Why become a member? ×

Music man Sub series

Georgesimooon

Impossible to tell which ones he meant. but there is:

SUB USA: Mid 2000s, textured finish and metal pickguard, painted necks, go for £500-£700

Sterling SUB / Ray: Far east made, thinner nut profile and 'large' bridge. Sounds close enough but they do feel a lot cheaper.

Sterling Ray 34: Far east made but higher quality, full copies of USA instruments

If you can get a USA SUB for a good price they are just as good as a 'proper' Stingray.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Machines said:

If you can get a USA SUB for a good price they are just as good as a 'proper' Stingray

Absolutely not "as good". They were very good for the money a few years ago. Now they've sometimes tripled on the second hand market and that's at the top of what they were ever worth, quality wise.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Machines said:

Impossible to tell which ones he meant. but there is:

SUB USA: Mid 2000s, textured finish and metal pickguard, painted necks, go for £500-£700

Sterling SUB / Ray: Far east made, thinner nut profile and 'large' bridge. Sounds close enough but they do feel a lot cheaper.

Sterling Ray 34: Far east made but higher quality, full copies of USA instruments

If you can get a USA SUB for a good price they are just as good as a 'proper' Stingray.

Yes! The USA SUB series, thank you.

Just be aware the USA SUB basses have no forearm or belly contouring, so if you like those ergonomic comforts, the SUB might not be for you. Like Bolo has pointed out, the asking price for them has sky-rocketed in the last year and often are not too far shy of a full-on US Stingray.

• Like 4

I really did like the sound from my two USA SUBs, as they had a 2 band EQ which gave a really good thump. 

I wasn't too keen on the painted necks which seemed a bit on the chunky side.

I have a 3 band EQ, 2014 USA Stingray now and the neck seems a bit less chunky but, to tell the truth, I think I preferred the sound of the 2 band EQ on the SUB.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Just be aware the USA SUB basses have no forearm or belly contouring, so if you like those ergonomic comforts, the SUB might not be for you. Like Bolo has pointed out, the asking price for them has sky-rocketed in the last year and often are not too far shy of a full-on US Stingray.

Thanks for pointing that out, my current bass doesn't have an contouring either and it's ok, but definitely good to know!

IIRC, the original SUB ‘Rays were wired in series, mine was certainly rather aggressive sounding. The paint on the neck wore down and became sticky, but I stripped it off and oiled it and it was much better. The slab body was surprisingly comfortable and although I found the bass bass to be quite weighty, it balanced beautifully on a strap and seemed lighter because of that.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My USA SUB was nigh on identical in sound and quality to my old USA Stingray. The only perceptible differences were, obviously, the finish, and the SUB was wired in series, so had a thicker, slightly ballsier tone.

Other than that, with the Slab body, it is for all intents and purposes, a Classic Stingray for a third of the price. Absolutely brilliant things.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Georgesimooon said:

Thanks for pointing that out, my current bass doesn't have an contouring either and it's ok, but definitely good to know!

I had one at the time and that's why I got rid of it, I play fingerstyle and the edge of the body dug painfully into my arm.

• Thanks 1

On 01/12/2022 at 12:38, Bolo said:

Absolutely not "as good". They were very good for the money a few years ago. Now they've sometimes tripled on the second hand market and that's at the top of what they were ever worth, quality wise.

Not as good in what sense?

Cosmetic, perhaps (taste being personal and all that).

Lack of body contour, I'd agree... I prefer the contour, but the lack of a contour was never an issue with my two 4-string and one 5-string SUBs.

The neck profile was identical to my 2002 Stingray for the 4-stringers, probably because teh SUBs were from the same era (2003-2006).

The sound... was just another Stingray in every way. But a lot cheaper.

• Like 2

On 01/12/2022 at 15:13, ezbass said:

IIRC, the original SUB ‘Rays were wired in series, mine was certainly rather aggressive sounding. The paint on the neck wore down and became sticky, but I stripped it off and oiled it and it was much better. The slab body was surprisingly comfortable and although I found the bass bass to be quite weighty, it balanced beautifully on a strap and seemed lighter because of that.

The very early ones were wired in series, which I think fits the 2EQ better, but from some point in 2004 onwards they were wired in parallel. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mcnach said:

The very early ones were wired in series, which I think fits the 2EQ better, but from some point in 2004 onwards they were wired in parallel. 

I bought my one very early on in their all too brief history. I eventually had it converted to fretless by The Gallery (cracking job they did too) before moving it on in favour of 5 strings. Of course, I’m Mr 4 Strings again now :facepalm:.

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

The very early ones can be identified by having dots in between the SUB on the headstock. Early = S.U.B Later = SUB

I think it was just the first year or so of production.

Mine was an early series wired one and it sounded better to my ears than any of the subsequent USA 'proper' Stingrays I had afterwards.

58 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I'm old enough to remember the old OLP Stingrays.  A mate had one; QC on delivery was horrific, but after a bit of jiggery-pokery it played really nicely.

Always fancied a ‘Barbie flesh’ Tony Levin signature.

Check out the review by Bass Lobster, who also did a fab upgrade ( which i will be copying) with EMG pickups and eq. 

i like mine alot, its fun to play , but its nowhere near a USA Stingray, its a completely different bass. For a start a 38mm neck width, which i prefer personally. The stock EQ is pretty rubbish, but you actually do get what you pay for, lol, and i bought mine as a mod platform. 

On 01/12/2022 at 17:56, MacDaddy said:

I had one at the time and that's why I got rid of it, I play fingerstyle and the edge of the body dug painfully into my arm.

If you ever have that problem again I can lend you a rasp.🤣🤣