Why become a member? ×

Thinline Jazz Bass

Cato

New limited edition thinline Jazz from Fender.

Not many pics of it yet, this screenshot was the best I could grab.

In most of the publicity shots it's obscure by it's skinny string siblings.

Screenshot_20230712-172321_Chrome.thumb.jpg.798c95cf4301e5e79d2ef11831c466d0.jpg

More details and better shots here.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JBassSuonaVB--fender-limited-edition-suona-jazz-bass-thinline-violin-burst?sb=popular

Personally despite my love of thinline Telecasters, the bass version is not for me, I'm not too keen on the colour scheme either.

I'm sure some will love it though and least it's something a bit different.

• Like 2

Randomly scattered F-holes like this* do rather heat my wee since the inside central indent was originally designed to show where you're supposed to replace the bridge (on a fiddle). Harrumph. I'd much rather they used a slash shape or a cat's eye design or something. 

*Honourable pass given to 1930s National resonator guitars, just because, so there

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, KK Jale said:

Randomly scattered F-holes...

Very much so - it looks like something from AliExpress. :)

A Jazz Bass' harmony of curves is one of the things that I really like about them, and for me, that F-hole just ruins it. Ruins it like a bit of poop on your favourite biscuit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/07/2023 at 20:12, itu said:

Was it Larrivee (Eloustic?) that made hollow body basses in the 80's or 90's? There were no openings, but the body was really light. Maybe made from glass fibre?

I suspect this Thinline jazz may not be that light.

My Thinline Tele is less than a pound lighter than my solid body Tele.

I strongly suspect that there are solid body Teles out there that are lighter than my Thinline.

Edited by Cato

I saw a Precision A/E for sale recently - £1,000 - same idea, thinline hollow body, I found the one I had lacked any sort of guts or character. 

I know the buyer sold it abroad - doubt that he got close to that amount.

I'd like to know how Fender have managed to get around those problems. 

23 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I saw a Precision A/E for sale recently - £1,000 - same idea, thinline hollow body, I found the one I had lacked any sort of guts or character. 

I know the buyer sold it abroad - doubt that he got close to that amount.

I'd like to know how Fender have managed to get around those problems. 

There is a buffer unit you can install, that affects the level of the piezo pick-up in the bridge. It makes thew thing far more useable. I am not a fan of the Lace Sensor in the 'usual' position and would rather have something else there but have no idea how it is wired into the electrics.

Not the end of the world, but the f hole on the right looks much better. The one on the left looks like an afterthought from someone not very familiar with f holes or aesthetics.

Not a fan of either one on a bass that traditionally doesn't have one, Jazz or Precision, but I do like f holes on some basses.

A week's pay says my Imola blows it out of the water for a much better price, too.

Photo-Collage-1689199543846.jpg

PhotoCollage_1690025057486.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 2