Why become a member? ×

“All original”

Burns-bass

This bass is all original, apart from changed pickups or scratch late, or tuners, or bridge. 

How many times do I see this? I messaged a seller and he said “it’s all original, apart from a refinish”, which would inevitably (if done properly) necessitate the removal of the pickups and wiring.

Its a small thing, but language matters! Apologies for the rant, but the cat didn’t know what I was talking about.

• Like 4

Like "vintage" and "rare", it has lost all meaning aside from something to catch the eye of a desperate buyer. Get all three words together in the same ad and you should win a prize. Other personal favourites include "L@@K!!!" "Matsumoku" and the wonderful "golden era"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

This bass is all original, apart from changed pickups or scratch late, or tuners, or bridge. 

How many times do I see this? I messaged a seller and he said “it’s all original, apart from a refinish”, which would inevitably (if done properly) necessitate the removal of the pickups and wiring.

Its a small thing, but language matters! Apologies for the rant, but the cat didn’t know what I was talking about.

Yep, I saw one 70’s Jazz advertised as all original, but it had been refinished, the pickups rewound, the pots replaced, oh, and potentially the neck wasn’t original either. 🙄

The thing was basically Trigger’s Broom…

Edited by Jakester

3 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Like "vintage" and "rare", it has lost all meaning aside from something to catch the eye of a desperate buyer. Get all three words together in the same ad and you should win a prize. Other personal favourites include "L@@K!!!" "Matsumoku" and the wonderful "golden era"

“Those who know, know” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Lawsuit 🤨

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Doctor J said:

And add “law suit”  there weren’t really that many!

Don’t actually have too much of a problem with the “all original apart from…” language - I’ve probably used it myself at times!

Other than it being a bit mangled on the grammar front it does seem a fairly straightforward way of referencing what’s what on an instrument.

Nothing really winds me up language-wise musically other than people referring to an instrument as “she”. 

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Don’t actually have too much of a problem with the “all original apart from…” language - I’ve probably used it myself at times!

Other than it being a bit mangled on the grammar front it does seem a fairly straightforward way of referencing what’s what on an instrument.

Nothing really winds me up language-wise musically other than people referring to an instrument as “she”. 

Can you refer to anything as ''she'' now? It's a bit of a ''pc'' minefield......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Always confuses me (in a "I know why, but still..." sort of way) when I see a guitar or bass that's of a certain vintage being advertised for sale, and it's clearly survived quite happily in one piece for many tens of years, so the first thing that happens to it in the shop is that somebody dismantles it completely to prove just how left-alone it was until they tore it apart. But they have to be able to say with confidence that it's all original.

6 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Silly and ultra cheesy.   Calling a lump of wood  or a car  ' her '

Why not 'him '   ?    Actually, either is as sad as the other.  Inanimate objects don't have a gender.

It depends on what language you are speaking. In Welsh and French, for example, all objects are gendered.

English's supposedly lost this with Middle English, but in practice it's hung on and been influenced by languages like French.

It depends on what language you are speaking. In Welsh and French, for example, all objects are gendered.

English's supposedly lost this with Middle English, but in practice it's hung on and been influenced by languages like French.

------------------------------------------------------

Yes i agree - possibly Italian  has this too ?

Edited by fleabag

2 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Not even Action Man? Action Thing doesn't have the same sales appeal.

I know you're trying to be hilarious, but Action Man was designed with a gender, like Barbie dolls.

A guitar wasnt

3 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

... people referring to an instrument as “she”. 

It's an expression of endearment, usually. I have several guitars, basses, drum kits etc... Only a couple of them get the term 'she'; those I hold most dear. One could say the same of pet animals, really. Goldfish and bats are 'it'; fluffy kittens and gun dogs are 'he/she'. It's not really a gender thing at all; when a friendly dog approaches a stranger, there will often result a 'Who's a good boy, then, eh..?' Whether a male or female dog matters little. It's of no consequence, really; just a matter of personal affectivity (or not...). My car, for instance, is 'it'; the old 403 ambulance I once had was definitely a 'she'; costly to run and capricious, but I was saddened to part with her. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

It's an expression of endearment, usually. I have several guitars, basses, drum kits etc... Only a couple of them get the term 'she'; those I hold most dear. One could say the same of pet animals, really. Goldfish and bats are 'it'; fluffy kittens and gun dogs are 'he/she'. It's not really a gender thing at all; when a friendly dog approaches a stranger, there will often result a 'Who's a good boy, then, eh..?' Whether a male or female dog matters little. It's of no consequence, really; just a matter of personal affectivity (or not...). My car, for instance, is 'it'; the old 403 ambulance I once had was definitely a 'she'; costly to run and capricious, but I was saddened to part with her. :friends:

Blimey, you had a pet Bat.. That's proper Goth that is.... 

12 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Blimey, you had a pet Bat.. That's proper Goth that is.... 

No, you fool; any goldfish or bat, whether kept as a pet or in the wild, would, for most people be 'it'. I have never had either as pets or ...

Oh, what's the use..! ¬¬

:on_the_quiet:

• Haha 1