Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

1 hour ago, Piers_Williamson said:

What a great vid.  I think I have the 12" single of that somewhere.  It has always sounded like a synth bass to me though

It’s a great song and released in 1985  , Perhaps it was a synth or maybe an effect of some kind on the bass , I don’t really know, I just used my jazz with both pickups on full and cut the bass down a bit 

• 2 weeks later...

After relearning Merry Christmas Everybody, heard Cûm On Feel the Noize on the radio. Jim Lea's bass sound is wonderful and despite just being a fairly simple line his immaculate phrasing and feel just makes it roll along and feel really melodic. He really is oustanding.

Just one word of advice... take care typing "cûm on feel the" into Google...

Edited by Stub Mandrel

One I keep coming back to learning is this , I’ve played it many times but not exactly note for note , so I’ve been breaking it down properly, apart from Kingston Town it’s probably one of their best for me , sweet bassline 

Edited by Reggaebass

As a complete beginner I am starting off easy (LOLZ) and trying to learn “Look What Happened” by Less than Jake. Thankfully their bassist Roger Lima has a YT vid with him showing how to play it. 

My pinky finger is locking up badly learning the intro bit. 
It is not lost on me that it’s really really hard but it’s one of my favourite songs ever and even just playing a bar correctly has me smiling from ear to ear. 😁

Edited by Minininjarob

• 4 weeks later...

Guitarist in my band has just discovered Lonnie Mack and we are learning a couple of his songs.

Stop.

And Wham, but SRV's cover.  Not that it is much different apart from being a bit of a workout on the bass :) 

• Like 1

Something you can shale your bum to......

I love this version, mostly for the energy in it and Jeremy Spencer's voice.

There's loads of variations as John McVie noodles around the scales and I'm torn between trying to nail this version note for note or just make the whole thing up. I'll probably end up learning it then just making it up when we play it as a band. As long as the changes are in the right place and the turn around matches the guitar every now and again then that's all that really matters 😂

• Like 2

I thought I should learn some REM and this song has an excellent bass part.

First thing I realised is there's far less notes than you'd think, loads of space in there. What I'm finding a little tricky is some weird rhythms. I need to learn some more of their songs

• Like 4

On 04/01/2023 at 19:34, SteveXFR said:

First thing I realised is there's far less notes than you'd think, loads of space in there. What I'm finding a little tricky is some weird rhythms. I need to learn some more of their songs

We started on this recently too. I love the space as well but our drummer keeps wanting me to put more in, I'm fighting it!

2 hours ago, Oopsdabassist said:

We started on this recently too. I love the space as well but our drummer keeps wanting me to put more in, I'm fighting it!

Don't do it. The space is what gives it that feel. 

I tried adding in the notes that feel like they should be there. I recorded it and played it back and it kind of works but isn't as good.

• Like 1

I just transcribed the bass line to Frank Wilson's tune Do I Love You.

A tasty chunk of northern soul which one of my bands has decided to learn.

Sadly, as we play mostly parties and pubs, the audience want songs it knows and can dance and sing along with. So the pattern will be, learn it, pay to rehearse it, spend time getting it tight then play it to an indifferent public and eventually drop it. 

No matter how often this happens they will continue to choose 'cool' unpopular music and quite frankly I am done arguing with them.

I'm 59. I've been through my 'cool' years, now I just want to entertain folk.

• Like 5

On 04/01/2023 at 22:34, SteveXFR said:

My first ever bass song is REM - The one I love. I've been playing for a couple of months now but it sounds really good even from early days.

That whole album is great, I understand that John Paul Jones was involved in it, which adds to the story.

Edited by Jon the Turk
Added a note
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jon the Turk said:

That whole album is great, I understand that John Paul Jones was involved in it, which adds to the story.

Apparently he did the string arrangements for a few songs. REM knew what they wanted it to sound like but didn't know how to get there so the producer called up John Paul Jones to get the job done right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Sadly, as we play mostly parties and pubs, the audience want songs it knows and can dance and sing along with. So the pattern will be, learn it, pay to rehearse it, spend time getting it tight then play it to an indifferent public and eventually drop it. 

No matter how often this happens they will continue to choose 'cool' unpopular music and quite frankly I am done arguing with them.

I occasionally dep in a band who recently started doing this song. It has gone down a storm at every gig. 

1 hour ago, JohnR said:

I occasionally dep in a band who recently started doing this song. It has gone down a storm at every gig. 

I stand to be corrected of course. But all of my previous experience with this lot suggests we won't enjoy that experience.

On 06/01/2023 at 17:15, stewblack said:

Great song and you should be gigging it for the local scooter club?!? 

On 06/01/2023 at 17:15, stewblack said:

Have you checked out the Brucie Baby version of this.  Not quite Northern Soul, but still good!