Why become a member? ×

You have £300 and you HAVE to buy a new bass today…..

Rayman

…… there’s a gig tonight, and you can’t access your gear. There’s an amp at the venue, but you need a bass.

It has to be new, from a store, today and there’s no time to modify it.

What are you going to buy?

• Like 4

£300 doesn’t get much from a physical store, otherwise Thomann and an HB of some sort would be in play. It would need to playable and reliable straight out of the box and that shouts Yamaha to me, so a TRBX of some description, probably this one…

image.jpeg.5010290b6a013b7bc503990f1a243b4b.jpeg

At £259 I reckon that’d do very nicely.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 7

I would look for one that is comfortable to play, which would mean just trying out those that are available. On paper I would prefer a Squier P or J, but especially in that price range there is no knowing in advance if the fretwork is bumpy (in the case of Squier Affinity, it was, both times I bough one) and no time to file frets.

If I had to buy blind then probably something with good reputation in terms of QC. Maybe a Yamaha TRBX174 or an Ibanez

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ped said:

Cort Action Plus from Gear4Music (£229) and a set of Elixir 40-100s (or 45-105 as I know they won't have the others in stock). Might leave me with a few £ for a drink.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Cort-Action-Plus-Bass-Black/348M

actionbassplusbknewfull.png

Was about to post this but it's £159 from GuitarGuitar so you can get an extra round in

edit: oh the GG one isn't the Plus version

Edited by velvetkevorkian
  • Like 1

A Sire for £300? That would be the one, or maybe a Spector,  but then the Squier PJ is good value for money. 

To paraphrase ole Winston "never before,  in the field of human bass playing, has so much been available to so many,  for so little.."

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, velvetkevorkian said:

Was about to post this but it's £159 from GuitarGuitar so you can get an extra round in

edit: oh the GG one isn't the Plus version

It's not the plus version but it's plus an extra round.. decisions decisions!

• Haha 1

G&L Tribute LB-100

G&L Tribute JB-2

G&L Tribute Kiloton (B-stock)

All £299 at Andertons right now.  The LB-100 does P, the JB-2 does J, the Kiloton (sorta) does passive SR.  All done with aplomb.  Very happy with my Tribute LB-100.

• Like 11

18 minutes ago, neepheid said:

No contest?  A G&L Tribute will kick any sub £300 Squier up the road and back down again.  Twice.

It'd do the same to the Player series too!

All day long, I'm looking at either a LB100 or Kiloton......

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars/g-l-tribute-lb-100-bass-olympic-maple-fretboardic-white-maple-fretboard

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars/b-stock-:-npr-g-l-tribute-kiloton-bass-candy-apple-red-maple-fretboard-surface-scracthes-on-front-back-of-body