Why become a member? ×

jeff beck has passed away

skidder652003

This is one of those passings that has genuinely shocked me. Absolutely gutted! He wasn’t a young man, but the way he played and carried himself was that so a much younger man. Wallington’s most famous son (I used to live around the corner from where he grew up and played his first gig) and a true individual voice on the guitar. RIP, Jeff, your gig at the Hammersmith in ‘80 stills stands as one of my best ever live experiences.

• Like 2

Just been watching the news. . . . Sad to see that Jeff is no longer with us.😪

What an absolute legend - I only ever saw him playing live once and he was absolutely mesmerising.

I'm sure like many who admired him as not only a truly amazing guitarist but also a consummate musician, I will be listening to a lot of his music over the next week or so.

Good bye Jeff Beck, thank you for the memory of watching you on the stage.

Another great who has left us.

A sad day.

• Like 2

I saw him twice at the Manchester Apollo, once with Terry Bozzio and Tony Hymas in 89, then again in the early 00s with Tal Wilkenfield and Vinnie Colaiuta. He was astounding both times, one of those players who genuinely made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. A sad loss.

Aways admired the way Jeff Beck pushed himself musically - never standing still, trying out new styles, working with a diverse sets of musos. All signs of a creative musician IMHO. 

More than that though, he was such an exciting guitar player!! 

RIP 😔

• Like 1

Another unique voice gone. What a body of music to leave behind.

Saw him a few times over the years - first was at the Royal Festival Hall in 2002, at various points he was joined by John McLaughlin and Terry Bozzio, then the White Stripes came out for the Yardbirds mini-set. Later Paul Rodgers did Going Down. What a gig. We were sitting the row behind a rowdy group of Vic Reeves, John Sessions, Damon Hill. Leaving the venue at the end, we clocked we were the row in front of Jimmy Page and Harvey Goldsmith.

• Like 4

Jeff Beck was a phenomena, a one-off. Like when Aretha Franklin died, there is no one comparable to take his place. I once heard Malcolm McLaren describe Jeff as the Paganini of the electric guitar, and I wouldn't disagree with that.

Special talents like that don't come along very often. Jeff had his own unique voice on the guitar, and it was beautiful. There was always something challenging and edgy about Jeff's playing. All the way through his career that distinctiveness set him apart from most of his contemporaries. He will be sorely missed.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 3

Love this interview with him. He was so driven from an early age. His creativity and work ethic also led him to build some lovely hot rod cars in his own garage. Shame this doesn't show the whole interview where he talks about going round Jimmy Page's house to have a go on 'proper' guitars. EDIT; Full interview now on next page!

Edited by Japhet

No one back in the day made albums that sounded like (or even half as good)  their gigs. . . . except Jeff Beck.

Close your eyes and listen to Beck-Ola. It's exactly like the stage show. Marshall amps straining and flat out energetic playing. Micky Most wanted to make another Hi Ho Silver Lining, but the band told him to sod off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvt2xJB4uMc

• Like 3