Why become a member? ×

Underrated Bits Of Gear...

binky_bass

Has anyone got any gear (be it cabs, amps, basses, pedal etc.) that they absolutely love but that either don't get the rep they deserve or are just plain overlooked? 

I had a Markbass Multiamp a few years ago and loved it, I sold it to buy a Mesa Strategy rig (and loved that too!) and have now ended up back with a Multiamp, and having used MANY of arguably the best amps on the market over years, I'm VERY happy to be back with the Multiamp. Its super light, the midi pedal is very compact while being exceptionally useful, it has excellent tonal capabilities, tons of effects, nothing more you could want. 

But... they are somehow ignored and quite hard to sell and often change hands for circa £500. I guess they just aren't understood... but they are superb.

Anyone else got any bits of gear that they feel are super underrated?

The Guild Starfire I Bass. Granted they're relatively new but there seems to have been very little fanfare about them compared to other basses that have been launched recently. They certainly seem to have missed the short-scale band wagon that's been gathering momentum steadily over the last year or so.  

For under £500 they really are excellent instruments and built to a high standard. 

8F4A33CE-C6FF-43B3-8FE6-94C1CF62D87F.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 9

Just now, SteveXFR said:

Origin Effects Cali76 compressor. A subtle effect but makes a huge difference overall. You don't really notice it there but definitely notice when it's not there

I don’t think I’d call it underrated though

• Like 4

Behringer BDI21 is an amazingly good bit of kit for the money.

I also think that Ashdowns ABM600 should be raved about a bit more than it is. Sure it doesn’t compete with Class D weight & portability but it’s hardly heavyweight and the difference in its sound to Class D amps is easy to tell. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Behringer BDI21 is an amazingly good bit of kit for the money.

Behringer are a mixed bag for me... some of their gear is very much sub-par, even for the money - which is often much less than any competitor product. But sometimes, just sometimes they absolutely nail it and you can grab a seriously good bit of kit for pennies on the pound. Some of their mics fall into that category. 

Edited by binky_bass

A Yamaha SBV500 I bought out of curiosity many years back, a few years later I bought an SBV550 too.

Out of everything I've played, those have had the most comments on the sound of them strangely enough. At the time I paid about a third of what they sell for now.

An Ashdown Klystron Bass Magnifier ABM800 I bought in '97, number 35 off the line. I have worked that amp hard through a few different speaker combinations over the years and it has never failed. Had it serviced once.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

I've been put off Behringer by some of their business practices.  Buying the rights to old, well known brands and then selling their own kit under the name of classic products without making it clear its not the original. 

And yet you drive a Jaguar 😉

I'm only kidding, it's a beast of a car. 😎👍