Why become a member? ×

The Blues Brothers

JJTee

This was really big at my school in the mid 80s, with the 6th formers putting on a show and then hiring out the theatre in the town for a short run. I was a bit young but sort of absorbed it via osmosis through my older sister.

Anyway, I rediscovered it at my daughter’s Xmas show where they danced to Shake Your Tail Feather (something to do with turkeys I think) My ears pricked up at the lovely bass work, and I’ve been listening to it again and I’m loving Duck Dunn’s lines!

Ended up ordering Aidan Hampton’s excellent transcription of the sound track: https://playbasslines.sellfy.store/embed/checkout/product/xxknxj/?referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fplaybasslines.sellfy.store%2Fembed%2Fcategory%2Febooks%2F%3Fpage%3D2

Anyone luck enough to have played this in a show? Some great stuff here 👇

Edited by JJTee
  • Like 7

This film was a gateway drug for me and plays a big part in my love of this sort of music. Have played a bunch of the songs with a soul band I used to be in. Great lines, great grooves. 

A drummer friend of mine plays in a touring Blues Brothers show and has an absolute ball doing it. 

• Like 7

Just now, Richard R said:

The CD almost a permanent fixture in the car.

Along with a pair of sunglasses and half a pack of cigarettes, of course. :sun_bespectacled:

The full tank of gas is more a pipe dream given fuel costs at present? 🤣

S'manth x

• Haha 3

Awesome stuff @JJTee!

I have to admit (much to my chagrin) that on the first viewing I simply did not "get it" 🤯

Second viewing a few years later ... WOW!

I cannot count the number of times I've enjoyed it since ... in fact, I think it may be time for another viewing! (Or shall I start getting my fingers around one from the transcriptions book I just purchased ...  as a result of your post!🤣

S'manth x

• Like 1

I too love this film. There’s a bunch of transcriptions on my website for those who haven’t got the book mentioned.

I didn’t get it first time but second viewing in a decent home cinema setup and I was like ‘hello, listen to the bass…”. Dunn is a killer player - he says so much, often using very little. I always compare his (mainly) crotchet and quaver approach with Jamerson’s 16th note approach and how they both work, in very different ways to propel the music along. 

• Like 2