Why become a member? ×

Inappropriate requests

Mickeyboro

We are a blues band. I gigged my Flea Jazz for the first time last night, and when he’d set up our guitarist teased with the intro of Under The Bridge. 

At half time we were asked when we’d be playing it! Thankfully we didn’t try. 

Any similar stories?

F520707F-8C92-4275-BC0A-EB6F39818C95.jpeg.4dc8ac372c5c6add83a8d52f278a9063.jpeg

A guy used to come to our gigs and scream for 'Hammer Smashed Face' every time.

We never did covers but I was at other gigs he attended and seems he wanted every band to to play it. He must have really, really liked that song.

40 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

We are a blues band. I gigged my Flea Jazz for the first time last night, and when he’d set up our guitarist teased with the intro of Under The Bridge. 

At half time we were asked when we’d be playing it! Thankfully we didn’t try. 

Any similar stories?

F520707F-8C92-4275-BC0A-EB6F39818C95.jpeg.4dc8ac372c5c6add83a8d52f278a9063.jpeg

Originals band, playing a mix of ska/funk bouncy stuff at a busy local venue.

"Play Wonderwall!" kept yelling the special brigade (you know the type, upturned collars etc). Finally our singer acknowledges the loudest guy and indicates we will next. Next song is inroduced as Wonderwall... but we play another of ours. It was funny to see the guys face turn from happiness to confusion. He protested and singer motioned "next one, really". Next one... he did the same thing. Ah, was the boy whizzed... and his mates making fun of him... 

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I once got asked by a chap a gig  'What note are you playing?"

He was quite obviously well on a chemical journey to some other, very ecstatic plane (it was a sort of space rock/techno band, so not unusual for our gigs).

"G! ", I shouted back to him.

He danced off, arms in the air, gurning a huge smile, shouting "I f$$king love G !"

:D

• Like 4
  • Haha 22

Where to start... :)  

Almost every gig someone will ask for a song in a genre we patently do not do.  The usual, 'Sorry we don't do that one.' is invariably followed with the punters response 'But everyone knows that one!'  One drunk lady recently came up to the band (obviously mid song when we were playing and singing) and started shouting 'Play that one by what they called again, you know... the one that goes Da da da da, de de dooh!'.  

There's a venue I used to play regularly and EVERY band was aware of the punter who was there every week and without fail he would stand dead centre in front of whoever the singer was and shout at them to do some Zappa!  The first time it happens, it is disconcerting but you get used to it.  I did once suggest we learn a Zappa tune for him... where the hell do you start with that one?

In the early days playing in our ELO tribute band we would often get requests for ‘Mustang Sally’,

‘Brown eyed girl’, etc etc. This was from people who had paid for a ticket to come and see a 

band playing solely ELO stuff.

In my acoustic duo, we often do gigs entirely based on requests. We put out request slips on 

all the tables in the room, and do our best to play most of them. The hardest are usually obscure

songs / artists which I’m sure people write to test us out. I’d say our ‘success’ rate is around

90% on average though, so usually punters go away having heard stuff they wanted. 

• Like 4

Being mainly in originals bands this is something I’ve not really had too much, at times we were asked for obscure album tracks that we’d never played live so not really doable if asked mid-set, though if asked beforehand we’d sometimes give it a go.

56 minutes ago, casapete said:

In the early days playing in our ELO tribute band we would often get requests for ‘Mustang Sally’,

‘Brown eyed girl’, etc etc. This was from people who had paid for a ticket to come and see a 

band playing solely ELO stuff.

I once saw a Coldplay tribute band (not intentionally) and the best reaction they got was when they played 'I believe in a thing called love ' by The Darkness 😕

• Like 1

The singer with a club band I was in used to ask first, were there any birthdays? Second, were there any requests? Third, would anybody like to get up and sing a song? We kept trying to stop him, but he just kept on doing it. So either we were lucky and they asked for something we knew (10%) or we couldn't play whatever it was (90%). And of course the occasional singer from the audience was almost always awful, and would almost always be singing to a song that we would be busking.

• Sad 1