly due to not being able

to get past the vocals of Stevie Nicks. One of my least favourite singers ever, just don’t understand why

her voice is so well liked, and much preferred the FM stuff with lead vocals by other band members.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Beedster said:

Jaco

That was serious BTW, the lines he played were sublime, many of the tracks and bands in which he played them are to me the worst type of 70's/80's self-indulgent fusion. Probably true of many other virtuoso, Rocco Prestia perhaps? 

• Like 1