Why become a member? ×

Bright, zingy string recommendations please

Mykesbass

I used Elixirs for years on all of my basses until I discovered the Markbass Longevo steels.  The coatings are incredibly thin and still super durable, without the gumminess and then shredding you get with Elixir, and they stay bright for easily as long as Elixir... they have a full tone across the fingerboard - no scoop in the mids....   If you can find them (Gary at Promenade Music will order you some, or Bass Direct), they're definitely with a go!

https://www.markbass.it/product/longevo-series-nano-film-shielded-strings-long-lived-stainless/

• Like 2

I bought a set of EBS Titanium strings that never seemed to lose their zing - I sold the bass before they "went off".

IIRC they were £20 off ebay. 

https://lordofthestrings.com/en/bass/electric/5-string/ebs-sweden-tn-cm5-northern-light-titanium-nickel-classic-medium.html

Edited by TheGreek

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve started using DR Hi Beams and I think I’ve found my favourite string. I love the tone, the growl and the feel of them. The tension seems spot on for me, not too firm but not sloppy either, they just seem really fun to play. 

No idea how long the brightness lasts but they’ve been brilliant so far. 

One trivial/purely cosmetic thing I also like about them is that they don’t have silk wraps, as I don’t like the way they fluff up and separate. 

• Like 3