Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

mattbass6

I finally worked out a plausible explanation of the nonsense of 8lb 3oz / 3.9kg — it's just a typo, and should be 8lb 13oz.

8lb 13 oz = 3.997kg .... which, if one is utterly innumerate, can be rounded down to 3.9kg

Is this what's going to happen to me? Buy a lightweight bass and receive one that isn't? Who knows 🤷

But the part-exchange experience really was very pleasant. Very fair, and no messing.

22 hours ago, binky_bass said:

They give that same impression in person too...

I had the unfortunate need to visit the store a few weeks back and had to deal with an exceptionally rude member of staff, massively patronising from the get go, made a clear point to make the occasion as awkward and difficult as possible, shouted across the store for my bank details while other customers were there. All the while another member of staff was attempting to find a specific bass for a customer that had bought it online, the staff member came downstairs about 5 times with several completely different basses to the one the guy had bought, each time the guy said 'no, that is again not the bass I've bought'. The staff member even came down with a left handed bass and tried to pass it off as the correct bass with the customer having to insist he is not left handed. It all just feels like unless your some quasi-famous customer or you're ready to drop 5k on a bass without asking any questions, you're just an inconvenience to them. Such a shame that they act this way, its a very poor reflection of the bass playing community.

That's almost like a bass store version of Fawlty Towers

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Some cracking weight conversion here!

Not a great conversion (why don't they put them in in kg and let the website convert them?) but I can confirm that is about the weight of the RSTs - had mine wieghed at the bass bash on Saturday, i think it was the lightest bass on the list

On 24/09/2022 at 13:48, spacecowboy said:

More experience was had at Bass Direct this week, short story, I'm after a 5 string bass with a budget around a grand, with the brief explained I got to play most of the 1K 5ers in the shop, was left to crack on and offered support and a chat when needed, both Mark and a member of staff were great with me. I Didn't end up taking anything from them for a few reasons but nothing bad, just nothing really grabbed me, the Cort NJS 5 was a really lovely bass but not for me. I was there an hour all in, all good.

I will say that they had some chinese made Sadowsky basses and my god they're terrible, fit, finish, feel all awful, plugged it in and it sounded like it was going to take off, noisiest pickups I've ever experienced, really not good. 

However I do have a gripe, on the website there is a Marcus Miller V7 5 String, which is why I popped over, I've owned one before and they're great and would suit what I need right now. I had noticed that the bass had Aguilar J pickups and a non stock preamp so I wanted to investigate. When I got to the shop they didn't know about the mods (Don't know how mind, they've now updated their ad) they agreed to open the bass up and see what preamp it had in it, turns out it was a Delano Sonar 2, and it was wired in to the aforementioned Aguilar pickups, it even had a Fender Hi Mass bridge - absolutely awesome, then... nightmare... and this is where I massively disagreed with their online description "A used bass in superb condition" the pickup routes to fit the aggies had been done with a spoon, and they're such a mess in person, there's even a wedge of foam blocking the hole left from the original longer bridge pickup, If I had bought this online I would have been bloody devastated and would be sending it back, again I have nothing against the guys, they've consistently been good with me, but this isn't a great example... could perhaps get value buying it and selling the bits or filling the body and re routing and spraying, but bloody hell. 

1000266867_Screenshot2022-09-24at13_43_59.thumb.png.01453c35050d19dadb8dbed5e61b98c7.png

🤢

I have had mixed experiences with them. Small accessory orders such as strings are generally as they should be, although I spoke to them about a set they had listed but there was no drop down to buy them! The link was never updated despite making them aware of the omission.

On the purchase of an ‘immaculate condition’ cab it arrived with a ripped cover. I queried this to be told ‘it’s pre-owned’.

People’s descriptions of what is superb / mint / immaculate clearly vary!!

• Sad 2

Absolute mint to me means as new out the box condition.

I'd be disappointed otherwise.

I have no issues buying a 2nd hand bass that the owner has highlighted any flaws with it. 

Saying something is absolute mint when it clearly isn't is surely against trade descriptions in some way i would have thought.

I bought a 2nd hand Jaydee fretless from them and the advert did highlight any dings etc on it. Cant remember the exact description on the headline to be honest.

Dave

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, benh said:

Ordered a Delano pickup through BD last month, told it'd take 3 weeks, was on my doorstep in 2. Happy with that. Super helpful and responsive to emails beforehand too.

That's been my experience with BD every time. Delivered in a few days. 👍

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Absolute mint to me means as new out the box condition.

I'd be disappointed otherwise.

I have no issues buying a 2nd hand bass that the owner has highlighted any flaws with it. 

Saying something is absolute mint when it clearly isn't is surely against trade descriptions in some way i would have thought.

I bought a 2nd hand Jaydee fretless from them and the advert did highlight any dings etc on it. Cant remember the exact description on the headline to be honest.

Dave

Agreed. 

Mint to youngsters means really good like innit. 

Mint in the real sense, and in describing items, should mean absolutely immaculate / as new. 

• Like 2

How about picking up the phone and speaking to them ? Always helpful . And its not beyond the wit of man to do the conversion yourself if you are that bothered . Just bought a bass from them and decided to go in person . Without going into details , there were problems with the bass that were nothing to do with the guys at BD . 12 hours from finding the problem to picking up new bass , strings , straploks etc . And they did a great deal for me . It's easy to criticise . They will have my business for a long while . The measure of any company is how they deal with it when things go wrong . Hats of to Mark and the chaps from a happy customer .

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Wally Gogg said:

The measure of any company is how they deal with it when things go wrong.

I do agree with this statement, and that is exactly why I have a very low opinion of BD. 

I'm glad you had a positive experience, but your experience is not my experience by a long long stretch. Write your positive review, this is a fair thread that needs both sides of an opinion, but don't write it in such a way that demeans those of us that haven't been as fortunate to experience what you have. Trust that we are not children and that our poor experience is valid as we trust that your positive experience is valid. 

• Like 14

33 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I do agree with this statement, and that is exactly why I have a very low opinion of BD. 

I'm glad you had a positive experience, but your experience is not my experience by a long long stretch. Write your positive review, this is a fair thread that needs both sides of an opinion, but don't write it in such a way that demeans those of us that haven't been as fortunate to experience what you have. Trust that we are not children and that our poor experience is valid as we trust that your positive experience is valid. 

I don't see anything demeaning towards the unfortunates who have had the poor experiences.

• Like 2