Why become a member? ×

You have £300 and you HAVE to buy a new bass today…..

Rayman

Just looking at my local shop it'd be a Squier Affinity Jazz V as it's the only 5 in stock and under budget. With fresh strings, a strap and a cable, I'd finish up at £299.97. Guess I'd have to see if they'd throw in the cheapest possible bag that should be a tenner and a clip-on tuner that should be a fiver, but if so I'd be self sufficient and have the factory strings as spares. A pair of foam earplugs from behind the bar and I could manage.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

I like the strict local rules. I'll put on my bass case, get on a scooter (following all rules of the road!) over to PMT and grab a Squier Affinity PJ and a 5 string set of Ernie Ball Super Slinkys where I throw away the G to take me down to drop C.

Scooter.. Good plan,  I like your thinking.. no shop assistant in the world's going to catch up with you.. Plus you can nip down a pedestrian underpass or something if the old bill come after you in a motor.. 👍

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Scooter.. Good plan,  I like your thinking.. no shop assistant in the world's going to catch up with you.. Plus you can nip down a pedestrian underpass or something if the old bill come after you in a motor.. 👍

Yeah...right! Minus 200 from Your Karma !!!

6 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Somehow i would like to see the "Pulp fiction" movie tonight.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Just use Google Maps and time it so you can do a quick sprint then hop on a bus............oh hang on, I can see a flaw.......

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I'm working on the "you have to buy a new bass".. Obviously if you add used into the equation then more variables come into play. 

Tho I'd still say a Squier P bass stands 

Tho I'd still say a Squier J bass stands

On 05/05/2023 at 13:58, Elfrasho said:

Id go to Guitar Guitar in Glasgow and buy the G&L Tribute JB-2 thats down from 349 to 299. On the basis that I've yet to try a G&L Tribute, and everyone seems to rave about them, plus I'm a sucker for a deal.

Great to hear they are still going, I'm sure I bought three Westfield B1000 P basses from there, back in the day. 

Interesting discussion. I bought my first bass in 1977 for £35 from Minns Music in Brighton. As I recall I had a choice of precisely one bass, a Zenta EB copy which I purchased. That £35 is worth around £280 today for which there is a great selection of some really decent instruments which are perfectly giggable and would blow my old Zenta out of the water. Kids today don’t know how lucky they are 🙄

• Like 4

Just now, spacecowboy said:

Great thread! 

I’d need a 5 string. Guitar Guitar in Brum would sort me out a Squier Affinity Jazz Bass V in 3 Colour Sunburst for £269! So I think I’d make the gig and be happy enough! 

As I don't do 5's I hadn't considered those.. Good to know you can also get a 5 well in budget 👍

• Like 1

Just now, spacecowboy said:

It’s the only 1 mind! 😬 everything else is north of £300!!

No doubt !

But going on my Squier you'd be fine with that one. I could've literally plugged it in, tuned it & played the gig with it straight out of the box, the action was perfectly playable, intonation spot on, and a very decent all round sound. 5 stars from me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Waddo Soqable said:

No doubt !

But going on my Squier you'd be fine with that one. I could've literally plugged it in, tuned it & played the gig with it straight out of the box, the action was perfectly playable, intonation spot on, and a very decent all round sound. 5 stars from me. 

Yeah I have a 5 string Squier P Bass in my rack and I bloody love it! It’s one of the Cort made ones so quality is up there! Picked it up for around £250! 

• Like 1