Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

On the Floor is there not a switch under the expression treadle?

Yes, but like all Line6 Expression pedals It's quite hard to operate.

However, I wonder if it is accessed separately via a TSR jack and therefore an appropriately wired footswitch might work. Is that what you were going to suggest? 

Edit: just had a look at AFAICS the pedal part of an external expression pedal uses a 10kΩ linear pot wired between the T and S connections on a jack plug. That MIGHT mean that the footswitch part goes between the ring and sleeve. May have to make up a lead and experiment...

Unless of course you can confirm this via the Facebook group?

Edited by BigRedX

I've just had an email from Line6 saying that I can't plug a simple momentary footswitch into the EXP sockets on the Helix. I'm still tempted to solder some cables onto a TRS jack plug and see what touching various combinations together does.

Is anyone here using a Line6 branded external expression pedal with their Helix Floor? If so, what type of jack plug does it use to connect to the Helix TS or TRS?

And @fretmeister Thanks!

Having registered for a Line6 IdeaScale account, I have received my moderator approval and a link to "Complete My Profile".

Except that it leads to a 404 page.

When I try and log in from the Line6 IdeaScale home page I get a message telling that my verification failed and I might be a robot...

There's not even a way to contact anyone on IdeaScale without being logged in :-(((

The email comes from a "No Reply" address, and I have just tried to access the profile page from 2 other browsers without success, so I doubt it's my fault that I can't log in.

Edited by BigRedX

20 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I've just had an email from Line6 saying that I can't plug a simple momentary footswitch into the EXP sockets on the Helix. I'm still tempted to solder some cables onto a TRS jack plug and see what touching various combinations together does.

Is anyone here using a Line6 branded external expression pedal with their Helix Floor? If so, what type of jack plug does it use to connect to the Helix TS or TRS?

And @fretmeister Thanks!

it’ll be a TRS. So for example, look at an insert cable (one trs to two ts on a y cable) to use a volume pedal.

42 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

it’ll be a TRS. So for example, look at an insert cable (one trs to two ts on a y cable) to use a volume pedal.

Except all the discussions I found about using 3rd party expression pedals, said to use a standard TS cable with them. I'm hoping that the ring connection is for the switch under the pedal, but I won't get a chance to experiment for myself until next week.

5 minutes ago, Skybone said:

IIRC, I had loads of trouble registering on the Line6 Ideascale page.

And to be fair, any ideas that are not hi-gain boutique guitar amps don't really get many responses.

Still can't get in. The email link just stalls on "loading". No response so far from Line 6....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I’m getting a bit confused with how to route the following.

Quite simply I want to run one output completely dry out to my amp, and one output with an added Cab sim going to my DI for FOH (and my IEMs).

Any thoughts? This is where I got to, but can’t test until I get to the gig, so would be helpful to get it right haha.

B6B02E28-D322-4BEC-B968-94F04C8104D5.thumb.jpeg.fdd5cb280ee31983f0f70d5171fa5469.jpeg

Cheers

Si

10 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Hey all,

I’m getting a bit confused with how to route the following.

Quite simply I want to run one output completely dry out to my amp, and one output with an added Cab sim going to my DI for FOH (and my IEMs).

Any thoughts? This is where I got to, but can’t test until I get to the gig, so would be helpful to get it right haha.

B6B02E28-D322-4BEC-B968-94F04C8104D5.thumb.jpeg.fdd5cb280ee31983f0f70d5171fa5469.jpeg

Cheers

Si

The simplest way is to have 2 mono paths, one with your fx, one dry, and then in the output pan them left and right and use left and right outs.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Royal Dave said:

The simplest way is to have 2 mono paths, one with your fx, one dry, and then in the output pan them left and right and use left and right outs.

Thinking this should work ok?!

753D271F-4F89-419D-97EE-2A8DE43BC89A.thumb.jpeg.7fd80d6ac2ca56703f8ccbedc63987f7.jpeg

44A5957F-F2FE-48B0-8D90-FFBC3C809251.thumb.jpeg.9fe76a4ac6a5bf914564bdb27df771dd.jpeg

Si

7 hours ago, Sibob said:

Thinking this should work ok?!

753D271F-4F89-419D-97EE-2A8DE43BC89A.thumb.jpeg.7fd80d6ac2ca56703f8ccbedc63987f7.jpeg

44A5957F-F2FE-48B0-8D90-FFBC3C809251.thumb.jpeg.9fe76a4ac6a5bf914564bdb27df771dd.jpeg

Si

I think I also went to the output and panned them L & R too when I did something similar, but don't know if that was necessary. I was sending a direct signal to amp and synthy sounds to PA, but whatever it was I used it for has long gone from the set, and therefore the Stomp too.
If you temporarily put some sort of wacky effect on the IR path and stick some headphones in, it should be clear if the right sounds are going to the correct ears.

