Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

mattbass6

24 minutes ago, bassmayhem said:

I have only good experience with Bass Direct. Always top notch, always good service.

I hope that streak will continue for you!

Clearly not all transactions are bad, and I had a few that went just fine myself, but the one interaction has not been great... and after reading the comments here I'm definitely not coming for seconds. There is nothing they have that I cannot get elsewhere.

I've had a few issues with them. Mainly with stock levels on their website. It's 2022 - it shouldn't be this hard finding out if something is in stock before ordering. I don't mind waiting for some things, but it would be nice to know in advance. I've also had the wrong item sent out to me before. 

Plus, trying to get updates on when your item might come in is also tricky. I get that they don't know all of the time, but even a dispatch email would be useful. Just so you know it's on its way to you. 

Most recently, I ordered a new nut for my Dingwall. I ordered on 30th of June and it arrived today. Other than an initial email (that was in my spam folder) telling me it wasn't in stock and offering a refund or to wait, any update on when it might arrive was all on me. It isn't their fault if a shipment takes longer, but c'mon. A little goes a long way with customer service and reputation. 

They can be a funny bunch, that’s for sure.

I’ve bought loads of stuff from them over the last few years. Majority of the transactions have been fine with no issues; there was the odd occasion though where I ordered something listed as in stock when it wasn’t and I had to wait a number of weeks for it to arrive (a common issue by the sounds of it).

I also think there can be a bit of snobbery from them from time to time - I’ve found if you go there knowing what you’re looking for, can ‘talk the talk’ and share Mark’s views of the world they can be very hospitable. If you’re more of a browser and don’t take kindly to their way of doing things then it gets more tricky. I tend to bite my tongue if I get the odd blunt email from them as they sell stuff I’d struggle to get anywhere else, but can understand why others wouldn’t put up with it! 

• Like 2

I bought a s/h Sandberg lefty 48 from them last year. It arrived with a broken tuner. Contacted them and was told they would sort it. Took six weeks to get a replacement part, which was right handed..... Managed to butcher the broken part and the incorrect replacement into a working part. .....

• Like 1

I've usually had good experiences online and in-shop other than once when I'd made a long journey to try a specific Bass that I then found to be making odd electrical noises, I said perhaps it has a low battery, "yeah, could be" was the answer as they walked off and never tried to solve it or follow-up, so that lost them a potential sale as I talked myself out of bothering to solve it or spend £ there on alternatives that day.

On the plus side, they have a good amount of Basses and let you get on trying them hassle free, and they have given me much better part-exchange rates than anywhere else a couple of times so I will be going back again. 

Edited by SumOne

14 hours ago, Machines said:

3 miles. I'd definitely recommend trying to arrange a visit to both, but BB for me is more of a 'what do you specifically want to try out ?' type of place more than a browse to pass the time.

I am moderately acquainted with both shops* and know the owners, they are very different business models and both seem to work for them regardless of any customer reported issues. 

*Disclaimer, I worked on the BassDirect stand at Manchester 2008 and Liverpool 2022 shows.

Do you want to point the Bass Direct owner towards this thread?

17 hours ago, obbm said:

I ordered some Hipshot Tuners from them on Monday but have received no order acknowledgement, just the  Paypal receipt.  It'll be interesting to see just how long they take to arrive, if at all.

Over the years I've only had one minor problem when they sent the wrong strings.  I complained and they said send them back (at my expense) and we'll send the correct ones.  I decided to keep them and eventually ordered again.

Tuners arrived this morning.  All good.

• Like 1

Generally very good service to me. 

The correspondence I receive (on the phone and email) is very short and to the point as opposed to the gushing, flowing,  'I am your friend' type of correspondence a lot of businesses try to deliver to customers these days. It doesn't bother me but I totally understand why some would find the whole  process a bit 'unfriendly' compared to some of the competition. However I generally get a reply to an email query within 24 hours. 

