Why become a member? ×

Surprise bass player! Is there someone you never knew played bass?

kwmlondon

On 17/07/2023 at 14:42, Newfoundfreedom said:

Don't know if it's already been mentioned. Can't be bothered to read 4 pages back. 

I was surprised to learn Jason Mamoa plays bass. 

Of course, on him it looks like a ukulele. 

Same height as me apparently (6'4" / 193cm). I briefly played a Hofner violin bass, which really did look like a ukulele on me 😄

index.jpg

• Like 1

Don't know if it's already been mentioned. Can't be bothered to read 4 pages back. 

Page 2 😊

And according to this link, Steve Martin also plays upright bass (I just learned that Steve Martin also plays banjo, guitar and mandolin as well).

Mark

35 minutes ago, chriswareham said:

Same height as me apparently (6'4" / 193cm). I briefly played a Hofner violin bass, which really did look like a ukulele on me 😄

index.jpg

I am 6'4' as well and my preferred main bass of choice is my just 28.6" scale Ibanez Mikro Bass.

Then again you have people just as tall playing 24.75" Gibson scale guitars, and no one seems to think that looks strange.

I also believe Stanley Clarke must be just as tall, if not even a bit taller, and further more have pretty huge hands, and he plays a mean upright bass as well, yet his preferred electric bass of choice is a 30" short scale Alembic. 

Oh, my! It's Percy Plant!

ppbass.jpg.0d8c750aea7bbef4777996def89e8f0b.jpg

From the splendid book Led Zeppelin - A Celebration by Dave Lewis, which is where the following snippet regarding a regrouping in early 1986 also comes from.

lzw.jpg.e5634829cd6020cc4d4cda88d8d52ca3.jpg

It wasn't to be. And this, from last year, where Percy claims (probably tongue in cheek) that there's a smidgen of his bass on Led Zeppelin I.

https://metalheadzone.com/the-only-led-zeppelin-album-featuring-robert-plants-bass-parts/

I'll bet it's not him doing the fiddly parts on Good Times Bad Times :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
21 minutes ago, casapete said:

Mrs CP is currently watching ‘Portrait Artist of the Year 2023’ on Sky Arts.

One of the sitters is Nigel Havers, who has brought with him a Hofner Violin bass.

Said he played a bit in bands a few years ago. Who knew?

I only know him for his distinctive keyboard playing.

FjsL2GLdMmFs3NBZMfCzjn.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Of course, on him it looks like a ukulele. 

I gotta feeling that when we watched Aquaman, Aquaman's dad (played by Boba Fett actor) had a bass guitar in his lighthouse... I said to the kids "I bet that's there cos the bloke playing Aquaman is one of us"

And of course not all superheroes wear capes, some play bass 😎...and can breathe underwater 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 09/11/2023 at 19:57, casapete said:

Mrs CP is currently watching ‘Portrait Artist of the Year 2023’ on Sky Arts.

One of the sitters is Nigel Havers, who has brought with him a Hofner Violin bass.

Said he played a bit in bands a few years ago. Who knew?

He played a bit of bass in the TV series Manchild I believe - I have a distinct memory of seeing him sat on a sofa playing a Precision next to Don Warrington.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...