Why become a member? ×

Travelling with a bass guitar in a roof box

DylanB

Hello hive mind

I have an opportunity to combine a gig with a family holiday. What has stopped me doing this in the past is the fact that I can’t get my family (wife and 2 kids) and my gear in my Skoda Octavia hatchback at the same time.

The biggest issue is that with the seats up, the bass will only fit in the boot diagonally, which obviously cuts down on the space for other stuff. Not an issue normally because I can fold the rear seats down, but in this scenario that means no kids.

I’m thinking about getting a roof box for the car that is long enough to fit a bass guitar in. In a case, obviously. Then I think I’ll have room for everything between the boot and the remaining space in the roof box.

Anyone had issues transporting a bass this way? People have mentioned vibrations as a potential issue, but in that respect is it really going to be worse than having it in the boot? This would be in the summer so temperature not a huge issue.

Grateful for any insight, recommendations, horror stories…

I have an Octavia as well, although it's an estate and my kids are all grown up and left home.

I wouldn't have a problem putting my bass ( in a good case, of course ) in a roof box, as long as it was never left unattended, and was securely tied down to stop it moving about. Mine has straps inside for holding skis in place, I'm sure they would work for a bass case.

Mine is a Thule box ( pronounced Too-ler , as I found out when I tried to sell them some IT services )

A good roof box shouldn't leak, even in heavy rain.

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE EXTRA HEIGHT WHEN GOING INTO CAR PARKS !!!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Opportunists would love the chance to get their hands on something they could exchange for a couple of bags of smack / crack.

Would the kids be open to travelling in the roof box?

As @chrisba said, the key is probably to never leave it unattended. In ‘family mode’ that’s achievable. 

And yes they would! 😂 

• Haha 1

Have you tried your bass in the boot, I had a couple of Octavia VRS saloons over the years and I could get two Precisions in gig bags immediately behind the rear lights (at the wide bit!) my 11 plate was slightly better than my 64 plate but even with the 64 plate the little plastic divider on the left can be removed to make it wider...not sure you would get a Thunderbird in there but anything Precision sized will fit in a gig bag

If you have a roof box, put all the crap you'd usually put on the boot in there, and then put your bass on the boot?

However, when our kids were little, and we had dogs in the boot, our roof box was always full of all sorts of family holiday detritus, securely strapped down, but just normal family luggage. We could lock it (which we did) but there was no real reason why anyone would target a roof box full of dirty laundry (basically) over some of the more easy targets.

• Like 2

Could you maybe get another bass with a shorter scale that would do the job okay? 
If you bought wisely it would maybe be a cheaper option than the roof box too - I’m 

thinking Squier Jaguar etc in a gig bag on top of your luggage in the boot.

Certainly more of a fun purchase too…..

I saw the Polish klezmer trio Kroke play once (violin, accordion, double bass), and afterwards noticed them loading up into an estate car with a fibreglass case for the double bass on a roof rack. It looked to me as though he had a 3/4 bass in a soft case that fitted inside the hard case, which was possibly made for a 4/4 bass to give space. The hard case was permanently fixed to the roof rack. It took two of them to lift the bass in, but it evidently meant that the whole band could tour in one estate car.

21 minutes ago, JoeEvans said:

It occurs to me that a Steinberger Spirit would cost about the same as a high quality roof box, and would take up less storage space for the rest of the year...

This.  Except I'd go for one of the Hohner B range.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Roger2611 said:

Have you tried your bass in the boot, I had a couple of Octavia VRS saloons over the years and I could get two Precisions in gig bags immediately behind the rear lights (at the wide bit!) my 11 plate was slightly better than my 64 plate but even with the 64 plate the little plastic divider on the left can be removed to make it wider...not sure you would get a Thunderbird in there but anything Precision sized will fit in a gig bag

Hmm… I will experiment.

22 minutes ago, JoeEvans said:

I saw the Polish klezmer trio Kroke play once (violin, accordion, double bass), and afterwards noticed them loading up into an estate car with a fibreglass case for the double bass on a roof rack. It looked to me as though he had a 3/4 bass in a soft case that fitted inside the hard case, which was possibly made for a 4/4 bass to give space. The hard case was permanently fixed to the roof rack. It took two of them to lift the bass in, but it evidently meant that the whole band could tour in one estate car.

Yeah I think it’s de rigueur in the DB world to put the bass on the roof. Understandable. Which makes me think it wouldn’t do any harm.

Also, I absolutely love that the BC response to this question seems to be “buy another bass!” Never change 🤣

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JoeEvans said:

I did this for many years: except for the hard case. If it looked like rain I'd tie a tarpaulin over the top to keep the water out. Transported a 5-piece bluegrass band from Canterbury to London and back for a gig.

So I would say a bass in a hard case tied down in a roof box will be absolutely fine.

The only risk is that the amount of stuff you need to take will expand to fill the roof box, so you will end up taking a load more crap with you. Make sure the bass goes in first 🙂

• Haha 1

Also, if you go the roof box route PLEASE ensure you lock it! I had a VERY scary experience once while driving our band van when the roof box of a car in front exploded open at 70+mph littering the motorway with detritus including, but not limited to, a duvet and some sleeping bags which went under our van wheels at said high speed and very nearly killed us....

Edited by cetera
Spelling - sosij fingers
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, cetera said:

Also, if you go the roof box route PLEASE ensure you lock it! I had a VERY scray experience once while driving our band van when the roof box of a car in front exploded open at 70+mph littering the motorway with detritus including, but not limited to, a duvet and some sleeping bags which went under our van wheels at said high speed and very nearly killed us....

100%

9 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

How tall is Mrs DylanB, how old are the sprogs?  If Mrs DB isn't super tall and the kids aren't 17 year old England Junior rugbyists, then get the passenger seat as far forward as you can and strap the bass in its gig bag vertically to the rear of the seat.

The kids are still young, and that’s the problem actually; they still need car seats, which are fairly bulky. So I’m not sure it’ll work. Worth experimenting though. Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

This.  Except I'd go for one of the Hohner B range.

Have you played both? I'm quite fancying one of these myself but opinions seem to vary on which of those two is better. Yamaha BX1 looks better than both but more expensive too...