Why become a member? ×

When Music and Politics collide

Happy Jack

13 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

The article contains links to about 5 other artists who tried to stop Trump using their songs... You'd think he'd get the message being the sensitive type he is!

Now I obviously don't know the context and I am unlikely to attend such an event, but if someone asked me list the top five artists I'd expect to hear at a Donald Trump campaign rally, it probably wouldn't include The Village People.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, bassbloke said:

Now I obviously don't know the context and I am unlikely to attend such an event, but if someone asked me list the top five artists I'd expect to hear at a Donald Trump campaign rally, it probably wouldn't include The Village People.

It would be full of village idiots though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10

14 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

The article contains links to about 5 other artists who tried to stop Trump using their songs... You'd think he'd get the message being the sensitive type he is!

With the US as polarised as it is I can't imagine any comercially minded band or artist wants their work associated with either Republicans or Democrats.

It's just going to alienate half their potential audience.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cato said:

With the US as polarised as it is I can't imagine any commercially minded band or artist wants their work associated with either Republicans or Democrats.

It's just going to alienate half their potential audience.

This. I appreciate that bands such as Journey have made their millions and probably don't need to worry about alienating people, but it makes no commercial sense to do so. Given that much of the world, not just the US, is polarised these days, it makes little sense to do it anywhere.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Neal Schon should remember the recent lesson of Joe Lycett - it'll now doubtless soon come to light that Schon once played a benefit gig for the SS or something and he'll end up looking a bit daft.

Joe Lycett didn't try to hide the fact he'd done a gig there. He also said, if someone had called him out for it at the time, he probably wouldn't have done it.

Cain's wife Paula White is a crackpot of the highest order. Utterly insane. Claims to have walked around heaven with god and seen the spare parts department where you get replacements for limbs you lost in life when you get to heaven.

Music and politics have been linked for a very long time. Some of the greatest artists have been very political. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Some of the greatest artists have been very political. 

Like 99% of Rage Against the Machines lyrics. In 2009 BBC asked RATM not swear whilst performing Killing in The Name live but Zack de la Rocha had a different approach.....🤣

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SH73 said:

Like 99% of Rage Against the Machines lyrics. In 2009 BBC asked RATM not swear whilst performing Killing in The Name live but Zack de la Rocha had a different approach.....🤣

They asked him not to sing "F**k you. I won't do what you tell me"

What did they expect???

Politics in music goes at least back to the blues. 

Apparently Bob Dylans lyrics political but all I hear is vowels 

12 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

They asked him not to sing "F**k you. I won't do what you tell me"

What did they expect???

Politics in music goes at least back to the blues. 

Apparently Bob Dylans lyrics political but all I hear is vowels 

Who's Bob Dylan?

I pretty much disregard the politics of the artist, as long as the music is good.  I don't like Eric Clapton because his music is crap, not because he right wing, and I like Billy Bragg even though his politics stinks.  Everyone is entitled to a view, even if it's wrong.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm also the kind of person who can separate the art from the artist. I mean, I still listen to Chris Brown's music despite his past controversies. But, I also understand why some people can't do the same. If someone's music just doesn't appeal to you, it doesn't matter if they're left or right wing. And yeah, it's definitely okay to have differing political views. It's what makes the world interesting, right? As long as we're not hurting anyone or promoting hate, we should be able to express our opinions freely. By the way, have you checked out https://www.politiq.net/? It's a political social media platform where people can share their views and have discussions. It's pretty cool because you can connect with people who have similar beliefs as you or even engage with those who have opposing views.

Edited by Olandeep

On 23/12/2022 at 19:43, SH73 said:

Like 99% of Rage Against the Machines lyrics. 🤣

Oh god, they were the last band I expected to go woke. I liked them better before they went so political and were still raging against vending machines and leaf blowers  :lol:

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Oh god, they were the last band I expected to go woke. I liked them better before they went so political and were still raging against vending machines and leaf blowers  :lol:

The comments on their anti trump social media posts were hilarious. People were shocked that Rage didn't dig the whole maga thing 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

The comments on their anti trump social media posts were hilarious. People were shocked that Rage didn't dig the whole maga thing 

"What?? But when you said 'f**k you I won't do what you tell me', I thought you were talking about the goddamn feminists!"

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1