Why become a member? ×

‘In Stock’

ped

We're entering a "golden age" of the Internet, online shopping really is going to have a big and lasting impact - we've all seen the news stories on how bricks & mortar retailers have had a dismal time recently, in fact this year I believe without Black Friday, it would have been a disasterous last quarter. The fact is, (lots) more music shops are closing than opening, soon there won't be any/many left (there will be some left, but for the country at large, there will be so few as to be uselessly far away) and there's a good variety of online ones now. There's eBay and Amazon (I know they're platforms, not retailers in themselves...), gear4music, thomann, guitarguitar, Andertons, etc etc the list goes on. If Gear4Music don't do well they'll soon be rendered unprofitable by the others. I suspect they're (on average) doing well enough, given all the others are probably similarly run on the same principles of minimising costs, and will be around for a little while longer though.

I had a similar experience experience to @ped recently. I run my own studio part time and after discussions with the band they decided they wanted to use the studio drum kit. I said that it'd need re-skinned to get the best out of it. They agreed so I order the skins. All are "in stock." 

A couple of days later I've not received any dispatch email so I login. It says that it's not going to be dispatched for more than 2 weeks and if I was unlucky it might not arrive for the recording days. I phone them up and one of the skins was in Sweden. I point out the current stock situation which shows everything in stock. They basically sent it all next day for no charge.

At least it says clearly that the expected delivery would be 7th-10th of January. 

What really annoys me is when they say it's in stock (somewhere in the planet) and don't indicate delivery dates... so you order, and THEN they tell you "oh, we hope to receive it by next week, you ok with that?". Tell me before I order, then I'll decide.

I ordered that Ibanez soft wide strap from Absolute Music and that's what happened. It was finally delivered... while I was away from the country, so I still haven't even seen it. My girlfriend likes it 'though ;)

These days, 'In Stock' frequently means the item is being held by a third party, who will fulfil the order and bill the retailer. I believe this was the case with the recent clear-out of Ampeg valve heads.

Even if a retailer has a stock item in their possession, it may be at a warehouse rather than at their retail outlet. Andertons do this - always contact them beforehand if there's something you particularly want to try, as they may have to move it from warehouse to shop.

If I was dealing with an online retailer I’d obviously agree that in stock and the delivery date mean it’s not going to be with me any time soon. However as they have a physical shop I thought I could pick up an item that’s ‘in stock’ instead of having it delivered. Wrong. It’s not in stock at the shop. To me, that means they need to clarify what they mean. 

Good examole is Argos. If an item is in stock it says so, otherwise it says which store it’s at or whether it’s just online. If it’s not in stock and requires ordering from their supplier it says not in stock because as far as the buyer is concerned, it isn’t. 

• Like 2

Aye - different companies have their own thing.

I went into Anderton's yesterday (it was packed); I overheard a salesperson talking to a customer saying that they are having difficulty getting things from their warehouse and it could be a couple of hours.

I suppose with "in stock" for an internet site, the precise location may less important.

I also looked at something in the Argos in my local Sainsbury's yesterday and they didn't have it there but said it could be ready for collection in the morning.

5 minutes ago, ped said:

If I was dealing with an online retailer I’d obviously agree that in stock and the delivery date mean it’s not going to be with me any time soon. However as they have a physical shop I thought I could pick up an item that’s ‘in stock’ instead of having it delivered. Wrong. It’s not in stock at the shop. To me, that means they need to clarify what they mean. 

Good examole is Argos. If an item is in stock it says so, otherwise it says which store it’s at or whether it’s just online. If it’s not in stock and requires ordering from their supplier it says not in stock because as far as the buyer is concerned, it isn’t. 

right on

1 minute ago, bobbass4k said:

I've always thought of gear4 as an online shop. Having been to the York showroom I certainly wouldn't expect them to have stock of everything they're listing online there without confirming first. Can't say I really see the problem. 

yes some of there stuff comes from elsewhere which you pay extra p an p for

On 30/12/2018 at 00:39, Norris said:

I bought my son a Hofner Ignition Violin Bass for Christmas from Anderton's. It arrived with lovely low action, intonated, and even pretty much in tune out of the box. Not all online retailers are bad :)

+1 for Anderson’s. if it’s in stock on their website then it’s either in the shop or in the warehouse round the corner.  They’re my local shop, and I’ve had experience of both letting them know that I wanted to pick something up so they got it in from the warehouse for me ahead of my visit, and also just turning up having checked that something was in stock and having them send someone to the warehouse to get what I was after. 