• Thanks 1

Hi guys, don’t want to hijack the thread, but could I ask this question (posted on the DB forum but you guys probably know more…)

I play bass, DB and guitar and I have lots of pedals and preamps and am wondering whether the Helix would be appropriate for DB (I know it is for guitar and bass)

I’ve previously used a Fishman Platinum but don’t use this anymore. 

Any advice welcomed! 

45 minutes ago, Royal Dave said:

I think I also went to the output and panned them L & R too when I did something similar, but don't know if that was necessary. I was sending a direct signal to amp and synthy sounds to PA, but whatever it was I used it for has long gone from the set, and therefore the Stomp too.
If you temporarily put some sort of wacky effect on the IR path and stick some headphones in, it should be clear if the right sounds are going to the correct ears.

Typically the gig got cancelled because of illness, so at least I have a bit more time to test it.

Thanks very much.

Si

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Hi guys, don’t want to hijack the thread, but could I ask this question (posted on the DB forum but you guys probably know more…)

I play bass, DB and guitar and I have lots of pedals and preamps and am wondering whether the Helix would be appropriate for DB (I know it is for guitar and bass)

I’ve previously used a Fishman Platinum but don’t use this anymore. 

Any advice welcomed! 

I used it with my double bass for a while. I tried it with blending 2 pickups using left and right inputs (similar to a handful of the posts above) but ultimately found it too fiddly for this. A lot of my gigs had a very limited setup time and the less I had to mess with EQ the better. Someone better versed at dialling in a sound quickly might get on well with it. I also used it on a function gig where I had to swap between upright and electric. I tried this several ways; similar to above using left and right input so I didn't need to change patches and also with a dedicated patch that I switched between for each instrument. I did need an A/B switcher for this but did somehow manage patches with left and right inputs but I can't remember how. Again even though the gig required me to get there 3 or 4 hrs before playing the bass seemed to only get about 30 seconds of sound check time so I never really got it right.

One other thing to consider is input impedance. if you're using a piezo pickup then you may be better off with something higher than the 1 Mohm on the Helix (I think). I think my (old) Platinum has 10 m ohm. If you have an fdeck or similar you could plug into that first before going to the Helix. I just picked up a Fire-Eye Red-Eye which has made a big difference to the sound from my Full Circle. There's a talkbass thread in the amps/mics/pickups forum you might find interesting.  

Headway are bringing out a new version of the EDB 2 in November with a valve preamp. It might be worth waiting until that comes out to see if it might be more useful to you for double bass though you may still want the Helix for bass guitar and guitar.

I hope this hasn't been too rambling.

15 minutes ago, Apeneck Sweeney said:

I used it with my double bass for a while. I tried it with blending 2 pickups using left and right inputs (similar to a handful of the posts above) but ultimately found it too fiddly for this. A lot of my gigs had a very limited setup time and the less I had to mess with EQ the better. Someone better versed at dialling in a sound quickly might get on well with it. I also used it on a function gig where I had to swap between upright and electric. I tried this several ways; similar to above using left and right input so I didn't need to change patches and also with a dedicated patch that I switched between for each instrument. I did need an A/B switcher for this but did somehow manage patches with left and right inputs but I can't remember how. Again even though the gig required me to get there 3 or 4 hrs before playing the bass seemed to only get about 30 seconds of sound check time so I never really got it right.

One other thing to consider is input impedance. if you're using a piezo pickup then you may be better off with something higher than the 1 Mohm on the Helix (I think). I think my (old) Platinum has 10 m ohm. If you have an fdeck or similar you could plug into that first before going to the Helix. I just picked up a Fire-Eye Red-Eye which has made a big difference to the sound from my Full Circle. There's a talkbass thread in the amps/mics/pickups forum you might find interesting.  

Headway are bringing out a new version of the EDB 2 in November with a valve preamp. It might be worth waiting until that comes out to see if it might be more useful to you for double bass though you may still want the Helix for bass guitar and guitar.

I hope this hasn't been too rambling.

This isn’t rambling, it’s 100% what I needed (and why Basschat is amazing).

I was hoping I wouldn’t need a preamp but maybe an FDeck (or Fishman) would do the job. 

Seems there’s no single solution, but I sort of assumed that was the case.

I really appreciate your considered reply and advice. Thank you!

I think I will still invest in a Helix just now I know I’ll need to sort something for DB if/when I gig again.

• Like 1

I am very obsessed with my tone (pretty sure, more than I thought). I have played with new different bands in the last couple of months and I was always told that I had a really good tone. But I keep on experimenting. Besides, I am also a little bit obsessed with compressors and yesterday I spent a lot of time with them. 

First of all, I have been thinking about getting an external compressor. Nothing wrong with the ones in the HX, but none of them convince me 100%. I have the EBS Multicomp (the latest model with 3 knobs) which I use in rehearsals that I am provided amp and I only need a clean tone. I'm pretty happy with it. 

