Why become a member? ×

For those who have had to use a backup bass, why?

Lozz196

For those who have had to use a backup bass, why?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. For those who’ve had to use a backup bass, why?

• String break
    • Electrical fault
    • Broken by bandmate
    • Broken by audience
    • Other

I’ve had more amp problems over the years than bass problems, but the few I’ve had with a bass would have been disastrous with no back-up available.

My head just does not compute why you would not take a spare with you if you could.

The one that sticks in my mind is one of the soldered joints on the jack socket on one of my J basses came apart.

However fastidious we are about checking our instruments, I think most, if not all, would have struggled to foresee that happening.

• Like 1

Can you make the poll to allow multiple options?

I've had a string break and an electrical fault over the years.

EDIT - and I just remembered, I had a strap button come out and there wasn't enough grip to just screw it back in.

Edited by fretmeister
  • Like 1

What about forgetting to bring it ?

Not that I would ever do anything like that, and luckily it was local so I got Mrs 2pods to bring it to the gig.

Likewise, when my 20th Anny Stingray went down with a SD preamp fault.

Mrs 2pods to the rescue again with my Spector.

However, after gigging for over 50 years, they were the only times I had a problem at the gig.

Once après gig, in the van on the way home, I attempted to get our "manager" to buy me a better bass by slinging the said Zenta (Woolworth job, which also only had three strings) bass from the Transit in transit's back doors.

However a well meaning neighbour returned it next day.....complete with tyre marks.

It still bloody worked :dash1:

I was only 14 though...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

EDIT - and I just remembered, I had a strap button come out and there wasn't enough grip to just screw it back in.

Multiple options - well it took me multiple attempts to even get this up & running I`m afraid (not the best at techlife)

• Haha 3

I've voted "string break" but I needed 2 responses really.
Actually, I had a battery fail on me at a gig - and on that occasion, I hadn't taken a spare bass - luckily, I had a spare PP3 battery. 
However, that battery change seemingly takes an age when you have onlookers (rummaging around the pockets of the gigbag took long enough).

• Like 1

Only once had need of a back up bass, many years ago at a NYE gig in Harrogate. The 'A' string broke during the first set, and I had to soldier on as I had no alternative. Ouch. Thereafter I carried a back up bass but now don't bother any more as the basses I gig feel rock solid, but always carry a spare set of strings (and amp head).

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Match sticks work a treat as a mini dowl to fill out the hole. 

• Like 1

Not bass related, but backup issue related. Our drummer accidentally knocked our guitarists Les Paul off its (not that steady) stand before our gig on Saturday. Snapped the headstock at the join (inherent Les Paul weak point). Drummer was mortified. Luckily the guitarist had a spare Tele to play and was upset but ok about it.

Shows the worth of a backup instrument. 

We're all good friends so no arguments or fist were raised. 

Crap electrics in old venues have meant me having to use my passive P-bass a few times.

Also years ago a battery running flat in my P-Lyte at a flash wedding, resulting in me having to let the

band do a song without me whilst I rummaged for a replacement - only done that once, a 

good lesson learned..

• Like 1

First and only time (so far in 30 years) just this Saturday as we were doing a quick change at a festival - horrible minutes thinking it was the wireless, then the amp (I'd put a new battery in the day before so thought that couldn't be it) but popped the cover and found the soldered joint had come away on the battery clip.

Spare bass - TICK - back in business - phew.

The sound guys reckon it happens all the time and 9/10 people don't even have a spare battery, let alone a bass.

Edited by redbandit599