Why become a member? ×

Help - Missing Travis Bean TB2000 - #391

nationofzeros

What a great story.   I can see this as the launch of a new hit TV series: "BCIS" (Bass Criminal Investigative Service):ph34r: .

Huge kudos to Fluid Druid and his shop - as a fellow Bean owner I really felt for the OP.   A particularly nice TB2000 too, some lovely flame in that koa :x

The only sensible thing the 'thieves' can do now is to leave the yellow-lined case leaning against the shop door before scarpering quickly. It's pretty much useless to anyone without that particular bass. A pipe-dream, surely, but it would really put a cheery on this cake. It would then become an 'open'n'shut' case, no..? :friends:

10 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

The only sensible thing the 'thieves' can do now is to leave the yellow-lined case leaning against the shop door before scarpering quickly. It's pretty much useless to anyone without that particular bass. A pipe-dream, surely, but it would really put a cheery on this cake. It would then become an 'open'n'shut' case, no..? :friends:

If it could be united with the Bass, in this particular case, it would be worth a Bean...yes?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fluid Druid said:

Yep! I’m a local musician too so I’d want someone to do the same for me if it happened. It was too niche of a bass for me not to question it and look into it. If I wasn’t there that day I don’t think the bass would have stood a chance. 

Nice one mate 👍

• Thanks 1

I was a  friend of Chris who bought the lost TB. Unfortunately he fell ill a few months back and passed away. It was a big shock. I too am a bass player and remember talking Travis Beans with him and he eventually pulled the trigger. Chris had a small collection of around six rotating basses and bought and sold them for the experience of playing them more than anything else. Maybe some restoration work. His wife contacted me today with the news it had been found. Hopefully it can be sorted out in the near future. That could be another mission though. Who knows? 

Many thanks to Fluid druid who got in touch. 

Cheers. 

• Sad 24

58 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I was a  friend of Chris who bought the lost TB. Unfortunately he fell ill a few months back and passed away. It was a big shock. I too am a bass player and remember talking Travis Beans with him and he eventually pulled the trigger. Chris had a small collection of around six rotating basses and bought and sold them for the experience of playing them more than anything else. Maybe some restoration work. His wife contacted me today with the news it had been found. Hopefully it can be sorted out in the near future. That could be another mission though. Who knows? 

Cheers. 

If it ownership can be proven, it might be best to sell it through the pawn shop, on Reverb or have it sent somewhere to sell on consignment.  Beans are fetching respectable money these days. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

If it ownership can be proven, it might be best to sell it through the pawn shop, on Reverb or have it sent somewhere to sell on consignment.  Beans are fetching respectable money these days. 

Probably the best thing. I hope Chris' widow and @Fluid Druidcome to an amicable agreement over proceedings.

How terribly sad.

3 hours ago, Nick H. said:

Cheers. 

Damn I was hoping for a happier ending. If his wife can reach out to us and if she wants it we can figure out how to release it over to her. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, blisters on my fingers said:

I imagine that the kindness shown by Fluid Druid will remembered by Chris' widow.

Such a sad story.

We have good communication going on with Fluid druid. His good work and his reaching out is much appreciated. His wife had no idea about this bass ..There is a way to go yet before this is resolved. Positive or negative outcome. It is a sad story for sure and this issue was bothering Chris I know. Its not a great feeling when something like this just disappears into thin air. Lets hope there is a happy ending. 

Edited by Nick H.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

V, the wife of @nationofzeros PM'd me yesterday. 

"Dear Kiwi

I am V, the wife/widow of the owner of the missing TB.  I am incredibly grateful for the resource which is Basschat, and your attempts to get hold of Chris which has meant I have been reunited with his misssing TB - even if only virtually.  

He died on the 23rd August 2022.  The hospital  put him in a side room on the 10th August which had pseudomonas aureginosa in the shower water, which the hospital knew about.  As he was totally immunocompromised following 5 days of the most aggressive of chemos - he caught the bacteria and died of pneumonia,  sepsis 10 days after admission to hospital. He was totally fit and well upon admission, with no symptoms.

The guy that sold Chris the bass, Henry Betz Brown, Bonfires Vintage has offered to refund me the money that Chris paid for the bass - ironically virtually a year ago.

Life is strange.  I have borrowed money from my mother to pay for Chris's funeral - the refund on the bass almost exactly covers these costs.

Kiwi, I would be grateful if you could let those member that commented on his story know that I am so grateful for their support and action.

With very best wishes

V"

Props to Henry at Bonfires Vintage of Portland, Oregon.  He probably deserves a big thank you for being a beacon of honesty and integrity in these increasingly crazy times.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1