Why become a member? ×

Letts Bass

TheGreek

Just to quickly update, Jon Letts asked me to contact him via email with a view to resolving the issue, which I've done.

I'll keep everyone updated as to how this develops, and if it is resolved.

I just hope that Jon learns something from this unfortunate experience, and moves forward.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, EddieG said:

Just to quickly update, Jon Letts asked me to contact him via email with a view to resolving the issue, which I've done.

I'll keep everyone updated as to how this develops, and if it is resolved.

I just hope that Jon learns something from this unfortunate experience, and moves forward.

I'd bet a decent chuck of money that it's just another way for him to long out the situation. 

I'd be going back to court to obtain permission for bailiffs to seize assets. If you take away his tools, no one else can become a victim to his scams. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

... I'd be going back to court to obtain permission for bailiffs to seize assets. If you take away his tools, no one else can become a victim to his scams. 

I think that, in France at least, tools of the trade are exempt from being seized by bailiffs. It may be different in the UK, though. B|

• Like 1

Binky, you could well be right on that, I know you've certainly got enough solid experience to base your reply on.👍

As per his request I've emailed him this evening with a proposal for an instrument that would bring matters to a close. The proposed costs come in under the outstanding amount and isn't demanding an Alembic or Ritter level of luthiery, but it would fulfil the needs I have for an instrument now, and is in my opinion extremely reasonable. 
I can list a cost breakdown later if needs be and I'll retain the email just in case, but the ball is now in his court, and it's down to whether he wants to follow exactly the specs I require, or doesn't. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, EddieG said:

Binky, you could well be right on that, I know you've certainly got enough solid experience to base your reply on.👍

As per his request I've emailed him this evening with a proposal for an instrument that would bring matters to a close. The proposed costs come in under the outstanding amount and isn't demanding an Alembic or Ritter level of luthiery, but it would fulfil the needs I have for an instrument now, and is in my opinion extremely reasonable. 
I can list a cost breakdown later if needs be and I'll retain the email just in case, but the ball is now in his court, and it's down to whether he wants to follow exactly the specs I require, or doesn't. 

Glutton for punishment springs to minds. The Ball has been in Jons court for 10 years and now you are prolonging your own agony.

You seem to have ignored all that has been said here and on TB warning you away from Jon - not just as someone who is untrustworthy, but also someone who has questionable skills to build a fully functioning bass, nevermind what would happen if you need after sales support.

As for following your specs, you have chastised Jon previously for his inability to follow your specs. Now you expect that to suddenly change?

SMH

Edited by dyerseve
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, christhammer666 said:

i cant believe their are people actually defending letts on TB

There was only one person, who without reading the whole thread, blamed Eddie rather than blaming Jon.

So no, there are not "people actually defending letts on TB".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EddieG said:

It’s as if you want to keep it all going another 10 years? 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, EddieG said:

I was behind you all the way until I just read this. Are you mad? After all he’s put you through you’re going down the ‘finish the instrument’ route? Even if he does complete something similar to what you’ve specced, it won’t be 100% and it’ll just sit there as a reminder of all the crap you went through and that you still didn’t get what you want. Plus, you’ll never be able to sell if you need to. Might not even be able to give it away at this rate. I’d rather wave goodbye to the money forever. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely second those sentiments... 

DONT get Jon to build you a bass... get your money back. He is not a skilled luthier. The bass he made for me was unplayable. The intonation was WAY off and because he built it with a fix, wholly unadjustable Bridge, (not what I ordered) there was no way to remedy the intonation and it had to go back to him and when he sent it back (uninsured to save himself a few quid) it was damage in transit due to the poor way he'd packaged it. 

DO NOT GET JON TO BUILD YOU A BASS. Get you money back and put a deposit down on a trusted, skilled luthier such as ACG, Shuker, Overwater, Zoot etc. 

• Like 10

I'm in agreement with my esteemed colleagues. Once bitten twice shy and all that....

I can't help feeling you're setting yourself up for a long road of pain, frustration and anger.

I appreciate everything you've done so far and I admire your doggedness and determination. I think you've conducted yourself admirably but please don't forget to look after your own sanity and mental health too.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I'm in agreement with my esteemed colleagues. Once bitten twice shy and all that....

I can't help feeling you're setting yourself up for a long road of pain, frustration and anger.

