Why become a member? ×

New Fender Custom Shop basses

JohnDaBass

The CS prices are so insane I just think they are a bunch of Waxxkers tbh.

Ive had a 7 Fenders. One was a 1970 CS Closet Classic which wasn't great. Street price at the time £2500 in 2012.  Same spec now around £6000. The highlight Fender for me was an MIJ 1975 non export Jazz, utterly awesome bass. got it for £600. Now you can order one for around £1500. I would never buy a USA Fender. Japan are way better, more exciting models better made consistency wise..   How long can you milk a legacy.?

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

The CS prices are so insane I just think they are a bunch of Waxxkers tbh.

Ive had a 7 Fenders. One was a 1970 CS Closet Classic which wasn't great. Street price at the time £2500 in 2012.  Same spec now around £6000. The highlight Fender for me was an MIJ 1975 non export Jazz, utterly awesome bass. got it for £600. Now you can order one for around £1500. I would never buy a USA Fender. Japan are way better, more exciting models better made consistency wise..   How long can you milk a legacy.?

Couldn't agree more re Fender Japan. I've had several over the years and every one of them has been excellent. Superb build quality. 

3 hours ago, Doctor J said:

It's a bit of a gamble, for sure, getting the good stuff. When it comes to... ehhh... mint Streetwood, you've got to ask yourself one question: “Do I feel lucky?”

I hear they're good for punk.

If you know your limitations :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Couldn't agree more re Fender Japan. I've had several over the years and every one of them has been excellent. Superb build quality. 

I didn't even know there were different models coming out of Japan until now and now I am desperately coveting a California Blue Aerodyne Special Jazz Bass.

Isn't the point of a custom shop that you get something made to your spec and pay accordingly? How is a master-screwer-together-of-parts selecting a body and neck from a pile of bodies and necks 10 grand's worth of different to what happens in the Mexico factory?

• Like 2

Whilst I applaud the use of upcycled wood, that I could literally buy two custom builds from many other luthiers for that kind of money, and have basses that don't look like a rehash of the same tired old 1950s shapes means these are just being put out there to take money off of gullible Fender addicts. I get it, Fender are legends, if it wasn't for Leo we probably wouldn't have the world of basses as we know it today, but things have moved on a long way whilst Fender appear to have pretty much stood still.