Why become a member? ×

Worst cover version (by competent musicians)

Nail Soup

On 05/10/2022 at 10:09, Reggaebass said:

I wondered how long it would be before UB40 got mentioned 🙄, some of their covers were better than the originals imo 

Agreed. At the risk of a right royal roasting, I’d say all their covers were better than the Clash’s awful version of “Police and Thieves”… 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Johncee said:

Clash’s awful version of “Police and Thieves

It’s not really my thing either , but slightly off topic, I did read that when Bob Marley heard that song he liked it and wrote  Punky Reggae Party, so something good came out of it 🙂

• Like 1

On 05/10/2022 at 21:18, Newfoundfreedom said:

Yeah I'm aware he's supposed to be some legendary guitarist. But everything I've seen him do with Toya over the past couple of years is utter garbage. I've seen better playing by teens in their bedrooms. 

Don't be silly. Fripp is a fantastic musician. The videos are just light-hearted fooling around.

On 07/10/2022 at 20:36, bassbiscuits said:

Van Halen’s take on Dancing In The Street is codswallop. 

Yep, that truly is atrocious but the remarkable thing is they managed to record three utterly c@ck covers on one album, the other two disasters being  Pretty Woman and Where Have All The Good Times Gone?

• Haha 1

On 08/10/2022 at 19:51, lowdown said:

Bowie and Jagger's official version of 'Dancing in the Street' is terrible. The A cappella version pi*ses all over it...

I think that it is great. Two superstars taking the fosters out of themselves and raising money (all profits) for charity (though I can't find anywhere how much it actually made). It was no 1 in the UK for 4 weeks,  8th in the US, and several other places for weeks in 1985. And that is when , when the charts actually meant something. Both the recording and the video were completed in one 13 hour session.

Hats off the them both.

Edited by Count Bassy
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

I think that it is great. Two superstars taking the fosters out of themselves and raising money (all profits) for charity (though I can't find anywhere how much it actually made). It was no 1 in the UK for 4 weeks,  8th in the US, and several other places for weeks in 1985. And that is when , when the charts actually meant something. Both the recording and the video were completed in one 13 hour session.

Hats off the them both.

Indeed:

"By Strack Azar and Michael Stevantoni. Voices by Oliver Zaciu and Michael Stevantoni. Bowie-scream by Keon Ali".

:D

Angry Dave's mis-hearing of "another council tenancy" always makes me smile. And I do appreciate an album having one track I don't mind being drowned out by the kettle boiling. Mr Rotten was quite rude about that version, but either time or royalty cheques seemed to soften his thoughts. Also, No Anarchy In The UK cover, no Holy Wars, I guess, so.

On 08/10/2022 at 15:12, Doctor J said:

He put out an album called Gravelands about 20 years ago. It's actually very listenable.

The version of Song to the Siren on that LP is remarkable.

Back on topic, the Fall's cover of I'm Going To Spain is horrific but the original is hardly a classic itself.