So, yesterday I put it before the HX Stomp and... I hated it. In the chain, there were a compressor (changing among the ones in the HX and the EBS), an ampeg SVT4 sim and an IR. The amp and IR didn't change during the test. Results: the Tubesim mode in the EBS acted weird, more like an overdrive (more aggressive than usual). The MB sounded lifeless and lacking mids. Surprisingly, the normal mode was fine. However, the compressors in the HX sounded fuller and much much better. Fuller I think it's the perfect term. I liked especially the Rochester and the LA Comp. The Rochester is the one I use in most of my presets, but I wanted to test it. I still think about getting the Darkglass Hyper Lumial, but I'm not sure. 

Why was I testing my EBS? Well, in one of the projects I'm in, I have to use a lot of synth sounds. There are 3 songs of the set that require a preset full of blocks, and I can't have my amp sim. I know I could play those songs without the amp sim, but in those songs there are some clean parts and I want to be consistent with my tone (obsessed...). My plan was removing the compressor block so I can have the amp sim and the IR, but that didn't work. So I removed the amp sim from all of my presets and I use a Markbass Vintage Pre after the HX. I liked the tone and I started comparing amp sims with the external preamp. In this case, none of the simulations sounded as good as the external preamp. I haven't given up in getting a better tone with just the HX, but yesterday, Markbass beat the amp sims.

12 minutes ago, acroxixo said:

need an advice before I spend money 😆 

Can I use an expression pedal on HX Stomp to control volume? Just like a volume pedal. 

You can assign the expression pedal to something in a block, and that includes volume, so yes, you can use it as volume, but note that is on a per patch basis, so if you want to make it volume in all your patches, you need to assign it in all those patches (and obviously then stops if you bypass).

• Like 1

On 13/10/2022 at 08:01, javi_bassist said:

I am very obsessed with my tone (pretty sure, more than I thought). I have played with new different bands in the last couple of months and I was always told that I had a really good tone. But I keep on experimenting. Besides, I am also a little bit obsessed with compressors and yesterday I spent a lot of time with them. 

First of all, I have been thinking about getting an external compressor. Nothing wrong with the ones in the HX, but none of them convince me 100%. I have the EBS Multicomp (the latest model with 3 knobs) which I use in rehearsals that I am provided amp and I only need a clean tone. I'm pretty happy with it. 

So, yesterday I put it before the HX Stomp and... I hated it. In the chain, there were a compressor (changing among the ones in the HX and the EBS), an ampeg SVT4 sim and an IR. The amp and IR didn't change during the test. Results: the Tubesim mode in the EBS acted weird, more like an overdrive (more aggressive than usual). The MB sounded lifeless and lacking mids. Surprisingly, the normal mode was fine. However, the compressors in the HX sounded fuller and much much better. Fuller I think it's the perfect term. I liked especially the Rochester and the LA Comp. The Rochester is the one I use in most of my presets, but I wanted to test it. I still think about getting the Darkglass Hyper Lumial, but I'm not sure. 

Why was I testing my EBS? Well, in one of the projects I'm in, I have to use a lot of synth sounds. There are 3 songs of the set that require a preset full of blocks, and I can't have my amp sim. I know I could play those songs without the amp sim, but in those songs there are some clean parts and I want to be consistent with my tone (obsessed...). My plan was removing the compressor block so I can have the amp sim and the IR, but that didn't work. So I removed the amp sim from all of my presets and I use a Markbass Vintage Pre after the HX. I liked the tone and I started comparing amp sims with the external preamp. In this case, none of the simulations sounded as good as the external preamp. I haven't given up in getting a better tone with just the HX, but yesterday, Markbass beat the amp sims.

Funnily enough, I've recently started to build up a mini pedal board with the stomp central, and I'm running the multicomp 2 knob version instead of a compressor block and I love it! Feels like everything within the stomp is more controlled. Gain is set low though!

Something else I'm experimenting with is using no preamp block and just using an ir. Relying  on the actual bass to sculpt the tone... and I must say it's working a treat!  Also means its another free block to allow more space for fx creativity within a single patch!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Elfrasho said:

Funnily enough, I've recently started to build up a mini pedal board with the stomp central, and I'm running the multicomp 2 knob version instead of a compressor block and I love it! Feels like everything within the stomp is more controlled. Gain is set low though!

Something else I'm experimenting with is using no preamp block and just using an ir. Relying  on the actual bass to sculpt the tone... and I must say it's working a treat!  Also means its another free block to allow more space for fx creativity within a single patch!

I switched the EBS for a MXR compressor. And I am very pleased with the result. I will keep the EBS because I like it, but for now, the MXR will live with the HX.

What I am removing from my presets is the IRs. I find I like more the tone of my basses with a preamp or with the Studio preamp. 

• 3 weeks later...