Why become a member? ×

Is this really the best place for an jack?

dclaassen

I started out my bass career on P’s and J’s with the jack in the usual place. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve bumped this kind of arrangement into guitar stands, chairs, etc. Maybe a right angle jack would help…

thoughts? 
8F9A07F8-FBE6-4C15-8EE1-EE5D708C7F08.thumb.jpeg.8ac58b7848133ad8d4bcc298cd6b8f33.jpeg

I have recently bought my first bass with a front mounted jack socket. I have only ever owned seven basses, though, this being the seventh. I’ve never had a problem, but then I have never known any different. I always remove the plug before putting the bass down anyway, a habit I developed to save on preamp batteries.

• Like 4

I bought a Fender Precision Elite bass 4 years ago and the jack position is a right pain in the erse. I was always knocking the jack as it poked out from the bottom of the body. Recently the jack input (which is a plasticky, fragile, stereo one) gave up the ghost. I've just recently managed to track a replacement one down and import it from Spain. I'll be fitting it soon, hopefully it will last longer than the original one.

I've always used a right angle jack on a Jazz, looped around the strap. I've stood on the lead a few times, and it saves it being bashed too. 

The only time I've used straight jacks is on something like a Fender Strat, where there is that recessed socket so it ideally needs a straight jack, otherwise the right angle one is sticking out and gets caught etc...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Even with a right angled jack I find the placement is just in the wrong place for putting on a guitar stand. Typically the guitar I’m using in one of my bands has this placement, bah.

In that case you should loop the cable forward of the body and back in between body and strap. I don't think I have seen a jack so far back that it is impossible.

If that’s an active bass it shouldn’t be a problem, the jack shouldn’t be plugged into the bass whilst it’s on the stand, you will flatten the battery very quickly, only have the jack plugged in when it’s being played.

If it’s passive, then everything I have said above is b*llox.😀

I’ve had edge mounted jacks for years, occasional issues with stands, but nothing that bothered me too much, just buy the right stand. However, my 2 most recent basses have front mount and I must say that I now much prefer that position. OK, it’s not terribly elegant looking, but I do find it more practical.

• Like 1

Nice helpful comments…thanks! My Jazz also has the plug position, but it doesn’t seem to be as much of an issue. The specter is passive, but has a 9v for the piezo system. I’m sure this could drain the battery over time. I just never leave any bass plugged in out of habit…been playing active basses since 1978.

• Like 1

Had a mox over the years, never had a break on the side facing output. Had one break on the front facing output when my drummer stepped backwards off the drum riser and stood right on the lead. Cracked the pickgaurd and pushed the whole lead out jack into the cavity at a weird angle.

Moral of the story. Unplug whenever possible nomatter where the jack is!

I get custom leads made up with an angled jack both ends. Tidier at the bass end wherever the socket is located. Less likely to do damage when a drunken punter stumbles onto your pedals.

Strange that you can't seem to buy them off the shelf, but custom made leads are not much more expensive and last a lot longer if made of decent quality jacks (always Neutrik!) and cable