Why become a member? ×

Wrist strain so lets try a bass..picked up yesterday from BD!

BCH

I'm fascinated by these.

Much like the esteemed Mr @Reggaebass I'm a bit baffled.

I'm certain that somehow all the strings maintain a relationship with fretboard that's more or less orthodox, ie: lowest action at the nut gradually increasing evenly across each string to the bridge.

But my eyes and brain can't quite work out how it does this when I look at the pics.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Cato said:

I'm certain that somehow all the strings maintain a relationship with fretboard that's more or less orthodox, ie: lowest action at the nut gradually increasing evenly across each string to the bridge.

But my eyes and brain can't quite work out how it does this when I look at the pics.

Exactly Cato, it almost doesn’t look possible, kinda like an optical illusion, very cool though and I’d like to play one, great workmanship too 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hellzero said:

I like the concept and fully understand the idea, but the price is totally delirious according to the fact that it's a CNC made instrument. 🤦🏻‍♂️

CNC made instruments only become really cheap when they are made in volume. I expect these are very limited runs as I have never seen one for sale in a music shop, online or being played live ever. Until this thread I had no idea they existed.

Edited by tegs07

10 hours ago, Hellzero said:

I like the concept and fully understand the idea, but the price is totally delirious according to the fact that it's a CNC made instrument. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Warwick says hi. 

I really like the concept of these torzal guitars! I think Lace made some too at one point, I think I recall the Lace Helix with a torzal twist neck. 

2 hours ago, tegs07 said:

CNC made instruments only become really cheap when they are made in volume. I expect these are very limited runs as I have never seen one for sale in a music shop, online or being played live ever. Until this thread I had no idea they existed.

Sorry, but $7800 USD is way too high for the basic neck through model especially CNC made, which means a one day job to totally finish it, when it would take at least close to a month to make it totally by hand.

So even with single units, a CNC cuts everything down including the price.

And as @LeftyJ said, Warwick says hi. 😉

Edited by Hellzero

5 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Sorry, but $7800 USD is way too high for the basic neck through model especially CNC made, which means a one day job to totally finish it, when it would take at least close to a month to make it totally by hand.

So even with single units, a CNC cuts everything down including the price.

And as @LeftyJ said, Warwick says hi. 😉

People misunderstand how long it takes to set a CNC machine up. I built a CNC machine as a lock down project (see here https://forum.v1e.com/t/new-build-in-clapham-north-yorkshire-uk/16519) so have some experience here. I am not a professional in this area (or any other area 😀)

It took a long time to build the CNC, but it takes an awful long time to design something that isn't just a simple engraving. If I wanted to do a house sign, thats pretty easy. Cutting space for pickups would be relatively easy as well. Anything that is complicated, such as the guitar above, could take a long, long time to design and get right. If they told me, it took 50 - 100 days to design and test, redesign and test, I wouldn't be at all surprised. I would expect them to create an awful lot of saw dust as well, I certainly did.

A CNC machine makes sense in some areas, but it is not a cheap machine to buy (good ones are over £100K), they are not cheap to run, you tend to need a dedicated machinest, not cheap to design for, it takes real skill. Routing out pockets for pickups is fine, that work of beauty above is very difficult. I'm not bad with Fusion 360 and have designed some reaonably complex stuff, which tends to be square and lots of straight lines, but I wouldn't even know where to start in that guitar.

This took over six months to design, test, redesign, retest. It's a magnetic, modular dust show for collecting waste from a CNC. it uses magnets to hold things together. It didn't work very well 🤐

image.png.8ffd46985c1b9fbe7ebb38fa0dbb8f9c.png

Circa $8,000 doesn't sound that bad to be honest. Not cheap, but you pays your money and takes your choice.

Thanks

Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Everything depends of or even on your skills, of course @rwillett.

A friend of mine entirely built a bass as a end of school project with the CNC machine they had there and it took him less time than building the same one by himself, which he did before.

I used AutoCad 3D for myself many years ago and was able to recreate a violin top using the method of Antonio Bagatella (published in 1782, Padova, Italy) that you can find in the Nouveau manuel du luthier (Encyclopédie Roret, 1894) book with a mistake mentioned by the authors that I corrected (the system of measures used was a bit of nightmare to convert), but it didn't take me more than a few days and it's not my job.

Another friend of mine who is an architect can generate a program to build an entire bass in less than a day as he's very skilled (that's the less you can say) and he did it for me once for an aborted project as renting the CNC was cost prohibitive for me.

So, yes it can be a trial, error, correct, retrial, recorrect and repeat process, but not if you really master all the process, which CNC operators should.

A New Bass Day thread, which the OP is pleased with and it’s descended into negativity. :facepalm:

Why can’t we just be pleased for the OP and perhaps start a different thread where the issues raised here can be discussed? 

@BCH congrats on your purchase, may your GAS remain in abeyance for a goodly while; it messes with my head O.o

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I'd like to try one of these Torzal basses, but I don't really see the ergonomic benefits if you play the instrument more vertically where you naturally get a better fretting hand wrist angle. Bit of a solution looking for a problem. but, I haven't had on in my hands and am prepared to be wrong. But I'd be surprised if I was, especially to justify the entry fee. That said, it's not mine so I hope BCH loves it.

PS: needs more strings.

• Thanks 1

I gigged the Torzal yesterday 2.5hr gig. 

The sound eng was happy with the powerful tone (no twisted notes..ha)

I sing so have to rely on knowing position...forgot it was different...any errors would have been made with any bass

As mentioned before going from 30" to this 34" scale..felt identical

End of gig no wrist ace...and surprisingly no splits in plucking fingers. Thingking about this afterwards...I think the way it makes you flatten your hand, makes you stroke or pluck softly

The only issue - the action was to low !

• Like 2