Why become a member? ×

Flatwound strings.. what make/model recomnended?

Chrisbassboy5

D'Addario Chrome XL flats are excellent. Fender 9050 are very similar sounding but cheaper. Just bought a set of Adagio 45-100 flats off eBay for £13.99. Pleasantly surprised how good they sound. Similar fundamental toneto the other two, maybe slightly brighter but also slightly higher tension than either the Chromes or the Fenders. 

Edited by MoJo

4 hours ago, MoJo said:

slightly higher tension than either the Chromes or the Fenders.

sounds good to me - one issue I have with quite a few string sets  is a soggy bottom, I mean a certain slop on the E (even worse on some Bs).
Worth a try, may not last so long but at 1/3rd the price that's fair enough.
By the way, warming to my new (first time user) D'Addario half rounds - I may come round to liking them.

La Bella 760FL on my precision bass. They were secondhand when i bought them three years ago, and they are still going strong. They aren't dull and thuddy - they've got a warm, rich tone to them, but very smooth and full at the same time. Got the same on my MIJ Mustang bass.

I've also used TI flats and D'Addario Chromes on other basses and they were great too. TIs a bit too light for my taste, but sounded lovely.