Why become a member? ×

** The 15th South East Bass Bash - Sunday 12 November 2023 **

Hamster

7 hours ago, prowla said:

'cept Darren grabbed it and wouldn't let go until Guy came back to do a photo with him. 🤣

Still, I did take a couple of pics of them on his phone for him and he returned the favour when he finally handed it over; I have to say it is a very nice bass!
I passed it on to @Smanth.

Got home and having taken loads of photos of Betsy I realised I never asked anyone to take a photo of ME with it! D’oh! :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, chyc said:

Laurence is the type of guy you convinces you to either practise more, or give up. Such a great player, with amazing stories.

As an aside, I thought I recognized him, and chatting with him afterwards confirmed it, he's here:

Thanks everyone for taking the time to organize the event. My first trip was certainly a great experience.

Never seen that before! Fabulous! When you think of the number of A list bass players Greg Bisonette could have phoned up and said, “Hey, we’re doing this daft lockdown thing…” it says how well respected Lol is that he’s the one on the video,

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, stevie said:

Then there was the sound of @chyc's double bass, which was absolutely glorious. I'm so glad he went to the (not inconsiderable, I'd say) trouble of bringing it.

I'm glad I brought it @stevie. I can say that all the speakers that I tried sounded absolutely fabulous for double bass. Build quality was as good as anything I've seen from any cabinet manufacturer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TrevorR said:

Never seen that before! Fabulous! When you think of the number of A list bass players Greg Bisonette could have phoned up and said, “Hey, we’re doing this daft lockdown thing…” it says how well respected Lol is that he’s the one on the video,

That was brilliant. The level of musicianship was off the scale - everywhere. And those tasty bass fills that drove the piece without (as it often the case) getting in the way. Loved it!

10 hours ago, prowla said:

'cept Darren grabbed it and wouldn't let go until Guy came back to do a photo with him. 🤣

Still, I did take a couple of pics of them on his phone for him and he returned the favour when he finally handed it over; I have to say it is a very nice bass!
I passed it on to @Smanth.

I had the honour of taking some pictures of @Smanth with @Betsy - hope they came out OK. About the only annoyance was @Wolverinebass & I having to get a taxi from Weybridge after South Western Trains caused us to miss the connecting train there. I had a great time geeking out about bass with you all, at one point I think I was even bloviating about the engineering meaning behind the Modulus Graphite name (it’s all about the stiffness). 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2023 at 22:23, stevie said:

The Trace was sublime. I've always thought amps were much of a muchness - but the Trace sounded ridiculously good. Thanks, @Merton for the short- term loan. They look good together, too!😄

20231112_115622.jpg

But if you have found the amp that get's the best out of your speakers you have to buy one for demonstrations, that makes it a business expense :)

The colours match too!

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 2

On 12/11/2023 at 22:23, stevie said:

The Trace was sublime. I've always thought amps were much of a muchness - but the Trace sounded ridiculously good. Thanks, @Merton for the short- term loan. They look good together, too!😄

20231112_115622.jpg

That's got to be the perfect rig, right there.  I went down the FRFR route 3 years ago but can't stop looking at this combination.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, stevie said:

I don't know what it was about the Trace, but when @Merton plugged his bass in and played through it, it seemed to take the sound quality up a notch - like he was playing through a huge sound system.

Apart from my playing it sounded incredible, a really lovely pairing. If I were in the market for new cabs I’d be seriously working out how to get one of these LFSys 12” cabs.

@stevie and I did an A/B with my Two10s but of course it’s not comparing apples and apples, as the Two10 is designed to have high end roll off, a bit more distortion from the cone (I.e. it’s not trying to be ultra clean and accurate…) and the LFSys is of course designed to be accurate. I love my Two10s but the clarity and power that the LFSys was able to generate was incredible. I could see how it would work brilliantly in the mix onstage. It’s a really very very good cab.

2 hours ago, Merton said:

Apart from my playing it sounded incredible, a really lovely pairing. If I were in the market for new cabs I’d be seriously working out how to get one of these LFSys 12” cabs.

@stevie and I did an A/B with my Two10s but of course it’s not comparing apples and apples, as the Two10 is designed to have high end roll off, a bit more distortion from the cone (I.e. it’s not trying to be ultra clean and accurate…) and the LFSys is of course designed to be accurate. I love my Two10s but the clarity and power that the LFSys was able to generate was incredible. I could see how it would work brilliantly in the mix onstage. It’s a really very very good cab.

Stop it, please. :D 

• Haha 2

Sorry folks, I might well have come down, but I ended up buying a car down south and driving it back up the road in between this and attending the SW Bash and 3 times damn near the length of the country in a month was enough for me.  I will plan better next year and hopefully make both.  Looks like you had a cracking day out.

8 hours ago, Merton said:

The way you have described the Two10 is exactly how mine sounds and how you describe the LFSys is how I wish my Two10 sounds for the music I'm playing at the moment. So I really do need to try out a LFSys cab at some point. Plus, being an F1 nut and proposing to my wife who is also an F1 nut on Michael Schumacher's grid slot after the Monza F1 race and then honeymooning the year after at the Monaco F1 race, the naming of these cabs is pretty much perfect for me. We just need a Spa and Suzuka cab in the line up at some point @stevie 😁

• Like 3

• Hamster unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, crward77 said:

Great to see another F1 fan on here. I used to have a Dana Alvarez offset bass (black) and it had a huge cutout of Damon Hill in his Williams that I sellotaped onto the back. Sadly I haven't still got the bass (I should have kept it with Damon on the back)

That sounds awesome but yeah, a huge shame you've not got it still. I started watching F1 when I was about 10 in 1980 thanks to my mum and dad and I can say that I have never missed a race. I've even been on tour once and got the tour manager to stop somewhere in Liverpool at a pub so I could watch the race 😂 I used to also collect races on VHS and then DVD so I have entire seasons dating back to the 80's as well as a lot of races from the 70's. It's in my blood to ever give it up.

• Like 1

I thought my logic for track naming was impeccable. There's the Monza (fastest F1 circuit), Monaco (slowest F1 circuit), and Silverstone (oldest F1 circuit), so logically it should be the newest F1 circuit. Although that's Las Vegas, it's a temporary circuit, as is Miami, so it's Losail or Jeddah, or if they're excluded for human rights reasons [1], Algarve.

[1] Separate head is a good idea for an amp, a bad idea for a human.

• Like 1