Why become a member? ×

How many basses do you take on stage?

Mickeyboro

46 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

If You are in a prog band and play a triple-neck bass, does that mean you don't need a back up or are you three times as likely to have a failure and need three backups?

If you play a triple neck bass, chances are you need backups as there is no way you are holding that up for more than one song!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

If you play a triple neck bass, chances are you need backups as there is no way you are holding that up for more than one song!

6 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

Never mind backup… back out!😂

Back support?

• Like 1

One main bass that i play all night and a spare.

If my main is active i like an active spare with similar pick up config to save adjusting amp EQ.

If trying a new bass out i'll use it first set and use my normal bass the 2nd set but that is quite rare.

Currently debating with myself as to whether i go from my main Sandberg MarloweDK to a P bass so i'm swapping between them for each of the punk gigs.

Glam band i use Sandberg VM4 with Fender P/J  active as back up.

Punk band so far main has been the MarloweDK with back up my Fender Geddy J or my P bass.

Dave

• Like 1

3 basses... fretless jazz, 5 string fretted Sei, strung high C, and an EUB. If I could only pick one it would be the fretless jazz. If stage space is limited I only take the 5 pedal board, otherwise the 14 pedal board comes along.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

OK, supplementary question.

What's the point of having several basses if you only ever play one live?

I have 2 basses for each band as the bands sound better with certain basses. One is just a back up.

Punk band - Sandberg MarloweDK main bass and a Geddy J as a back up. I've tried getting used to a P bass for this band but just not taken by it and gonna go back to the Geddy as my back up.

Glam band - Sandberg VM4 as main bass and Fender PJ active as back up.

Other basses i have were bought in 80's and / or have sentimental value ie birthday presents etc.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

6 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

When I only took one bass to the gig, it was a different one almost every time. I think one refers to the actual number of basses on stage at any time rather than taking THE one every time.

41 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

For myself I like to have a home use bass and a couple of gigging basses, which I rotate so I get to use them both. They are all the same though (JMJ Mustangs). Plus my fave ever Precision of course which although I’m now a short scale guy I’ll never get rid of unless I’m really in the mire.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I play all of mine live at some point, no point having them if you are not going to use them. When I take a spare it is often a different spare

On 12/06/2023 at 09:55, Rayman said:

I’ve always found having a ‘selection’ of instruments on stands and clearly on show really irritating and unnecessary. A bit like displaying trophies….. “look what I’ve got” type of thing, especially as literally nobody cares.

Our guitarist has this kind of multi guitar carousel kind of thing? Clearly displaying all his lovely guitars, much to our amusement, especially as it’s nearly fallen over a couple of times.

Some people like to look at what people bring along.
I always like to give those people something to look at, but my stand with the 2/3 basses on is not visible unless someone is actually looking for it. Sometimes it's behind my rig if there's room. or to the side behind the PA and mixer.

Always take 2 basses 

I’ll occasionally swap after first set but usually it’s just a spare, then alternate them between shows.

Not had a bass fail on me or break a string, just couldn’t take the chance when playing theatres or festivals … I’d be gutted even down the local pub if I didn’t have a back up!!

• Like 2

On 19/06/2023 at 19:20, Stub Mandrel said:

I have one bass and a spare for each of the two bands I play in. I play completely different bases for each band (5-string for one and Bass VI for the other) and there is very little crossover between the two. At a pinch I could use the Bass VI for both bands but it wouldn't be a pleasant playing experience for the band where I use the 5-string.

My two 5-string basses are essentially identical both being Gus G3s, but I tend to use the red one because it looks better on stage. My bass VIs are completely different which is a bit of problem, as I use the Eastwood Hooky most of the time, and it's backup - a Burns Barracuda - has much tighter string spacing. I intend to rectify this by selling the Burns and buying another Hooky as soon as funds allow.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2023 at 19:20, Stub Mandrel said:

I enjoy playing a variety of basses, both gigging and at home. I rarely play/rehearse with the same bass twice as it gives songs a different sound and keeps them fresh for me. One day, it'll be a 30" four string and the next it might be a five with a 37" B. It also drives the guitarist nuts and that usually makes my day. 😏

• Like 2
  • Haha 1