Why become a member? ×

Flatwound strings.. what make/model recomnended?

Chrisbassboy5

I think it would help here if @Chrisbassboy5 actually said what he's looking for. What sound are you after, Chris?

Flats can give a "normal" bass note, but without any rasp/grit sound, or a smooth deep tone, or a double bass sound and more. What is it?

I use Chromes. They give a ringing "normal" note with no rasp. Yet that also varies depending on the bass it's on. So, really you need to try strings out for yourself to know for sure.

I use Steve Harris signature flats on Steve Harris signature model p bass. I've tried these on other basses but there was too much tension in the neck.

I am very impressed with Fender flats 9050s. Quality sound playability and price.

+1 for the fender 9050’s nice deep lows and a clean sound.   ive got 5 different types of flats  and various tapewounds on 8 basses, and one with a set of worn in half rounds that I really like,    what sound are you looking for Chris 🙂

After trying Pyramids, LaBellas, Thomastiks & Chromes I finally settled for D'Addario Nylon Tapes on my P Bass! I think they sound awesome, they thud like flats but they have a real clear fundamental that still cuts through the mix. I say give 'em a try! 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grangur said:

I use Chromes. They give a ringing "normal" note with no rasp.

Absolutely, start with the sound and work back - I have the same question but it may be chromes is my answer. I have just put half-rounds on my fretless (D'Addario nickel 45-100) and I'm not really getting the point so far. I mean they aren't smooth rounds (sonically). I'd like the mid and some top, won't get the rasp on fretless anyway. I suppose what I want is max brightness out of flats. Would that be chromes then?

I had TI jazz on my bass for 3 years & then the D string popped at the bridge. I was gutted, as you can’t buy single strings & they were just starting to wear in nicely. 

After a similar thread to this one, I opted for Chromes & considering they’re @ £20 cheaper than TIs, they sound fantastic.  They’re brighter, but if that’s an issue, the tone knob resolves it. 

16 hours ago, Grangur said:

I think it would help here if @Chrisbassboy5 actually said what he's looking for. What sound are you after, Chris?

Flats can give a "normal" bass note, but without any rasp/grit sound, or a smooth deep tone, or a double bass sound and more. What is it?

I use Chromes. They give a ringing "normal" note with no rasp. Yet that also varies depending on the bass it's on. So, really you need to try strings out for yourself to know for sure.

Am after a string bass sound for my bass guitar..

There are also stories on here about strings unwinding with flats..  how do you properly string them. Ta

15 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

+1 for the fender 9050’s nice deep lows and a clean sound.   ive got 5 different types of flats  and various tapewounds on 8 basses, and one with a set of worn in half rounds that I really like,    what sound are you looking for Chris 🙂

Smooth rich string bass sound. Mostly play in a wind band...

7 hours ago, Chrisbassboy5 said:

Smooth rich string bass sound. Mostly play in a wind band...

Not tried them myself yet, but been told several times that the nylon wraps will do just what you have in mind. Anyone using? nylon wraps I mean ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soledad said:

Not tried them myself yet, but been told several times that the nylon wraps will do just what you have in mind. Anyone using? nylon wraps I mean ;)

+1 to this. Not tried them myself but I've heard someone playing them and it did sound very string bass-like.

All the flats I've tried (la Bella, TI and chrome's) reduce finger noise and are pretty deep and full. Some are maybe a bit brighter than others but there's a 'family' sound to them all - which, to me, sounds like deeper, richer flats. Tape wounds sounded even more so - more like an upright.

But that could have also been the player, the guitar, the amp and eq and the general vibe (light jazz). How much part the strings actually played i don't know - but it was clearly a sound the guy was aiming for and he'd chosen nylon tapewounds to help him get it

Edited by Skinnyman
  • Like 1

I got quite ocd about my strings at one stage, trawling the marketplace and eBay buying all different types , looking for the ones that had the right sound and feel and tension that I wanted with minimal finger noise. D’addario black nylon tapes did exactly this  , I’ve had them on for about 3 years on a us jazz I play every day, and they still have a clean warm deep tone .   Imo it’s worth experimenting with different ones and if you don’t like them just sell them on 🙂

• Like 1

I like La Bella on my P bass and Chromes on my Jazz. Tomastik flats are lovely sounding with one caveat. The A string is too thin (.070). It was too slack and I ran out of adjustment on the bridge saddle to get the intonation right. I changed it to a Chrome .075 and it was much better.

Edited by Dan Dare