Why become a member? ×

This'll cheer you up... It's World Goth Day!

Cat Burrito

23 hours ago, Velarian said:

It’s amazing how enduring goth has become. I was in Leeds the other day and there was a goth girl, immaculately turned out in all her dark finery. She would be late teens/early twenties and my first thought was, crikey, it’s around 40 years since this look first took hold and her mother could have looked just like that. 

Leeds is Goth Central.

Here's our last offering...

https://thegoldenageofnothing.bandcamp.com/album/ten-thousand-hours

Edited by 2elliot
  • Like 1

Leeds always was Goth Central in the good old days.

Used to frequent the Planet X in Liverpool on a weekly basis. Mainly because of the excellent punk gigs, but also the club nights, which were ace.

Edited by Skybone

I went to a Q&A talk thing by John Robb at Rough Trade. He has just released a book "Art of Darkness: The history of goth"

It was great; lots of back-in-the-day goths dressing up, discussion of the music/people and reminiscing about the clubs etc. A little nugget I loved was "if you HAD to break it down to a formula, then Jim Morriston + Bowie × punk = goth"

@BigRedX I was half expecting to see you there 

Edited by Roland Rock
  • Like 1

My sister was a full on Goth back in the 80s/early 90s. A core of my music taste comes from her, but I got more into metal and industrial. But I still love a bit of Goth.

Got my local bookshop to get these in for me last week:

IMG_7842.thumb.jpeg.69b6feb480e3b0028d473c7da23c8762.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roland Rock said:

I went to a Q&A talk thing by John Robb at Rough Trade. He has just released a book "Art of Darkness: The history of goth"

It was great; lots of back-in-the-day goths dressing up, discussion of the music/people and reminiscing about the clubs etc. A little nugget I loved was "if you HAD to break it down to a formula, then Jim Morriston + Bowie × punk = goth"

@BigRedX I was half expecting to see you there 

A friend in Anglesey is hoping to organise a Q&A with Robb up there in the autumn. My friend has known John Robb for a while, so it stands a chance of happening. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Marc S said:

I really must get a copy of John Robb's book on Goth. 

As @bartelby mentioned, "The Season of the Witch" by Cath Unsworth too.  The Mission's Wayne Hussey has just done a second autobiography (this one on The Mission and the last one on his Sisters days). There are also a couple of books on the Sisters released in the last year too. A fine time for people with an interest to read on the subculture. 

I was looking for a book a couple of years ago and there was nothing that wasn't out of print. Post lockdown, it's all changed! 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

his Sisters days

I remember the Sisters were on at freshers week at Leeds Uni in 1982, which was a decent introduction to Goth Town!... I went with Simon from the March Violets who I'd just met that day having joined his Music for the Masses society. At the time I had an attempted Daniel Ash mohican!

• Like 2

I was never a Goth, but a lot of my good friends were...my favourite and most-frequented club in Manchester back in the day was the Banshee, which was generally Goth downstairs and Hair Metal upstairs, plus on a Monday at the Ritz it was Goth night. I went with a friend who was going there for the first time, and as he watched a full dance floor (and it was/is a sprung dance floor, so even more amusing) of Goths, he said:

'Errr...are they having a good time?'

'Yeah, course.'

'How do you know?'

🙂

Edited by Muzz
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

As @bartelby mentioned, "The Season of the Witch" by Cath Unsworth too.  The Mission's Wayne Hussey has just done a second autobiography (this one on The Mission and the last one on his Sisters days). There are also a couple of books on the Sisters released in the last year too. A fine time for people with an interest to read on the subculture. 

I was looking for a book a couple of years ago and there was nothing that wasn't out of print. Post lockdown, it's all changed! 

I really like The Mission and have seen them many times but I couldn't get through that first book.

Found the Fields Of The Nephilim video that my wife was an extra in. She was part of an alternative / modern dance troupe that used to do theatre gigs and art gallery stuff, and they were booked as extras for the video. 

My wife is about as un-goth as it gets nowadays. Funny to think of her being in a Nephilim video :)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, meterman said:

My wife is about as un-goth as it gets nowadays. Funny to think of her being in a Nephilim video :)

That's awesome, we used to watch all the Nephilim videos constantly in the 80s. Coincidentally, the wife of one of my oldest friends used to go out with one of the guitarists and she is STILL very goth. I have a few friends from Stevenage who knew them well too and are now very normal looking.   

I have some very amusing photos of myself but will keep them far from the light of day. Never really called myself a goth despite liking the music and seeing Fields of the Nephilim, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Mission and The Cure numerous times in the late 80’s. I was always a bit eclectic in my music tastes and was simultaneously into punk, psychobilly, blues and folk.

Edited by tegs07

9 hours ago, meterman said:

She was part of an alternative / modern dance troupe that used to do theatre gigs

Funnily enough, in about 1984-5 I was in a  Grotowskian theatre company called Theatre Babel who looked (and postured) in much the same way!

We were so unwilling to "sell out" that we packed up our Edinburgh Fringe show rather than have a Guardian reviewer see us 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Funnily enough, in about 1984-5 I was in a  Grotowskian theatre company called Theatre Babel who looked (and postured) in much the same way!

We were so unwilling to "sell out" that we packed up our Edinburgh Fringe show rather than have a Guardian reviewer see us 🤣

That's some classic BC'age right there!

3 hours ago, tegs07 said:

I have some very amusing photos of myself but will keep them far from the light of day. Never really called myself a goth despite liking the music and seeing Fields of the Nephilim, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Mission and The Cure numerous times in the late 80’s. I was always a bit eclectic in my music tastes and was simultaneously into punk, psychobilly, blues and folk.

You tease us.. Let's see some of those, right here, right now.. 😁

• Like 1