Why become a member? ×

Stick, Twist or Shake it All About? Gibson Ripper Content

mr4stringz

Hello Cleveland!

I’ve had this ‘76 Ripper a good while now. It’s a YOB bass and was very much ridiculously cheap back when I bought it, on account of the condition and erm…interesting mods.

I’ve used it on occasion since owning it, but never to any great degree. Question is - and for the purposes of this exercise you’ll have to take the bass on face value as per pics - if this was yours would you

a) Leave as is (the pickup - a DiMarzio Model G DP121, I believe it is- sounds EVIL)

b) Attempt to expensively restore (electronics only, the rest can stay as is) to somewhere approaching as it would have been stock OR

c) would you possibly do something different?

I’ve no firm plans one way or the other but generally interested in people’s thoughts. In an era of lovingly kept and maintained vintage basses something like this is very much a bit of fun.

One thing is for sure - for better or worse there likely isn’t another one like this anywhere. 🤣

I should add I’ve no idea what’s going on under the current pickguard or the somewhat idiosyncratic input jack area at this time, before you ask! That third photo is just for laughs. You have to wonder what goes through some people’s heads…

IMG_5526.jpeg

IMG_5527.jpeg

IMG_5528.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grahambythesea said:

If you like the sound of it then keep the pickup and enjoy it. However I would try and “tidy up” the jack socket, get a new pickguard cut with a normally mounted Jack and something closer to the original shape.

This is where I’m at currently. As rarely as I play it, I can’t trust it for that reason!

12 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

If you like the sound of it then keep the pickup and enjoy it. However I would try and “tidy up” the jack socket, get a new pickguard cut with a normally mounted Jack and something closer to the original shape.

^^^
This and keep it. YOB, unusual and all that.

• Like 2

Just now, TheGreek said:

I was going to ask whether it's financially astute to return it to original - @walshy suggests not. 

Even so if it has sentimental value I'd think about it. I'd expect a Gibson to increase in value over time so maybe one day....

Finding the right bits, probably importing them and then making it 'stock' will cost way more than you think and Im not sure you'd see the return back. Man, if you like it, it's yours, sounds and plays well and if you don't need the cash just leave well alone. There isn't another one like it out there so just enjoy it would be my advice.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, walshy said:

Finding the right bits, probably importing them and then making it 'stock' will cost way more than you think and Im not sure you'd see the return back. Man, if you like it, it's yours, sounds and plays well and if you don't need the cash just leave well alone. There isn't another one like it out there so just enjoy it would be my advice.

Cheers Walshy. I did do some very preliminary searches for pickups etc a long while back  and promptly binned the idea off then due to the £££ involved. Must admit I’ve not searched about since.

It probs answers the question for me that I’ve left it as is since getting it. Always worth getting views from others though, so thanks to all.

It certainly will stay with me long term irrespective of owt else.

• Like 1

I agree entirely with Walshy and grenadillabama. Restoring this to original spec would cost a fortune. The current mods look very cool to me, though I’d tidy up the input a bit. I had an active circuit and SD P pickup fitted to mine and it’s never had the classic Ripper tone since. I’ve had a look at creating or procuring a typical Ripper plate - very expensive indeed unless you get really lucky. Only pic of mine I have to hand, you can just about see the middle pickup - modded Rippers look brilliant (to me), even if they lose their core tone. Baggy lemon keks and a permed mullet - gotta love the ‘80s

image.thumb.png.cd4588348c41f5644e38ffa1a9e46470.png

Edited by three
  • Like 3

Maybe an idea to shave back the silks a bit at the nut and E saddle.  I used to find it difficult to find strings that would fit properly back in the day - I think the Ripper is a 34.75" scale.  No problem now and many strings no longer use silks

• Like 1

Having restored a Ripper from nothing but a starting point of the body and neck, I can confirm that it is a labour of love and in no way financially astute. The difference in my case is that I wasn't starting with a working bass.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, theyellowcar said:

Seems like sticking with it is the way to go, I’m deadly curious to see what’s under the pickguard though. 

It will go for a spruce up and a sort out of the input jack etc before too long. When that’s ongoing I’ll ask my repair guy to take some shots under the hood if he can. Curious myself!

• Like 1