Why become a member? ×

Lightweight 5-string basses?

40hz

On 24/03/2022 at 20:06, Paul S said:

I had a few lightweight (8lbs or less) 5ers.  A Maroos-chick Jake 5, around 8lbs.  A Hohner B2V, around 8lbs (not less, surprisingly).  SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB 315 was around 7.5lbs I think.  The lightest was a Fender MB-5 which was around 7lbs.  Don't see them very often.

My old Maruszczyk Jake 5 has just come up for sale in the classifieds here.  £825 is a 'very' good price.

• Like 1

Thanks again for the further suggestions and offers (nothing taking my fancy though).

In theory a Steinberger would probably be the ticket. Especially as I'm a graphite hound, but I just can't get past the looks. 

I like basses with Stingray-esque tones, so a humbucker with active electronics is a preference.

On 24/03/2022 at 20:06, Paul S said:

I had a few lightweight (8lbs or less) 5ers.  A Maroos-chick Jake 5, around 8lbs.  A Hohner B2V, around 8lbs (not less, surprisingly).  SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB 315 was around 7.5lbs I think.  The lightest was a Fender MB-5 which was around 7lbs.  Don't see them very often.

SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB 315 is a great option for this requirement.

You could probably pick one up for about £250 too - an absolute steal.

Japan Sadowsky Basses are almost invariably light.  I have a RV5 that weighs in at 3.9Kg.

IMG_20220328_215210.jpeg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

And I’ve got the fretless version on sale here for £475. I’d do you a trade as well.

Thank you for the offer! Not my cup of tea visually I'm afraid (as much as I like Spector).

1 minute ago, bagsieblue said:

SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB 315 is a great option for this requirement.

You could probably pick one up for about £250 too - an absolute steal.

Japan Sadowsky Basses are almost invariably light.  I have a RV5 that weighs in at 3.9Kg.

IMG_20220328_215210.jpeg

I did think about the Nanyos. Crazy that they still go for so little! Good call!

I picked up an MTD Kingston on a whim on here a LONG time ago. I paid £180 for it. They hardly ever appear, they are very light, the neck is proper yummy and the control cavity is big enough to put whatever you want in there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Owen said:

I picked up an MTD Kingston on a whim on here a LONG time ago. I paid £180 for it. They hardly ever appear, they are very light, the neck is proper yummy and the control cavity is big enough to put whatever you want in there.

I'm really liking the KZ5 at Bass Direct. Weight looks to be 8lbs 7oz of the fretted one left in stock. One of the sold ones was even lighter than that. Great B-strings as well. 

Anyone remember (or have any experience with) these unusual Yamaha's?

BAS0003261-000_Grey_1280.jpg

I've often seen these (and the guitar version) nicknamed the iPOD bass :lol:

It's the RBX5A2, and supposedly ultralight because of the unusual body construction: they're a sandwich of two hardwood panels, connected with "sound tubes", with very light center material inbetween. I've always been intrigued by the concept, but I haven't a clue if they're any good! 

• Like 1

On 29/03/2022 at 11:45, LeftyJ said:

It's the RBX5A2, and supposedly ultralight because of the unusual body construction: they're a sandwich of two hardwood panels, connected with "sound tubes", with very light center material inbetween. I've always been intrigued by the concept, but I haven't a clue if they're any good! 

Odd pickup choice with the passive J's (as the battery just for the lights !) when nearly all RBXs are humbuckers, but i'd have one (white, not black). If I find one for a decent price (they were clearance at about £350) then i'll go for it. Caveat - I am an RBX fan anyway.

• Like 1

I rarely play a 5 string, but I like to keep one for noodling on.

My only 5'er is an Ibanez SR505. It's great, and lighter than many 4 strings, at 3.5kg. I chose it not just for its light weight - I like the neck width too. It's fairly narrow at the nut. It's fairly narrow at the bridge too, but not too narrow (I have played 5ers with string spacing that's too tight for my right hand fingers) plus, you can adjust the spacing too.

I'm not sure if production of these has now stopped? But they were well shy of your budget - I had previously seen them second-hand for around £250 - 280. They're really well made, with nice quality components too, punching above their price bracket IMHO.

• Thanks 1

On 29/03/2022 at 05:45, LeftyJ said:

I owned one in black and it was very light and balanced well. Sounded like a Jazz bass. I rarely used the battery as I found the lights rather hokey. I sold it because I could never get the truss rod to adjust properly. It was amazingly tight and no tech could get it to move. If you buy one test that first. Otherwise I found it a great sounding and comfortable bass. 

• Thanks 1

I currently have an Ibanez EHB1005 that is ridiculously light. Sounds not too bad and is a joy to play. However my favourite 5-string is my Roasted Pine American Professional II Jazz V. It has a sound I enjoy more. It is very light and balances well on a strap. As far as I’m concerned it was a great purchase. 

3B84057A-5A80-4A0C-AB90-B281DD0D3F41.thumb.jpeg.5b4de28571a297cb9e2780182c363b8f.jpeg

Edited by Moving Pictures
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Moving Pictures said:

I currently have an Ibanez EHB1005 that is ridiculously light. Sounds not too bad and is a joy to play. However my favourite 5-string is my Roasted Pine American Professional II Jazz V. It has a sound I enjoy more. It is very light and balances well on a strap. As far as I’m concerned it was a great purchase. 

3B84057A-5A80-4A0C-AB90-B281DD0D3F41.thumb.jpeg.5b4de28571a297cb9e2780182c363b8f.jpeg

That looks like a slightly fanned fret bass, or is it just the perspective when photographed at an angle?  I didn't think Fender did fanned fret stuff.

My Yamaha BB2025  weighs about 9 1/4 pounds and is a fantastic bass. Well worth investigating if you can find a used one. The X version is significantly heavier because of the additional scratchplate, metal knobs, control plate ect. That's why I got the non-X version. Very similar nut width to an EBMM Stingray V but wider 18mm spacing at the bridge. And the strings don't keep coming of the edge of the fingerboard!

Also, the USA-made Lakland basses tend to be lighter than the Skyline counterparts. I have seen plenty of 55-94 that were under 9 pounds in weight. A used one could come up at a reasonable price.

Otherwise, considering you like graphite, have you thought about a Status Stealth 5 string? All- graphite , lightweight and very comfortable to play.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

On 25/03/2022 at 16:44, NicoMcJ said:

Obviously I haven’t done a 3 hour gig with it yet but my first impression is that it’s the most comfortable instrument I’ve ever played.

Not just the weight, but the balance is incredible.

E1257184-747E-42B8-BDF9-34103244E66A.jpeg

When I played Ibanez basses back in the 1980s that is what I would have imagined Ibanez basses to have looked like in the year 2022 if I'd had a sufficiently visionary imagination !

The future has arrived.

• Like 2