I appreciate everything you've done so far and I admire your doggedness and determination. I think you've conducted yourself admirably but please don't forget to look after your own sanity and mental health too.

100% this. I'd look for a way to move on. I struggled for about a year to recover a debt I was owed. Did everything I could, and in the end, it never came to anything. I've had to write the debt off and move on. 

I'm concerned, like the rest of the guys here, that you're exposing yourself to more heartbreak, upset, and disappointment. I think we all hope that isn't the case.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

100% this. I'd look for a way to move on. I struggled for about a year to recover a debt I was owed. Did everything I could, and in the end, it never came to anything. I've had to write the debt off and move on. 

I'm concerned, like the rest of the guys here, that you're exposing yourself to more heartbreak, upset, and disappointment. I think we all hope that isn't the case.

I’ll be a little more Freudian, consciously or unconsciously keeping this alive is rewarding the OP in some way, I’ve seen a lot of similar cases professionally although usually with more problematic and ostensibly harder to let go objects.

Lawrie, your advice is the absolute bottom line here, he has to let it go, the distraction, the time, the stress, and the effects of all of these on his life will cost more than the (in reality) small amount of money involved. It will be the best outcome for him and his family. 

The luthier also needs to take a good long look at his life - ideally with professional help both in terms of business and behaviour - and have the courage to either right his wrongs properly with money not promises, and/or walk away from this ‘career’ and find an honest way of earning an income. It will be best for him and his family in the long run also. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dyerseve said:

Maybe some kind of Stockholm Syndrome going on here...

It’s potentially in the same space, although I was being entirely speculative above.

But you don’t have to look far in life to see people keeping feuds alive long past the point at which any resolution is either possible or even the goal of that feud?

If it was me I wouldn’t want a bass from him now, I’d just want my money back and move on to an alternative builder , if there’s something wrong with it you’re back to square one, I’d buy another bass 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I can't help feeling you're setting yourself up for an even longer road of pain, frustration and anger.

Agreed, with the slight amendment added. Personally I'd be looking for closure via cash rather than an instrument that has the quite real potential to be a} shonky and b} unsellable once you get (as hiram said above) tired of being reminded every time you look at it of all the years off ballache you went through to end up with something that isn't what you wanted. 

• Like 2

I definitely wouldn't have agreed to Letts making a bass because it will be a begrudgingly made bass rather than one made with care and attention. Instead, I would have taken steps to get my due money and then never have anything to do with him. Lesson learnt.

Edited by TheLowDown
  • Like 2

@EddieG I get that at this point you're probably willing to entertain the promise of a build from Jon out of sheer desperation/frustration, because you want something to show for all the years and heartache invested in this sh1t show, but I completely agree with what others have said; he likely again won't deliver on another build and it'll just turn into another lengthy saga, it likely will be poor quality for your money, and even if it is playable, it will always have a very negative period of your life attached to it.

Personally, I would have a last shot at getting him to commit to some kind of payment plan (even if it's relatively little a month). If that didn't work, I think I'd just have to walk away and leave the whole thing behind me for my own sanity.

Good luck to you whatever happens next.

• Like 1

Oh, no. Please don't get him to do anything except hand over money. The time for patience and being nice is long gone. Even at that, I feel you'll be screaming "Gimme the money!!" a la Gary Sinese in Ransom with very possibly no result.

You won't get any joy from this if you try and get him to build something because it'll never happen. 

Surely, can you not just get the bailiffs to take his car, TV, phones, camera (since he's making Youtube videos), PC's and anything else of value? Or does it not work like that? Are court mandated payment orders not enforceable by asset seizure? 

• Like 1

Another concern you should consider...

If you do commission another bass from him this would constitute another contract and could nullify your County Court action against him. 

As others have said,  there is no guarantee of the quality of the new build.  Unlikely that you'll be a returning customer so what's his motivation to do a good job?

I'm with the majority here, get your money back and get in contact with @Andyjr1515 to build you what you want. 

There's a reason why he's always busy.

• Like 2

Full refund plus interest on the money from date of payment.

Nothing else.

Even if he builds you a Fodera level instrument you will never be happy with it. You will always associate this drama with it. It will sour the entire experience when it should be a happy one. And you could never be confident about any aftercare you might need.

• Like 2