Why become a member? ×

Hatters gonna Hat - Show us your favorite gigging hat(s)!

SamIAm

• SamIAm changed the title to Hatters gonna Hat - Show us your favorite gigging hat(s)!

There was a time back in the day(20+ years ago) when it was mandatory to wear a head covering of some sort in my stoner rock band. Black woolly hats or skip caps were acceptable. Almost a hat I suppose. These days head coverings are purely functional to stop brain freeze 😁 No pic the hat didnt happen? I suppose so. The bass hasn't aged at all, everything else has. On another note, I was always impressed by Roger Glover's hat collection. He's the only bassist I can recall who got away with wearing a straw trilby in both Rainbow and Deep Purple. Nice.

hat.thumb.jpg.ca983d10f227db8aa7d51679fab2c6a4.jpg

• Like 2

I was given this for Christmas by the in laws. I can kind of see where they were coming from, but I wouldn't dream of wearing it in public. It makes me look like an Oasis fan (can't stand them) or a cheap extra from Kevin and Perry.  I might wear it in the pool in summer to keep the sun off, but on stage I'm happy to embrace the bald. I've been shaving my head since I was 25, so it's much more a part of my look than any hat. I'm strictly a beany when it's cold man. 

IMG_20230123_094829.jpg

• Like 1

Having been follicly challenged for many years (my dad was bald as were both my granddads, I was always on a hiding to nothing with regard to my bicep covering) and own many, many hats, not least because I need to protect it from UV having had an UV induced growth. However, other than for a photoshoot and maybe an early gig or two with that band, I go sans titfer. Back when I had hair I would sport a bandana to soak up the sweat, but I use a towel these days, if required. Nonetheless, this thread calls for a hat, so a hat you shall have…

7E0004ED-616B-4D9A-AAE3-EC894AD0A75E.thumb.jpeg.823c25feebe49287d30f1c02c33b4579.jpeg

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Having been follicly challenged for many years (my dad was bald as was both my granddads, I was always on a hiding to nothing with regard to my bicep covering) and own many, many hats, not least because I need to protect it from UV having had an UV induced growth. However, other than for a photoshoot and maybe an early gig or two with that band, I go sans titfer. Back when I had hair I would sport a bandana to soak up the sweat, but I use a towel these days, if required. Nonetheless, this thread calls for a hat, so a hat you shall have…

7E0004ED-616B-4D9A-AAE3-EC894AD0A75E.thumb.jpeg.823c25feebe49287d30f1c02c33b4579.jpeg

Blimey, have you got Mark Knopfler on guitar?... Love the Keytar btw :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Blimey, have you got Mark Knopfler on guitar?... Love the Keytar btw :)

There are other shots where that very fine guitar player and very close friend looks even more like MK. He can also play exactly like MK when he wants too. However, it’s his own style that never fails to blow me away, a cross between Alan Murphy, Andy Powell, Johnny Marr and Knopfler. Lovely fella too who has to be told to turn up, a rare beast indeed.

I would like to add that everyone in that band (not including myself here for fear of seeming a braggart) were fantastic musicians and I learnt masses during my tenure with them.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/01/2023 at 18:37, Mike Brooks said:

Usual food shopping attire...

FB_IMG_1654622307468.jpg

My wife had a hat that looked a bit like that, but it was fluffy. Same colour, though. One day we went fishing and she was sat behind me, it was the middle of winter so she had her fluffy hat on. The lake seemed empty, I couldn’t see anyone else fishing.
At one point, as I was casting, I managed to hook her hat without realising, and I cast that bloomin’ thing half way across the lake! Then I heard, very loudly, from behind some reeds: “What the hell’s that?! A bloody chicken?!”.

I just sat there, dumbfounded, until eventually my wife suggested I reeled it back in. Fortunately, the hook was still attached to the hat (I was worried because it was barbless). We went home after that, though, because her head was cold…

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Piers_Williamson said:

This has more than a passing 'Chas and Dave' look about it....and who was the famous guitarist who used to play with them?

I’m taking it the fourth member (banjo player) has his palm frond hat on and is disguised as a bush? 

• Haha 2

I had a cool top hat (prob is still knocking around the place somewhere) but it was too small / tight for my bonce... So not to be defeated I made a tool / jig thing  from a thick lump of wood, kind of "section thru head" size,  then sawed it in quarters and introduced some threaded studding, washers and nuts. 

This enabled me to enlarge the hat by damping it and then screwing the expanding blocks apart, stretching it to a suitable size, after leaving overnight to set obviously. Seemed to work pretty well.