Why become a member? ×

Which Backup Bass?

redbandit599

Oh I know, this is going to be very subjective! 😁

Right, so given I fall into the 'like to have a back up but never actually used it' brigade when gigging, I'm starting to think that lugging my Sandberg out just to sit in a case all night is probably not sensible.

So, ideal back up for me is 5 strings, light (it's going to be dead weight so let's not have too much), good solid rock sound and not too fugly. Starting to get fussier about necks on 5's as I've been spoilt by my Dingwall NG2 which has a nice sort of rolled edge to it, which is lush - so none of those square edged necks please.

Also, cheap so I don't worry too much, say £300 new or secondhand.

What do you reckon/use?

24 minutes ago, police squad said:

bass collection basses from the early 90s. Cheap, very good and available as a 5 string

Doh, i've got 3 Bass collection 5 Strings and I recommended a Squier first 😁. At around 7lb with great Japanese workmanship, Gotoh hardware and IMHO cheap as chips.

• Like 1

I had a Squier Affinity Jazz as a back up bass for my Sadowsky for nearly 10 years. I never used it once at a gig. I think I played it for ten minutes in Guitar Guitar before I bought it. I don't I ever played it after that other than a 'does it still work?' two minute check about once a year. I maybe changed the strings once around 2012

In an ideal world, the backup bass should be pretty much indistinguishable from the main gigging bass. In practical terms though, I just want something that is inexpensive, passive (no risk of failing batteries), capable of having a half decent set up and  something I didn't mind collecting the odd cosmetic 'ding' from being lugged about in a gig bag. 

Squier always wins for me as a back up bass (a new Affinity Squier five string jazz is about £220). The budget level Sterling by Musicman would also be in my consideration too but they are a bit more expensive. 

I don't buy back up basses anymore as invariably I would end up selling or trading them for something else as I never used them.

I have a few basses that are all different in some way and that I would gig on their own so each bass is effectively a main bass that I will use when I feel like using it. I have no problem switching between a £3000 bass or a £140 Harley Benton depending on what I fancy using that night. There's actually something extremely satisfying about having such a cheap bass that plays so well and sounds so good. 

55 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

I don't buy back up basses anymore as invariably I would end up selling or trading them for something else as I never used them.

I have a few basses that are all different in some way and that I would gig on their own so each bass is effectively a main bass that I will use when I feel like using it. I have no problem switching between a £3000 bass or a £140 Harley Benton depending on what I fancy using that night. There's actually something extremely satisfying about having such a cheap bass that plays so well and sounds so good. 

What I've ended up doing is practicing at home with my backup Yamaha, so as to preserve the strings on my gigging Lakland for as long as possible, so that way I get use out of both basses

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Graham said:

What I've ended up doing is practicing at home with my backup Yamaha, so as to preserve the strings on my gigging Lakland for as long as possible, so that way I get use out of both basses

Haha, exactly the same for me, right down to the brands in question!

S.P.

• Like 1

I make sure my backup basses are actually ones I would play now and again to just mix it up a bit and give them some worth so they don't just sit there doing nothing. So my main bass is a Fender Jazz 75 American Vintage reissue and my back up is a Fender Jazz CIJ 66 Reissue. The later bass I have had for 30 years but is the best bass I have ever owned so I just flip flop between the two. My other backup is a Fender FSR 70's Precision which I play occasionally but I am having a fretless board made for it so its then going to become the back up for my Limelight 1960 Fretless Jazz that's due any day now. So my two back up basses are good enough to be played as main basses and I do use them all but are not quite as high quality or as financially valuable.

What about a Musicman Sub Ray5? They are good basses and around £350 new.

Edited by Linus27

I have a MIJ Jazz and a Squier VM fretless, each is the backup to the other, despite being quite different in tone (but same shape and size, which makes playing accurately much easier irrespective of which one I'm using). Recently for some gigs I've gotten lazy and only taken one or the other, partly due to lack of space in the car if I need to give someone a lift and/or transport the PA too. But for a well-paid, high-profile gig I'd take both. Also I have a completely separate backup amp or some other means of quickly plugging into eg the PA.

I've never had a bass fail in a gig situation but twice I've had an amp fail (just before, not during) and once I've had a lead fail at a rehearsal.

My backup depends on which band I'm with, and what my "main" instrument is.
For a while, I was taking my tiny Tanglewood Elfin as backup - as like you, I prefer to have a backup, just in case, but don't normally intend to use it.
For another band, I was using a P for one set, and a Jazz for the next (as part of our needs for that particular band / show) - so my backup was there anyway

As for 5 string backup, I was going to suggest maybe a 2nd hand Sire or maybe a Squier (new or even better, 2nd hand)
I've not really played my 5 string much at all, and it's just a tad heavy. So I got myself an Ibanez Mikro -  the 5 string version.
Now you don't see many of those about, but I got one from Europe. It's tiny & very light (think it's 26" scale) and sounds surprisingly good
The B string sounds better than some full scale 5 strings I've played too

Now I just need to re-familiarise myself with 5'ers and with the very short scale ;)

2 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

I've never had a bass fail in a gig situation but twice I've had an amp fail (just before, not during) and once I've had a lead fail at a rehearsal.

well I have. My trusty '73 P bass pickup went open circuit during the first set. I was miles from home and didn't have a backup. 

There was a very faint sound, so I turned everything flat out and put it thru the PA. It sounded pretty awful but got me thru the gig.

Now i always carry 2 basses (unless I am using my Jazz bass, where I hope, both pickups wont die at the same time)

With the Police tribute, I carry 2 basses with the matching outfits that Sting would have worn.

1 hour ago, police squad said:

Now i always carry 2 basses (unless I am using my Jazz bass, where I hope, both pickups wont die at the same time.

I’ve had a jack socket fail on me once, mid gig, so don’t count on being saved by having 2 pickups!

5 hours ago, Linus27 said:

I make sure my backup basses are actually ones I would play now and again to just mix it up a bit and give them some worth so they don't just sit there doing nothing.

This ^^^

I don’t have a favourite as such - just rotate my 4 to get decent use out of each

• Like 1