Why become a member? ×

Top three attributes of a drummer - your opinion?

Mickeyboro

1. Timing - You need to lock in and be as tight as a midges derrière but still have the space for movement and expression.

2. Variety and Dynamics - You want a drummer who's going to add expression, personality and flourishes and not just play the same beat or groove for every song.

3. Musical Understanding - Despite all that is said and done, the drummer needs to serve the song first and foremost and not use it as his own platform to boost his ego. After all, that's what the guitarist is there for 😆

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

3. Already has his kit in place and is setting up his cymbals when you arrive at the venue.

The dream. 😃

I would expect a drummer to be able to play competently to the level of the band they are seeking to join, and by that I mean have a sense of timing and ability to play appropriately to the song. I would also expect decent kit and the means to get it reliably to the venue.  Edit: Those are givens.  

The attributes I would look for once the above has been established is the same as I would look for in any musician and which I try to show myself. In no particular order:

1. The ability to get on with the rest of the band. This includes being able to take and give constructive criticism and willingness to try things that they wouldn't necessarily play have done.

2. Self awareness - for example holding their hands up to a mistake without trying to shift the blame. Everyone makes mistakes and I wouldn't expect a perfect performance every time. The measure is not if you make a mistake, but what you do to minimise the chance of it happening again. Also realising without being told that their superb fill is not appropriate.

3. Commitment. 

Edited by Franticsmurf

2 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

1. Understands the difference between ‘dynamics’ and ‘loud as possible ‘.

2. Keeps steady time.

3. Already has his kit in place and is setting up his cymbals when you arrive at the venue.

Also:

4. Doesn't lean a fully-loaded cymbal bag against the grille cloth of your speaker cab.

Not dreaming to become one of the greatest drummers on earth.

To learn from his own mistakes.

Keep the right tempo, groove and control playing agressivity.

(BONUS) Have a personal car for the his drum complect.

Edited by nilorius

1 hour ago, EssentialTension said:

1 ... 1 x kick drum, 1 x snare, 1 x rack tom, 1 x floor tom, 1 x hi-hat, 1 x crash, 1 x ride, stool, sticks, brushes - that's plenty.

2 ... 2 x metronomes, 1 x digital, 1 x personal.

3 ... a sense of musicality.

I'd send away any drummer who turned up with brushes and only one rack tom.  A double kick pedal and the ability to use it would be ideal as well 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Availability.

Timing.

Dynamics.

If he's not there he can't test the maxim "it takes a very good drummer to be better than no drummer".

If he hasn't got the right groove that can be sorted out, but I have never been able to sort out a lack of timing or volume sensitivity.

Or she…