Why become a member? ×

What do you eat?

Happy Jack

What do you eat on the drive home from a gig?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. What do you eat on the drive home from a gig?

• Nothing
    • Chips
    • Burger / Kebab / similar
    • Cake / Biscuits / similar
    • Chocolate / Sweets
    • Lobster Thermidor aux Crevettes avec Aubergines in a white wine sauce and garnished with Shallots

I used to have a bad habit of eating unnecessary food when I got home and staying up late playing computer games.

Nowadays I’d rather have a quick cup of tea and head to bed. The thought of eating dubious scran in a motorway services does not appeal, although if it’s a really long drive (say 3 hours) I plan a toilet and coffee stop along the way.

I eat as little as possible prior to a gig, following an incident at an all you can eat Mexican restaurant, some time in the early nineties. My bandmates availed themselves of the tasty treats on offer with great gusto, meaning that they were all bloated, tired and borderline nauseous  for the show. The van ride home was no picnic, either... Post gig curries were responsible for there being a bit more Rushbo than I'd have liked, and having lost a chunk of weight, I'm now a bit more conscious about what I eat, especially late at night  My post gig "feast" might be a bowl of cereal or, if I'm feeling saucy, cheese on toast. All accompanied by a mug of tea and some terrible TV. 

Edited by rushbo

I normally end up at the bar doing shots with our drummer after gigs. Much to the annoyance of our singer( he drives the van and moans that he’s always waiting on us two) so there’s no chance of a food stop on the way home. Whatever is in the fridge when I get home will suffice! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ambient said:

Which is I’m guessing more than a pair of black jeans and a shirt of some description?

Yes, but nothing massively radical........ baseball boots, black canvas trousers, bright pink/cerise shirt, silver tie, leopard-print 'suit' jacket. But it's enough to get a few comments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, police squad said:

there was always good snacks afterwards back at the hotel. Cold meats like salami, olives, pork pie, crisps and red wine

Was that as an accompaniment to the Lobster Thermidor aux Crevettes avec Aubergines in a white wine sauce and garnished with Shallots, or as an amuse-guele beforehand?

Don't eat at all as I don't get hungry, likely due to adrenalin, before and immediately after. So for me it's a hearty bowl of Weetabix when I get home! Or Ready Brek (I know! I know! It DOES taste different though) if I can be arsed to make it in the microwave.

I generally eat a lightish meal a few hours before the gig, which plays havoc with my system as my normal evening meal would be at around 8.30pm.  If I'm driving I might have one beer at the gig.  When I get home I'll have another beer or two and a bag of crisps, or if I'm really hungry a marmite sandwiich.

17 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

The drummer spontaneously combusted?

Almost the opposite - he ate so many burritos he could barely move. He practically had to be put in a wheelbarrow at the end of the meal. 

On 25/03/2022 at 19:41, ambient said:

Who said rock n roll was dead?

If I was properly "rock 'n' roll" I'd be too busy snorting drugs off naked groupies in the back of the band van to be bothered about trivia like food. Got to keep that elegantly wasted appearance somehow!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, BigRedX said:

If I was properly "rock 'n' roll" I'd be too busy snorting drugs off naked groupies in the back of the band van to be bothered about trivia like food. Got to keep that elegantly wasted appearance somehow!

Nothing more Rock and Roll than getting the munchies at 3 am, surely?

• 1 year later...

Even as someone who hasn't consumed an animal product for years, I find myself genuinely impressed that 10% of you claim to have Lobster Thermidor aux Crevettes avec Aubergines in a white wine sauce and garnished with Shallots. If it's true, can I just say not all heroes wear capes! 

I chose "nothing" because I / we don't usually stop on our way home from gigs.
However, I usually find I can't sleep as soon as I get home, no matter how late it is
.... my post-gig "refreshment" is usually a little whisky (or two), when I get home.

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

On 26/03/2022 at 09:29, police squad said:

I can't eat very much before a gig because I sing. It really affects my breathing, so a small bite to eat about 6pm.

I'll finish my dinner when I get home, usually it's a chilli.

When I was doing gigs away from home (with the Police tribute) it was quite awkward. I often didnt eat at all before the gig but there was always good snacks afterwards back at the hotel. Cold meats like salami, olives, pork pie, crisps and red wine

Call me pernikity if you like but if I was hiring a Police tribute act I would stipulate in the contract that under no circumstances would Sting be allowed to eat pork pie. Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland can eat all the processed pork they like but Sting will stick to macrobiotic tofu and bulgar wheat. A yoga mat will also be provided.

• Haha 1

Years ago I’d love a bowl of cereal when I got back from playing a particular regular gig. I actually used to look forward to it during load outs and the drive home. But if it was a tour situation I’d make do with whatever was available and nearest - pizza, kebab, gyros, chip butties, burgers, even crepes or waffles, all the stuff I wouldn’t usually look at during the day, but after a sweaty club gig, phwoar!

I still reckon Greece was the best place I’ve found for post-gig scran though. And it helps that loads of places are still open at 3am, so yer post-gig eats is easy in a lot of places.