Why become a member? ×

They will rip you of

Ralf1e

48 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

ickea is the proper Swedish way of saying it.

Funny how for some words we use local attempts and for others the original.

We don't say "Pari" for Paris. But we do say "Ypres" properly - rather than the American way of saying it as "wipers"

I used to have a German colleague, the first time I told him I was going shopping at Lidl (which I pronounced 'Liddle') he said "what's that?". I explained and he said "ah, you mean Leedle".

IIRC 'wipers' was what the Tommies called Ypres in WW1.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

I used to have a German colleague, the first time I told him I was going shopping at Lidl (which I pronounced 'Liddle') he said "what's that?". I explained and he said "ah, you mean Leedle".

IIRC 'wipers' was what the Tommies called Ypres in WW1.

Yeah - but we improved ourselves. The Colonials kept with it.

And don't get me started on crossaaaiiiiiinte either.

1 minute ago, SpondonBassed said:

Who's ripping who a new one?

We are having a nice restrained conversation about the Terminator franchise, self-repairing American trucks, enigmatic band names, the early works of Kraftwerk, American avant-garde collective The Residents, cheesecake, Wantage, your first pint, the Istanbul / Constantinople dichotomy, pronunciation, bacon cookery and WW1.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

We are having a nice restrained conversation about the Terminator franchise, self-repairing American trucks, enigmatic band names, the early works of Kraftwerk, American avant-garde collective The Residents, cheesecake, Wantage, your first pint, the Istanbul / Constantinople dichotomy, pronunciation, bacon cookery and WW1.

As long as we don't stray off topic it'll all be fine. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Let's not forget aluminium too. The chaps out in the colonies can't pronounce that without sounding like they've had a stroke. 

Rip that off, Daddy O. 

The one that really gets me is how Americans pronounce Herbs as Erbs, when it clearly has an H. 

3 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Let's not forget aluminium too. The chaps out in the colonies can't pronounce that without sounding like they've had a stroke. 

Rip that off, Daddy O. 

I forgive that one - they spell it differently and the say it how they write it.

I did see someone on the telly say "Wives Sainttttt Laurentttttt" and didn't get it for a moment.

Death is too good for them!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

As long as we don't stray off topic it'll all be fine. 

Don't worry. If it strays off topic I will lock the thread quicker than you can say "the Terminator franchise, self-repairing American trucks, enigmatic band names, the early works of Kraftwerk, American avant-garde collective The Residents, cheesecake, Wantage, your first pint, the Istanbul / Constantinople dichotomy, pronunciation, bacon cookery, WW1, alooominum and Swedish flatpack furniture".

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Don't worry. If it strays off topic I will lock the thread quicker than you can say "the Terminator franchise, self-repairing American trucks, enigmatic band names, the early works of Kraftwerk, American avant-garde collective The Residents, cheesecake, Wantage, your first pint, the Istanbul / Constantinople dichotomy, pronunciation, bacon cookery, WW1, alooominum and Swedish flatpack furniture".

That's easy for you to say. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Rich said:

Wasn't that Follow The Ostrich's second album?

An easy mistake to make. The second album from Follow The Ostrich, An Unexpected Surfeit of Homosexuals is often mistaken for A Glut of Woofs, the ninth album from Swedish Death Metal Trio, Alooominum.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

The one that really gets me is how Americans pronounce Herbs as Erbs, when it clearly has an H. 

I find soldering annoying. Not the deed, but the Merkin way of pronouncing it as "soddering", which sounds more like a practice <stops before saying anything that might be construed as homophobic>

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

9 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I find soldering annoying. Not the deed, but the Merkin way of pronouncing it as "soddering", which sounds more like a practice <stops before saying anything that might be construed as homophobic>

Why are they so inconsistent with the H & L phobia? If they're going to have erbs and soddering, they should have Nasvie, A$s Vegas and Phiadepia too.