Why become a member? ×

Stock bridge vs Fender HiMass IV Bridge Brass - SOUND COMPARISON

Bart Funk Bass

I preferred the stock bridge actually. It sounded brighter and the hi-mass was softer at the top end. Would anyone notice in a mix?

I tried a similar thing a while ago and didn’t really notice any difference, although this was on on a low-end squier precision, so not really working from the best sonic starting point. However, it did convince me enough to not worry about having a BBOT. 

Edited by Velarian
Typo correction

Stockbridge? Eye-wateringly expensive and packed with hipsters!

Anyway.

Years ago someone on here did the same A/B with a BA2 (which the hi-mass is a clone of) and a standard BBOT. The consensus was that the standard bridge sounded better - and listening to this I think that bears it out. Noticeably much more top-end and definition with the BBOT, slap sounds tighter & more focused, and despite all the claims made about cast bridges the sustained notes, while not necessarily longer on the standard bridge, certainly sound fuller & seem not to fade so quickly. I suspect comparing the waveforms would bear that out.

In fairness though, not different enough that you'd notice in a mix, and nothing you couldn't fix with EQ if you cared enough.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I'm fan of the Fender Hi Mass.

Not because of any sonic differences though.

It's just a really solid unit that locks the saddles in place to prevent the lateral movement you can get on some BBOTs (my Sire 1st gen V7 springs to mind) when you really dig in.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 3

They're coming out as almost different basses on my laptop. Especially with the plucking. Really surprised!  Hi mass seems great for depth and the stock bridge comes out brighter. Not so much difference on the slap lines BUT I tried my Ultra for sustain along with the tape. I didn't pluck hard but the note ran WAY longer that on the tape with much less fade. Probably just a thumbs up for the pickups. Thanks for posting.

The low mass sounds more animated and livelier, in comparison the hi mass sounds dull. Playing with other instruments, the low mass would have more presence IMO, but then I've always liked low mass bridges.

I've always bought livelier, brighter sounding basses, you can tone them down.  If a bass is inherently dull, you're kind of stuck with it.

I’ve had mixed results with high mass bridges in the past (BAII and Fender) and generally prefer a BBOT. I feel like I get more physical response from the strings and a brighter sound - all subjective, but all aligned with my personal preference. One exception is the Fender HiMass on my Mike Dirnt signature which doesn’t have the same “dullness”. 

• Like 1

High mass sounds almost like the tone has been rolled of a little... Standard sounds more articulate.

A standard type bridge with groves for the saddle adjust screws to stop the saddle moving then sounds ideal...

My bitsa has one of these for £7.50.

bit of a 'Half-Way House'...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Set-Bridge-Fit-for-Fender-Precision-Jazz-Bass-Guitar-201B-4-Badass-Useful-Atn-/373561442545?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Edited by PaulThePlug

The BBOT has definitely got its own sound, and it's a very good sound It's more "open" in the treble and upper midrange. Hi mass bridges tend to sound a bit more compact to me. As others have mentioned though, the advantages of other designs is as much that they are more stable and more practical than the BBOT. 

Hi mass also bridges give noticeably more clarity and sustain higher up the neck, in my experience.

I replaced the BBOT on my BB414 with a Fender Hi-Mass (a great little chunk of engineering for the money), I knowwwww, it says 'Fender' on a Yamaha, I'm a monster, etc...

Bottom line is I'm a (mostly) pick player, and it's a comfier place to rest the heel of your hand...and it's a solid bridge. The sound? I don't sniff corks too enthusiastically, I don't slap much, or use all that much zing, and once the drummer starts it's all kinda moot...

I easily prefer the stock bridge. To my ears the high mass takes away the bright attack of a jazz bass. More compessed. So for it looses that attack that a jazz bass is known for. Like alot of bass gimmicks in the basd world lime string through bodies et etc. BUT im not going to knock em because it certainly works for some cats.

On 22/10/2022 at 23:41, PaulThePlug said:

It should sound like stock, but with saddles stability! I may try it!

10 hours ago, Bart Funk Bass said:

It should sound like stock, but with saddles stability! I may try it!

I had the Gotoh version - it felt pretty good! Quite a bit heavier and more solid than the stock one though.

Anybody going to admit to having gone titanium?!

https://k-t-s.com/collections/bass-saddle-bridge-set

• Like 1

On 23/10/2022 at 10:41, Muzz said:

I replaced the BBOT on my BB414 with a Fender Hi-Mass (a great little chunk of engineering for the money), I knowwwww, it says 'Fender' on a Yamaha, I'm a monster, etc...

I did this on a 415 - definite improvement in clarity of notes. 

Really interesting video - quite different - I agree with the comments above that the stock bridge sounds brighter and clearer.

I'm not sure I agree about EQ fixing things easily. Getting that clarity and definition is much easier if the core sound is already there. EQ can introduce a bunch of artifacts, and of course, can't add something that just isn't there.

On 24/10/2022 at 21:58, Bart Funk Bass said:

I was looking at the bass bridges at Thomann and I am wondering how's string stability with a Fender Vintage Bridge like this:

11472906_800.jpg

https://www.thomann.de/pl/fender_vintage_bass_bridge.htm

Do strings move or pop out of grooves when hard slapping?

No idea but I love the look of those threaded saddles

J Bass is not really my idea of a bass, and certainly even less is your tone, too burpy and thin sounding to my liking, but looking beyond that fact the stock bridge to me does sound better.

More top end definition and better overall articulation, the high mass bridge sounds dull and inarticulate in comparison, almost like dead strings.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...