Jump to content
adamg67

Gail Ann Dorsey

Recommended Posts

I'm sure this has been posted before, but I hadn't seen it until today. I watch a fair bit of stuff on YouTube and it can get a bit full on, it's pretty rare I can sit and listen to someone talking for that long. Just seemed very genuine.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw her playing for Gwen stefani on the great escape tour, she was singing and playing bass whilst GS went off for a quick change 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

List of infractions Ms Dorsey incurred. 
- Serves the song? Pah!

- Plays the model of bass the BL wants and doesn’t jack the gig in? 

- Needs lines on a fretless?

- Learns the songs and Writes out charts in several keys “just in case”? 

- Works at getting as close a tone as the original bass recording?

- Isn’t quite sure how active basses work?

- Plays the clarinet?

- Doesn’t really do slap???!!!

Seryasslee who’d hire someone like that? Should’ve been me, I’d’ve shown Bowie/Kravitz my chops on whatever bass I want, so there nerr! 
 

Isn't she just fab 😠😤😡

yours,

bitter of Bath.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oldslapper said:

List of infractions Ms Dorsey incurred. 
- Serves the song? Pah!

- Plays the model of bass the BL wants and doesn’t jack the gig in? 

- Needs lines on a fretless?

- Learns the songs and Writes out charts in several keys “just in case”? 

- Works at getting as close a tone as the original bass recording?

- Isn’t quite sure how active basses work?

- Plays the clarinet?

- Doesn’t really do slap???!!!

Seryasslee who’d hire someone like that? Should’ve been me, I’d’ve shown Bowie/Kravitz my chops on whatever bass I want, so there nerr! 
 

Isn't she just fab 😠😤😡

yours,

bitter of Bath.

You missed out she often plays barefooted and has incredible legs!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One bit missing  - she plays guitar too .  Swapped over from Mark Plati who usually strums guitar,  and he's playing bass here.  Great tone too

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

she's definately very cool.

I heard a great Radio four interview with her  - she said that she loves guitar best and bass is her professional instrument.

And she said the same in the first minute of this interview.

Well, no-one's perfect!

 

Edited by Nail Soup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

she's definately very cool.

I heard a great Radio four interview with her  - she said that she loves guitar best and bass is her professional instrument.

And she said the same in the first minute of this interview.

Well, no-one's perfect!

 

The dream is over😧

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a lot in common.

We're the same age.

She shaves her head - me too (well over the lockdown I did).

She fell in love with Olivia Newton John when she was 14 - what an incredible coincidence, me too.

Her favourite band is the Carpenters - ummm.....not really.

I have a beard - okay, we're not that alike after all.

She's an incredible bass player - ☹️

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

She's a great all-round musician, singer and songwriter too.

Her debut album The Corporate World came out in 1988 and really should have been a hit.

The single:

 

Edited by pineweasel
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I loves her 💜

 

So do I. 
Great musician, seems like a nice person & cool as anything.

I have a sad and creepy crush on Ms Spalding too. 🤓

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flats and tone rolled off? That's just thump thump thump. She'll never get any gigs.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I loves her 💜

 

I had a wave of sadness wash over me watching that. 

I was thinking how great it is that Bowie steps back and completely let's GAD own that song, wondering how that feels performing it with someone else after having recorded and performed it with the great Freddie Mercury, who he obviously can't duet with anymore. Then I realised that Bowie is gone as well now. 

For some reason I can't get used to the fact that Bowie's gone. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes, Gail has been discussed many times here, I think that OP popped up in a thread about SBL most recently.

Anyhoo, I need no excuse to further discuss her work. IMHO, the version below is the de facto version of Under Pressure where she completely rips the song a new one.

Here’s a video of her song Magical which she wrote about Bowie. Just beautiful and has some great backstage clips.

.....and finally and predictably my Marilyn-a-like which I use in ChangesTwoBowie.

FEE18A02-7BA8-4F14-907A-57B2CBD6EB6B.thumb.jpeg.c4a7f77b8b95a4fc24585532099a6a78.jpeg

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yes, Gail has been discussed many times here, I think that OP popped up in a thread about SBL most recently.

Anyhoo, I need no excuse to further discuss her work. IMHO, the version below is the de facto version of Under Pressure where she completely rips the song a new one.

Here’s a video of her song Magical which she wrote about Bowie. Just beautiful and has some great backstage clips.

.....and finally and predictably my Marilyn-a-like which I use in ChangesTwoBowie.

 

Great to see and hear this - I didn't know anything about this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...