14 hours ago, meterman said:

Okay yeah, it was a different portastudio but the same kind of messing about. Very lo-fi. Not sure how to insert a video here but the link will work. 

Today I'm tidying up a bunch of originals, mostly acoustic and vocals but the little Tanglewood bass is on a lot of the tracks, it records really well. It's got LaBella flats on it and it's a joy to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGBJf3H730U

Love it!  What a great retro sound!  Bass sounds brilliant, as does everything else.  

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

Looks to be some kind of short scale bass in this video? Not sure what it is though.

Looks to be a Lull judging by the headstock.

• Like 2

On 11/09/2020 at 20:27, Pea Turgh said:

Awesome - reminds me of Money Mark - Marks Keyboard Repair.

One of my favourite albums, thank you 🙏  :)

On 12/09/2020 at 11:01, Paul S said:

Love it!  What a great retro sound!  Bass sounds brilliant, as does everything else.  

Thank you, you're very kind and I appreciate it 👍 I should stop faffing about and upload more to YT really.

Also I'll stop the thread derail now and get back to gawping at JMJ Mustangs which are turning into a minor obsession... 

• Like 1

Was in Merchant City Music earlier and tried out a few Reverends (They are all fantastic btw). The Sentinel is a great wee bass, the blade pickup is HOT and bright, but the 3 way switch, not 100% what the settings are but got a great variety of tones. If you're looking at Mustangs at around £800 and want something a bit different I would definitely recommend looking at the Sentinel as an option! 

• Like 2

On 14/09/2020 at 09:36, barrycreed said:

@meterman bass sounds great

Thank you 👍 the pickups in the little Tanglewood are actually pretty decent. 

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 11:25, soldersqueeze said:

My two Red Dwarfs :)

IMG20200628141021.thumb.jpg.a1a2162491ee734be489b552f96419e1.jpg

Modified Bronco and Jaguar, my two fave basses from which I shall never be separated!

Morning lads,

I have the same bass as soldersqueeze (Squier on the right) and was thinking of selling but having read this thread might just get new pickups instead! :) 

Can you give me some suggestions on a powerful p and j for the squier VM SS Jag?

Thanks

• Like 3

Anyone ever tried the Godin Dorchester short scale? A hollow or semi hollow I think.

I had an Aria Hi Flyer mosrite copy, that I stupidly sold, and the pickups were P90 style. Possibly big single coils, and sounded pretty good.

Dorchester looks to be a similar type guitar, just wondering if anyone ever got their hands on one? Pricey things though.

Despite being a short-scale-only player, I've only just found this topic.  Thanks to all those who've posted some very interesting pic's so far.  I'll add a few of my own when I get a minute.  THIS TRULY IS THE GOLDEN AGE OF SHORT-SCALE BASSES!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

I quite like the look of the Cort Action junior, anybody got one? Also, the Mensinger Cazpar? I need a good reason NOT to buy one!

The Cazpars are amazing!  I've had 3 and if money was no object would have kept them all.  Unfortunately, the basses I have at any given time are decided by the gigs I'm doing - or hoping to do at the moment!

Cazpar-4-Me.jpg

IMG-0059-thumb-jpg-df8b149491982ec831bfc

Cazpar-fretless-02.jpg

• Like 2

On 03/09/2020 at 08:26, Adee said:

Well here's my current stash of short scales from top to bottom ... all superb in different ways

Fender Justin Meldal-Johnsen Mustang -  superb straight forward solid rock bass, feels lived in   /  Warwick SS Corvette - useful 2 band active, punchy and articulate, skinny neck  /  Fender USA Performer Mustang - polite with a good range of tones, the J pup is very usable and adds a lot of definition, lovely to play ... I want to try a Stingray Shorty now!

IMG_0218.thumb.jpg.ab35a4f2a62dbcc8f9fc6595a369b7b5.jpg

Did you have any bridge problem with you jmj bass 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

The Cazpars are amazing!  I've had 3 and if money was no object would have kept them all.  Unfortunately, the basses I have at any given time are decided by the gigs I'm doing - or hoping to do at the moment!

Cazpar-4-Me.jpg

IMG-0059-thumb-jpg-df8b149491982ec831bfc

Cazpar-fretless-02.jpg

If the fretless was fretted I would have bought this off you! I love an ebony board. Which one do you still have?

On 21/09/2020 at 10:32, horrorshowbass said:

Morning lads,

I have the same bass as soldersqueeze (Squier on the right) and was thinking of selling but having read this thread might just get new pickups instead! :) 

Can you give me some suggestions on a powerful p and j for the squier VM SS Jag?

Thanks

I’m a bit late replying to this but I’ve only just seen it.

I’ve put EMG Geezers in my Squier SS Jag... amazing! I’m still trying to decide if I prefer it to my Norsdstrand- loaded Mustang... I’d play both at the same time if I could.

The Jag also has a neck to die for... 

17 hours ago, Fil1ip said:

Did you have any bridge problem with you jmj bass 

Funnily enough yes! One saddle was centred when they all should be left aligned, I contacted Fender UK and was resolved quickly as it a know issue now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adee said:

Funnily enough yes! One saddle was centred when they all should be left aligned, I contacted Fender UK and was resolved quickly as it a know issue now.

I nearly bought one second hand but the bridge holes were off (half moons showing through) and the G string looked out. Look ace though 🙂

I had to sit in a hospital carpark for a couple of hours today. Took my little J&D jazz, a headphone amp, and had a full practise in the car! Useful little chaps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/06/2020 at 17:48, ikay said:

Thanks and interesting, I've not come across this mod before.

Probably uses germanium diodes for their low Vf. Might be interesting to try Schottky diodes...

Chea

On 21/09/2020 at 10:32, horrorshowbass said:

Morning lads,

Thanks

Cheap and startlingly effective way to improve the sound from the Jag SS:

http://www.stubmandrel.co.uk/14-music/170-cure-the-squier-jaguar-short-scale-s-wimpy-j-pickup

Installed.JPG

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.