Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

44 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

If you've got a Helix why do you need the Eventide?

That's really what's stopping me even thinking of buying one. It does make lots of sounds the Helix doesn't make. It would also cost  more than I paid for the Helix Floor. Optimum number of effects pedals = N+1

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, CJPJ said:

To be fair, that's a bit like saying 'if you've got a bass, do you even need another one?' 😀

If you're a gigging bassist then you need a second (ideally identical) one as spare in case you break a string or have some other technical mishap. I play two different types of bass in two different bands so nowadays I have a total of four basses - two 5-string basses of one band and two Bass VIs for the other.

15 hours ago, BassBus said:

That's really what's stopping me even thinking of buying one. It does make lots of sounds the Helix doesn't make. It would also cost  more than I paid for the Helix Floor. Optimum number of effects pedals = N+1

For me the optimum number of pedals is one that does everything that I want. I may even dispense with the Helix Floor and just use the Native plug-in on the computer. The computer is already our drummer and second synth player, so it would reduce the amount of kit we need to take to a gig, plus it would also apply all the patch changes in the correct places in the song (something I sometimes fail to do).

• Like 1

Finally got around to doing the 3.5 firmware update yesterday evening. Failed twice before it finally installed which was a bit nerve-wracking.

I did notice that post-update the patch selection on the Helix seemed a bit sluggish when connected to my Mac with HX Edit open to the point where a couple of times I thought I hadn't pressed to relevant foot swtich properly. As I was refining the patches for a couple of new songs I needed to have the program open, but I've never noticed this previously. Hopefully I'll have a chance to see how it behaves on it own later today. 

• Like 2

Just tried my Helix again without HX Edit active. The Preset select switches on the top row (I have mine sent up with 4 Snapshots on the bottom row and 4 Presets on the top) are now instantaneous but the Preset Up/Down switches still seem a little slow, although not as bad as yesterday when connected to the HX Edit application.

What was somewhat worrying is that when I switched the Helix on this time it insisted on rebuilding all my user programs again - even though it did this already yesterday after the firmware update. I have a feeling this happened after that last big firmware update as well. Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?

May be a bit late to the party here, but I had a stomp earlier in the year and moved it on as I couldn't shake the digital "flatness"...

Obviously all you folks on this thread have had far more success than I had with the helix gear and I'm thinking of taking another dip!

Do any of you miss your analogue gear, and what are your secrets to overcoming the digital quality? Torn between a stomp or the Two tones revolt that comes out next month, but the stomp seems much better value!

9 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

May be a bit late to the party here, but I had a stomp earlier in the year and moved it on as I couldn't shake the digital "flatness"...

Obviously all you folks on this thread have had far more success than I had with the helix gear and I'm thinking of taking another dip!

Do any of you miss your analogue gear, and what are your secrets to overcoming the digital quality? Torn between a stomp or the Two tones revolt that comes out next month, but the stomp seems much better value!

I'm probably the wrong person to give advice since I haven't had an all-analogue signal path for my bass rig since 1989, but...

IMO the most important thing is not the try and chase the sound of your current rig, but work on something that still sounds great with the context of whatever band(s) you are playing with. Over the years I've been through 5 significantly different bass effects rigs and each of them has required me to start from scratch building the patches I need for my various musical projects. It has helped that in most cases changing rig has generally corresponded with joining a new band that had different sonic requirements for the bass guitar part.

• Like 2

Got to agree with @BigRedX, and say that you need to work on a sound that works for you and/or the band/musical project.

Try and approach building a new sound as if you've just got a new rig. Find an amp/cab sound you're happy with, tweak it till sounds how you want it, then start adding effects. If your core sound isn't right, then you're not going to be happy until it does.

Adding some IR's might help getting the sounds you're after. Bought some Celestion IR's, and they've made a massive difference.

Thanks for the advice, folks! 

I think a bit of perspective change is needed for me to be honest.  I've always thought that it instantly had to replace at least my drive pedals to be any good.  In reality though, it's replacing a sansamp VTDI that I didn't get along with, and I was happy for that to be nothing more than an FOH DI with parallel to my amp. In this context, there's no reason why the stomp can't do the job and then some. 

I do wish that the parallel out didn't rely on the FX loop though, as I don't want my external effects to go through the compressor block I've got on there.

Just in case any of our lot don't check the FX for sale (aye, right :laugh1:)

If OOO Mods delete.

Looking for a swap of a vgc Stomp plus £700 for my mint (I know, but in this case it's true) Helix Rack and foot controller boxed with unclaimed Helix Native discount 

Seen here

Ta

14 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

I do wish that the parallel out didn't rely on the FX loop though, as I don't want my external effects to go through the compressor block I've got on there.

That sounds like a limitation of the Stomp. I'm pretty sure you can do what you want with the full Helix Floor (or Rack).

I think the other thing you need to consider is the trade-off (if there is one) between the convenience of having a suitable sound for each part of every song in a single unit and just a single footswitch press away versus having exactly the sound you want but with a more complex pedal board, and also if you can tell the difference between the two in the context of the overall band sound anyway.

Before I switched to programmable multi-effects units, I found I was compromising my live sound anyway, because it was more convenient to simply have one distortion/chorus/flanger setting for the whole set even if it wasn't necessarily the best one for each individual song (or even section of the song). 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

That sounds like a limitation of the Stomp. I'm pretty sure you can do what you want with the full Helix Floor (or Rack).

I wonder if panning both paths left and right and using one out for mixer and the other for amp would be a work around 🤔. I'd go ampless for convenience, but we don't always use subs in our set up.  That, and I love my current amp set up and am pretty sure I'd miss it.

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I think the other thing you need to consider is the trade-off (if there is one) between the convenience of having a suitable sound for each part of every song in a single unit and just a single footswitch press away versus having exactly the sound you want but with a more complex pedal board, and also if you can tell the difference between the two in the context of the overall band sound anyway.

Before I switched to programmable multi-effects units, I found I was compromising my live sound anyway, because it was more convenient to simply have one distortion/chorus/flanger setting for the whole set even if it wasn't necessarily the best one for each individual song (or even section of the song). 

Fortunately I'm not a heavy effects user... half of our set is done with solo'd octaver which my 3 leaf octabvre covers, and the rest is done with specific C4 patches or clean bass.  I do use a hotwax pedal for a couple of sections of songs to give a boost and bit of dirt and a sovtek deluxe of fuzz infrequently.  It would be great if it covered those, but from what I remember this is where I soured on the stomp last time I had one.

Far better players than myself get great results with this, so I don't doubt that it's me that's the issue though.  I think some heavy youtubing is in order!

As I often say regarding modelling devices, is that there is no need to stick to bass-orientated modules for processing the bass guitar. Unlike their real-life counterparts there is absolutely no chance of damaging them by putting a bass guitar signal through them. The worst that can happen is that you won't like how it sounds. And use a bit of lateral thinking for you distortion/drive sounds. Remember that just about every amp sim will produce some degree of distortion - I use one on a couple of my bass patches simply because the drive sound it produces works better for the songs than any of the dedicated distortion pedal sims. The trick is to spend some time experimenting, and be flexible in your thinking.

• Like 1

One of the main contributors to the Fractal Axe3 and FM3, Austin Buddy, has a bass amp model pack utilising mostly the internal guitar amps as bass amps a few and far between on this platform.

I'm still working my way through it, but I'm surprised at how good some of his patches sound considering they're based on guitar amps and FX