Why become a member? ×

Surprise bass player! Is there someone you never knew played bass?

kwmlondon

Okay. I have this thing where I always get quite excited when someone I never know was a bassist turns out to have form on the old four-string. I'm going to kick off with Demis Roussos. Yes. Forever And Ever, him from Abigail's Party. Described once as “a fully-laden banquet table beneath which a frightened lady appeared to be bleating for deliverance”

Well, I knew he was the singer in Aphrodite's Child but I'd never really clocked that he was the bassist and I'm going to stick my head above the parapet and say 666 is one of the best prog albums ever recorded. And Roussos was the bass player! 

So... have you been caught out by surprise? I've got a couple in mind...

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Dazed said:

Yes, recently saw this on a tv music channel. Never had a clue. Considerable talent, singing playing and dancing simultaneously. I can barely do any individually 😄

You went straight for disco royalty!!!! Great choice!

Did you know Chaka Khan played bass from time-to-time when she was in Rufus? Also played drums. I remember and interview with Dave Swift where he said he was super-careful to nail the basslines 100% accurately for her as she was a bassist herself, but I've never been able to find any footage or a recording!

• Like 2

Only because I saw it so recently, otherwise it would have disappeared into the void that is my memory along with   what’s my age?, where did I put that? Etc

I didn’t know that about Chaka Khan!

Ain’t Nobody is on my all time greatest song lists. 
Well well, thanks for that nugget. 

• Like 1

On 12/07/2023 at 16:03, asingardenof said:

The urban myth is that Bill Black couldn't play the new-fangled Fender so Elvis stepped into the breach.

Weirdly, I read this myself only last night in Schilling's "Me and a guy Named Elvis".

Edited by Jackroadkill
  • Like 2

The story behind those "Dylan with a Jazz Bass" pics is that Fender's East Coast salesman Jody Carver was sent by the CBS top brass to intercept the great man (then on CBS records of course) with a photographer in tow and a carload of new Fender clobber to try to get him to pose alongside some amps... and preferably holding a nice new Fender guitar as well.

Dylan flatly refused but after lots of negotiation and plenty of extremely bad vibes he grudgingly consented, turned down the proffered Fender acoustic they wanted him to hold, and grabbed his bass player's instrument instead.

(PS I got the story from Mr Carver himself, a remarkable man and a fine steel guitar player, RIP.]

Edited by KK Jale
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1