Never had a problem with Gear4Music though - only used them a couple of times but no problems, and for one order that I had to contact them about (placed an order on my phone shortly after moving house and didn’t spot that I hadn’t updated my account to the new address) they couldn’t have been more helpful in getting the delivery that had already been dispatched to the correct place

On 29/12/2018 at 18:50, taunton-hobbit said:

I'm bored with ordering stuff on EBay that's flagged as 'in stock in UK,' to find it arrives (eventually) having been posted in China.

😎

If its a business seller and you click onto their profile you can then click on your legal information which should show you where their business is actually located (or at least registered). 

The amount of times the listing says it ships from London but you check the legal information and the company is located in Shenzhen or Guangzhou! 

On 30/12/2018 at 10:51, bobbass4k said:

I've always thought of gear4 as an online shop. Having been to the York showroom I certainly wouldn't expect them to have stock of everything they're listing online there without confirming first. Can't say I really see the problem. 

But ped did check first, that’s the point. They had 2 items listed as in stock, just not in this country. Nowhere did it mention you’d better check where the location of the two items were.

They have waved the higher postage costs when I have spoken to them over the phone. I always use the line of ringing up as they are cheaper but not with the postage, three times now they have waved it. I tend to use PMT Brum in person but the few times I have to use these it’s been ok with no hassles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Painy said:

If its a business seller and you click onto their profile you can then click on your legal information which should show you where their business is actually located (or at least registered). 

The amount of times the listing says it ships from London but you check the legal information and the company is located in Shenzhen or Guangzhou! 

to true most stuff comes from china😷

11 hours ago, Japhet said:

I recently discovered that when an Ebay item's location is advertised as 'Middlesex', that is actually Middlesex - half way up the Yangtze river.

I recently wanted to return something and it was exactly that. I was given an address in China. I said no. I pointed out they stated a UK location, and I would return to a UK location... then they gave me a UK location, some unit in an industrial estate. I sent it there and got refunded quickly...

Ped.

I know you posted a phone screen shot, but if you go to their website it tells you where the item is in stock (warehouse in Sweden). Also i would assume no matter where it is they give you a delivery date so you can choose to buy or go elsewhere.

Pretty all up front IMO, but frustrating nonetheless. Been using them for years without too much hassle, and certainly less hassle than ive had from music shops in the past. They are always my first port of call for something (if Amazon dont have it)

My issue with supporting brick and mortar stores is it needs to go both ways. If im shopping with you, make it worth it. I understand shops have rents etc, but so do i, and like a shop, want to make the most of my limited funds. ive tired to buy from PMT at Old street a few times. each time ive gone in its been a case of 'we have it at our other branch, we can get it in for you'. I might as well just order on line rather than get a shop to order it for me. Saves me making another trip.

EDIT: Oppps, sorry, didnt see a page two to this thread. Seems like it was pointed out about location.

Edited by dave_bass5

I've used Gear4Music, Fairdeal in birmingham, GAK, dv247 and eBay quite a bit and never had any issues (just lucky I guess)

I also use CPC Farnell for PA stuff - they can be very cheap and delivery is usually next day and free if you spend more than a fiver

https://cpc.farnell.com/c/audio-visual/professional-sound-lighting

Edited by ricksterphil

On 29/12/2018 at 20:38, ambient said:

I’ve given up worrying about buying from bricks and mortar shops. Their customer service generally tends to be rubbish. For music gear stuff I either buy from Thomann or Amazon. Anything else it’s from Amazon.

I refuse to use Amazon for anything due to the way they treat their workers.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

I refuse to use Amazon for anything due to the way they treat their workers.

I totally agree, I actually tend to use Thomann, I only use Amazon if something is needed in a hurry. Though I do buy books from them; particularly academic texts, simply because they're so expensive from anywhere else. I tend to buy used ones from the Amazon marketplace.