They also deliver to the Scottish Highlands and Islands without making an issue or kicking up a fuss, which is entirely welcome as some businesses frankly don't. 

Ordering something that is detailed as in-stock and is then suddenly out of stock though is infuriating though. I had that issue with the old Bass Centre before it stopped stocking decent gear. I waited on a Mesa Walkabout combo for 4 1/2 months despite it being 'in stock' when I ordered it. The only benefit is that I received the newer blackface model rather than the old silverface model I originally ordered, and I paid the 'old' price rather than the updated price of the blackface so the delay technically worked out in my favour. 

Again, I will continue to use Bass Direct. Mainly because the second-hand section is brilliant and they deliver (as opposed to 'collection only' private sales which are not possible in my location).

• Like 2

Never heard of BD. The thing is guitar shops have historically had to put up with in the main, young ego drenched awkward musos trying to be all cool and surly...see it all the time so no wonder they have a bit of an attitude. It's all par for the course of the music biz thing and always will be. I personaly don't know how anyone works in a guitar store....wld drive me nuts. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I was going to say I'd rather not have mine merged with the other...

ah well 

Makes for quite an interesting flow of opinion now - from positive on the opening pages to very much the opposite by where we are at now.

I'm sure Mark knows what he is doing... maybe. I'm staying out of it. 

I've had two dealings with BD, both admittedly a number of years ago now. The first was when I bought the rackmount kit for my Shuttle, the second was when I dropped off some of OldGit's basses for a commission sale.

Dealing 1 was all via phone and couldn't have gone better. Friendly, quick, perfect.

Dealing 2, a few years later, not so much... it went a bit like this (all statements are paraphrased but this is the general gist):

Me, arriving and walking in: *thinks* Wow, look at all this stuff... I have got to have a browse when this is sorted.

I approaching what I presumed to be the owner (might not have been, IDK), he's pottering about but doesn't appear to be massively busy. I am the only punter in the place.

Me: Hi, I've got those basses of Simon's, that his wife arranged to drop off with you?

Him: Yeah, whatever. *continues pottering*

Me, a bit taken aback: Oookay... shall I bring them in?

I bring them in, unassisted.

Me: So... do you want to check them out or, y'know, anything?

Him: S'pose. *starts unzipping gigbags*

Me, trying to make conversation: *points at Simon's Steinberger XL* Have you ever played one of these? I had a go, god it was so uncomforta...

Him: Yeah, whatever. *continues unpacking*

Me: Right... well... I'll leave you to it and you'll talk to Ros, yes?

Him: Yeah, whatever. *resumes pottering*

Me, walking out through door: You're welcome. *mentally flips massive bird in his direction*

I never did have that browse, and never will. It's too long a drive to take when there's every chance that I will be treated as an inconvenience when I get there. I never had a problem with making the equally long trek to the Bass Centre at Wapping, because I knew that there would be friendliness and free coffee and "is there anything you'd like to try?" waiting for me there.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, Rich said:

Me, arriving and walking in: *thinks* Wow, look at all this stuff... I have got to have a browse when this is sorted.

I approaching what I presumed to be the owner (might not have been, IDK), he's pottering about but doesn't appear to be massively busy. I am the only punter in the place.

Me: Hi, I've got those basses of Simon's, that his wife arranged to drop off with you?

Me, a bit taken aback: Oookay... shall I bring them in?

I bring them in, unassisted.

Me: So... do you want to check them out or, y'know, anything?

Him: S'pose. *starts unzipping gigbags*

Me, trying to make conversation: *points at Simon's Steinberger XL* Have you ever played one of these? I had a go, god it was so uncomforta...

Him: Yeah, whatever. *continues unpacking*

Me: Right... well... I'll leave you to it and you'll talk to Ros, yes?

Him: Yeah, whatever. *resumes pottering*

Me, walking out through door: You're welcome. *mentally flips massive bird in his direction*

Didn't know Liam Lynch worked there! 🙂 

• Haha 5